@penn state LOSS
@ohio state LOSS
@indiana LOSS
@nebraska WIN
@michigan LOSS
@purdue LOSS
@illinois LOSS
@maryland LOSS

They had 4 road losses against non-tournament teams. (Same as Syracuse)
They had 2 (of 4) road wins against non-tournament teams. (Same as Syracuse)

They finished 19-14. (Syracuse 18-14)

Michigan State should have / could have been left out of the tournament all together let a lone a #9 seed. This is the one I'd love to hear the Committee Chair, Michigan St. AD Mark Hollis, explain.

How do you justify MSU as a #9 when leaving Syracuse out? (I don't care that Syracuse is out) I just want to hear the justification for Michigan State as #9.

there non conference schedule helped them forgivew the putrid road numbers like us

How does Wisconsin feel? They finished 2nd in the regular season and the tournament with 6 more wins than MSU, finished with 7 road/neutral wins, and received the same seed as MSU. Ridiculous.

and they swept Minnesota, beat them out in the regular season standings, went further in the conference tourney, had basically the same overall record and were 3 seed lines below them. also ridiculous.

they got a #9 seed

Neutral Court 2-3

loss to Arizona (Hawaii)
loss to Kentucky (MSG)
WIN st johns (bahamas)
loss to baylor (bahamas)
WIN wichita state (Bahamas)

True Road 2-8

@duke LOSS
@minnesota WIN
@penn state LOSS
@ohio state LOSS
@indiana LOSS
@nebraska WIN
@michigan LOSS
@purdue LOSS
@illinois LOSS
@maryland LOSS

They had 4 road losses against non-tournament teams. (Same as Syracuse)
They had 2 (of 4) road wins against non-tournament teams. (Same as Syracuse)

They finished 19-14. (Syracuse 18-14)

Michigan State should have / could have been left out of the tournament all together let a lone a #9 seed. This is the one I'd love to hear the Committee Chair, Michigan St. AD Mark Hollis, explain.

How do you justify MSU as a #9 when leaving Syracuse out? (I don't care that Syracuse is out) I just want to hear the justification for Michigan State as #9.
I guess because Michigan St had 2 sub 100 losses to our 6...and their coach is named Izzo not cranky Boeheim. We had more top 50 wins and better ones. This committee did not value good wins, only not having bad losses. Total change from last 10 years.

If you don't want to be the victim of "arbitrary" committee decisions, win more games. I have no sympathy for us this year. If we got in this year, we would have had the lowest RPI by far of any at-large team to ever make it to the tournament. Yes, there are 68 teams now but that's only four more than what it was, not twenty more.

They had some good wins but they also had some atrocious losses. If you could track steady, game-by-game improvement from this team, I'd like to see your work. They were spotty all year and while better in conference, we still had lots of discouraging play all the way to the end, including the ACC tourney. They had lots of chances to take the bid by the throat and didn't. I just don't get the outrage.

Michigan State got in because the committee loved Minnesota. Why else would Minnesota get a 5 seed.

It's a joke. Michigan State a 9 was a joke.

Michigan as a 7 is a joke as well. 2 seeds lower than a Minnesota team that it throttled just days before while on their way to beating three straight tournament teams including the regular season champion on the way to a conference championship.

Michigan as a 7 is a joke as well. 2 seeds lower than a Minnesota team that it throttled just days before while on their way to beating three straight tournament teams including the regular season champion on the way to a conference championship.
Michigan got a tough draw. I thought they were a 6 seed.
Louisville 2nd round is tough.

They get treated like a great program, we don't, if they had the same exact resume as us, there is no way in hell Usc,K-state, or Wake would have got a bid over them.

If you don't want to be the victim of "arbitrary" committee decisions, win more games. I have no sympathy for us this year. If we got in this year, we would have had the lowest RPI by far of any at-large team to ever make it to the tournament. Yes, there are 68 teams now but that's only four more than what it was, not twenty more.

They had some good wins but they also had some atrocious losses. If you could track steady, game-by-game improvement from this team, I'd like to see your work. They were spotty all year and while better in conference, we still had lots of discouraging play all the way to the end, including the ACC tourney. They had lots of chances to take the bid by the throat and didn't. I just don't get the outrage.

outstanding post. Yeah, we played better after the first two months of horrific play, but like you said, we were spotty as hell, and ended the season losing 5 of 7. Yeah we beat Duke and yeah we smashed GTECH at the Dome, but Ville swept us(Wake managed to smack them in their place), we lost to freaking Pitt and Tech and then the Miami game last week was really frustrating. Besides spotty play all season, how about the fact that we rarely put 40 minutes of good basketball together?? I agree that our resume was better than USC, but it is not exactly a blowout win in that regard. of all the horrific losses, BC alone would have gotten us in if we beat them. That is sad.

if UL had shot against us like they did vs Wake we would have won.. if they shoot poorly they lose in the first round of the ACC tourney.. oh wait thats what happened..

The post was about Michigan state

My only hope for the NCAA tournament is that the B1G gets eliminated in the first round.

B1G is the most powerful and influential conference in the land. Their alliance is PAC12. And their heated enemy is ACC.

SEC and B12 are neutral/slight enemy to them.

by what measure? would a loss to penn state instead have been historically bad?

BC was 9-23. That's pretty bad.
Historically in worst home loss in Syracuse history and coming to a team that finished 8th out of 10 in the big East. Oh and just to rub salt in the wound Georgetown was the 9th place team.

2 more road wins and we may have been looking at a 9 seed as well...
Exactly. Win either the Miami or Uconn game and we're in.

Early season road and neutral wins are extremely important. It was the biggest difference between this year and last year.

B1G is the most powerful and influential conference in the land. Their alliance is PAC12. And their heated enemy is ACC.

SEC and B12 are neutral/slight enemy to them.
You get a cookie.They also have a strategic alliance with the BigEast, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I interpret this to mean Michigan State is being reward for playing Kentucky and Arizona even though they got bitch slapped. That's assinine. losses shouldn't count as + points.

its ALWAYS been this way. Teams have always been disproportionately rewarded for just playing top teams like that, especially on the road. The fact that it shouldn't elevate your status if you get whooped is irrelevant. We should be trying to maximize our chances at getting into the tournament which is a different thing than winning as many games as possible. Someday our schedulers might get that concept.

they beat 2 tournament teams away from home. we beat 0 and had 2 total wins.

All we had to do was beat Miami. Or hell just 1 of St JOhns (home) Gtown (home) UConn (neutral) or BC (away) and we are in.

What's worse in my opinion, is that I think just the opposite - I don't think there is ANY guarantee that if we won any of those games that it would have even made a difference. There is no consistent standard nor specific qualifications to be able to know what gets one team in vs another team. We can only assume the rationale but we also know that it could change year to year, case by case, without anyone's knowledge.

I am pretty sure just 1 or 2 games during the season would have made the difference. If Rhode Island bowed out of the A-10 early there was literally no alternatives left and we would have likely made it as is. In the end we needed to win an ACC game

Don't believe everything JB says to the exact word - there is always some context behind those words. We all knew the NIT was quite a possibility a few week ago, but I doubt he was told "your team will be in the NIT". Say he was told you guys probably need to win a good game in the ACC to avoid the NIT. That was not inaccurate or a conspiracy based statement, but probably communicated in a certain way by JB after the fact.

In that same presser he said UNC Greensboro should be a 5/6 seed which is totally ridiculous. And he knows it's ridiculous as well.

Just to put this on record. SU lost to Miami who is a better team than every team in the A10. I believe they would finish first or second in every other league in the country.

Just to put this on record. SU lost to Miami who is a better team than every team in the A10. I believe they would finish first or second in every other league in the country.

Miami? First or second in Pac 12 or Big 12? No way man. Sure they are pretty solid but they can't score. Even a bad Syracuse D held them to 55/62 in two matchups. They would lose 7 0r 8 out of 10 against Arizona/UCLA/Oregon/Kansas/Baylor and probably would be lucky to split with teams like Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa State, WVU, etc.

Miami? First or second in Pac 12 or Big 12? No way man. Sure they are pretty solid but they can't score. Even a bad Syracuse D held them to 55/62 in two matchups. They would lose 7 0r 8 out of 10 against Arizona/UCLA/Oregon/Kansas/Baylor and probably would be lucky to split with teams like Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa State, WVU, etc.
I did make the statement a bit broad for the purpose of debate. They don't play an open style like the BIG12 or PAC12, so it is difficult to say, but I do think they would be at the top in all the other conferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom