Might cut the cord | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Was just on YouTube TV site. It says Share With Your Family up to 6 accounts. It goes on to say up to 3 streams. What exactly does that mean? Is that all under the same roof or could you use a family member's account who lives in the same area?
I’m here in Syracuse and my son goes to grad school in buffalo gets it for free as one of my shared users.

I'll add my vote for YouTube TV. Saving me a ton of money and has pretty much all of the channels my family watches. My wife and I have completely opposite tv viewing habits... she likes reality tc shows like Kardashians, Real Housewives of whatever, etc... I like sports, science, history, etc... and we are both satisfied. I also like the YouTube tv DVR, while it's not that intuitive its nice to not have to worry about erasing old stuff. One other great benefit of Youtube TV is that you can watch on any iOS device - either phone or tablet which is nice for when you are on the go

Downsides
- no NFLtv, which isn't generally a problem until the Bills/Pats game gets flexed to a Saturday afternoon
- the UI is definitely not. intuitive and is missing basic cable features like the back button and the info button
- on-demand coverage is not great
- if your internet is out your cable is out... can't emphasize this one enough

That's it for downsides for me.

So if I get the YouTube channel can I login with my phone when I’m away from home and watch Syracuse games when I’m out and about like in a restaurant,?
You can, and it's glorious.

Have I watched it at a wedding/my son's taekwondo class/for a brief minute or two at the church (not Sunday, during a weeknight meeting)/daughter's dance recital/on the crapper?

Well... yes. Yes. Yup. Yes.

youtube channels you lose, rough guess some things have changed

MSG sabres knicks rangers

Hallmark channels
Life
Me Tv
QVC
NFL
NHL
TVG
History
Vice
Nik channels
TVland
ION
CMT
BET
MYV
VH1
UP
NASA
CSPAN
Weather channel
RFD

spectrum with internet is $100 why are people paying $200 unless you add on channels you dont get with Youtube anyway? more TVs bump that cost too
That’s what I pay in Albany and have dumb TVs so ibought Rokus for streaming

I’m a Weather Channel guy. And I like to watch MSG for certain events now and then. And the History Channel. There are probably several others.
Gotcha. You have specific programming they just don't offer.

youtube tv is what i have. had some initial anxiety that lasted less than a day. the picture is just as good as cable. i use spectrum internet, doubt you even need faster than that. if you do research, youll find out that "faster" internet is a huge hoax. youtube tv has unlimited dvr. it even removes some of the ads automatically when recording, which is very cool. the ONLY thing i feel like im missing is nfl network. that's legitimately it. i get every Syracuse game, and i get local channels. i live in nyc so those are the local stations i get. cable is for the birds.

Faster internet is not a hoax. It’s real and measurable

I'll add my vote for YouTube TV. Saving me a ton of money and has pretty much all of the channels my family watches. My wife and I have completely opposite tv viewing habits... she likes reality tc shows like Kardashians, Real Housewives of whatever, etc... I like sports, science, history, etc... and we are both satisfied. I also like the YouTube tv DVR, while it's not that intuitive its nice to not have to worry about erasing old stuff. One other great benefit of Youtube TV is that you can watch on any iOS device - either phone or tablet which is nice for when you are on the go

Downsides
- no NFLtv, which isn't generally a problem until the Bills/Pats game gets flexed to a Saturday afternoon
- the UI is definitely not. intuitive and is missing basic cable features like the back button and the info button
- on-demand coverage is not great
- if your internet is out your cable is out... can't emphasize this one enough

That's it for downsides for me.

Most cable providers have apps, so you can watch on the go with conventional cable. Spectrum doesn’t have an app on FireTV for some stupid reason, but it works on phones, Roku, Chromecast, etc.

The ‘internet out, cable out’ point is a good argument for satellite tv. Otherwise, the same is true in most cases for conventional cable. There are very specific instances where one would be out and not the other, but they both come in on the same line, so both are usually out at the same time.

Not signing up to read that. It’s not a hoax.

Edit: got it to open without signing up. Compelling, not convincing

lol, ok... so where do you stand now? You still a belieber?

Last edited:
So right now I have the ACC network but my wife and I are considering cutting the cord because spectrum increased our bill by $60. If I keep my Internet and get ESPN plus for my iPad will I still be able to watch Syracuse basketball and football games? At least the ones that would regularly be shown on ESPN?
You can watch just about any major sporting event from Reddit or some overseas sites. Somehow. I don't even bother trying ESPN Watch anymore, because it's so inconsistent, whether my carrier will... carry our games.

I've been a YTTV subscriber for about 2 years now. I'll never go back to Cable. YTTV is not perfect but works well and hardly ever has issues. I also subscribe to PHILO ($20 Month) to cover the channels YTTV does not have. History, Hallmark, DIY, and some others. My total bill per month for tv and internet is $155 This is spectrum internet, YTTV, Philo, Netflix. I also have Amazon prime but don't include it since I'd have it even without the TV they offer. When I cut out cable 2 years ago my Spectrum bill was $205 a month and has had several price increases since.

I use several devices to get the streams to my TV. I have an Apple TV 4k on my main TV and a Roku, firesticks on my bedroom TVs. I don't really recommend using a smart TV since they do not update the apps as often as the Rokus. Firesticks and such.

I also use and antenna in my attic to get the sub local channels. I receive 38 Channels from my antenna. This includes all Syracuse and Utica local channels. YTTV does give you locals of ABC,CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS here in the Syracuse area.

Aha, jumped in for just this question:

Did you buy their router? Use your own (which they recommend you not do)?

I'm switching to Fios this month, Spectrum is the worst, but hoping to keep the router that I am comfortable with.

Just make sure you have a newer router that can handle at least 100mbps... I think even with renting it would be cheaper than spectrum.

I’m a Weather Channel guy. And I like to watch MSG for certain events now and then. And the History Channel. There are probably several others.

Yeah MSG is a problem, but sling has the History Channel and I was able to get the weather channel for an extra 5 bucks through Frndly.

if you stream you probably top out most of the time using 10-15 mb unless you have the ultra HDef TV. then some channels offer that and you probably would use up to 50MB.

Question for fellow YouTubeTV’ers, have you noticed while watching a live sporting event that yours is a little behind someone watching on cable?

I noticed this Saturday during the VT game while my friend and I were texting back and forth during the game and his was ahead of mine.

Streaming services (video, audio such as Sirius) will always have a lag due to the extra logistics necessary to stream the content. I use WatchESPN over my Roku and I am always 30-60 seconds behind the game. You'll even find that folks with Digital cable boxes are even often a bit behind OTA.

Just make sure you have a newer router that can handle at least 100mbps... I think even with renting it would be cheaper than spectrum.

Buy the Router and modem if you have to. It's not rocket science to set either up and will save you a good amount of money each year by not having to rent. You can also typically get superior devices compared to what most companies offer.

Most importantly, when you cancel and the provider gives you the smug "you have to return OUR devices", you can tell them that you already own them :)

So right now I have the ACC network but my wife and I are considering cutting the cord because spectrum increased our bill by $60. If I keep my Internet and get ESPN plus for my iPad will I still be able to watch Syracuse basketball and football games? At least the ones that would regularly be shown on ESPN?
You can reduce your tv portion of Spectrum to $35 by getting "basic +10" . You get all your local channels plus 10 more from a list. ESPN channels are on that list plus things like history, Disney (and othe kids channels), some shopping networks. The draw back is no YES or MSG. I get this plus $5 for a seperate ESPN+ on my Fire stick. If/when my neighborhood gets greenlight, I'll probably drop Spectrum all together. Biggest problem there is I've been waiting over 2 years for greenlight to get here. 3 miles away have it but not us which sucks.

I've been with Sling for a few years, but that'll have to change this year since they lost Yes.

I don't care about the NFL Network, and I only need ESPN and the ACC Network for basketball season. YTTV seems like it might be the cure, or Hulu Live.

Buy the Router and modem if you have to. It's not rocket science to set either up and will save you a good amount of money each year by not having to rent. You can also typically get superior devices compared to what most companies offer.

Most importantly, when you cancel and the provider gives you the smug "you have to return OUR devices", you can tell them that you already own them :)

I bought mine. After talking to Comcast I could either A) keep paying 14.00 per month in perpetuity, with no ability to have it paid off or B) spend $120 once for an Xfinity approved device. As it stood I had retained my Xfinity router/modem for 4 years, or better said $672. How insane is that. It took me about 10 minutes to set it all up, and I now don't have a monthly rental fee.

As an aside, when I cancelled I was well into the process with no real attempt to keep me as a customer, when the rep said something that probably bothered me more than it should have, and man did I ever react to it. "Sir, before I disconnect your service, can you please confirm to me that you have discussed with all members of the household that you are doing this" Bills in my name, payment comes from me, and this jack wagon was scripted to have me confirm that I talked to my wife and kids about this? nope, not happening my friend. It was a poor attempt at getting someone to second guess themselves and I found it kind of creepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom