Might cut the cord | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Where would NBC put it? It wouldnt go on NBC.. They dont have a sports channel any more.. Putting it on MSNBC isnt going to help people find it?

by now I think most anyone looking for EPL is looking to NBC or Peacock? Who else is looking for EPL games on a wed afternoon?
NBC runs all their TV channel EPL games on USA Network. A Saturday has a minimum of 2 games typically (7:30 AM & 10:00 AM slots) on USA, then they shift the late EPL game to NBC (12:30 slot). They have played some of the midweek games on USA as well, today was an exception with all games on Peacock.

P.S. Arsenal got smacked by Man City, was barely a game. As a Liverpool fan, I'm tired of seeing Man City winning all these Premier League titles... never thought I'd say it, but I prefer Arsenal over Man City for sure right now. Nice to see the Reds sneak out a 2-1 win at West Ham today.

This might come as news to Forbes, but ESPN already has a streaming service. It's subscription. They charge for it. It's in its second iteration already. Geez, try to keep up.

The WSJ also had a story on the same thing today. This will be the regular ensp not espn+ that was launched in 2018.

The WSJ also had a story on the same thing today. This will be the regular ensp not espn+ that was launched in 2018.

According to the article, the ESPN streaming service will be the full ESPN programming including live sports, not the limited events that ESPN+ provides.

I cut the cord about 2 months ago. I switched to Youtube TV and haven't looked back. Youtube TV has just about every channel I'm interested in watching, including ACCN. I do have a fiber internet service which is crazy fast and have 6 TVs in the house all connected via WiFi. I will admit that it's not perfect, but going from over $200/month to $50 makes it worth it in my opinion.
I did the same last August, never, ever would go back to Spectrum.

Youtube TV's DVR service alone is nearly worth the price of the service.
Hated Spectrum DVR - was always missing shows or they didn't adjust when a show started late or ran long.
I almost never watch anything live anymore except sports.
I can't stand watching commercials.

This might come as news to Forbes, but ESPN already has a streaming service. It's subscription. They charge for it. It's in its second iteration already. Geez, try to keep up.
I remember during the conference realignment hysteria back 10 years ago they had some kid writing realignment articles for them. He was just repeating drivel online as fact.

Youtube TV's DVR service alone is nearly worth the price of the service.
Hated Spectrum DVR - was always missing shows or they didn't adjust when a show started late or ran long.
I almost never watch anything live anymore except sports.
I can't stand watching commercials.
Sometimes I forget I can skip the commercials.

MSG charges $30/month for DTC programming? That’s crazy.
I wonder what Disney thinks they can get for the ESPN cable stations. I assume the best value would be a super-bundle with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

According to the article, the ESPN streaming service will be the full ESPN programming including live sports, not the limited events that ESPN+ provides.
I can already stream all that from the ESPN app or website.
Its included with my YouTubeTV subscription.

I'd be shocked if they cut all cable/streaming service subscriptions and exclusively do their own.
They're currently getting $$ from people that don't even watch sports. Cut it off and it will impact their revenue.

I expect them to start offering a subscription service for the complete cord-cutters (cable and streaming) while maintaining their current relationships. There may be discounts for bundling with Disney, Hulu, etc., but there are many, including yours truly :), who have little or no interest in those options.

I can already stream all that from the ESPN app or website.
Its included with my YouTubeTV subscription.

I'd be shocked if they cut all cable/streaming service subscriptions and exclusively do their own.
They're currently getting $$ from people that don't even watch sports. Cut it off and it will impact their revenue.

I expect them to start offering a subscription service for the complete cord-cutters (cable and streaming) while maintaining their current relationships. There may be discounts for bundling with Disney, Hulu, etc., but there are many, including yours truly :), who have little or no interest in those options.
It'll be interesting to see how cable companies respond. ESPN avoided creating a service like this in the past because cable needed ESPN, so ESPN had negotiating leverage. This removes some of their leverage if a cable package and ESPN streaming service gets you the same thing a cable package does today - cable might drop ESPN, cut their cost and tell people to get the ESPN streaming app. If it goes that way this could be a horrible business decision by ESPN. Most of the streaming services lose money - and as structured currently always will.

I also thought Id read that some of their contacts with cable specifically prevented them from doing this...but that was something I'd read years ago so it may not apply to current contacts (or might have always been wrong).

It'll be interesting to see how cable companies respond. ESPN avoided creating a service like this in the past because cable needed ESPN, so ESPN had negotiating leverage. This removes some of their leverage if a cable package and ESPN streaming service gets you the same thing a cable package does today - cable might drop ESPN, cut their cost and tell people to get the ESPN streaming app. If it goes that way this could be a horrible business decision by ESPN. Most of the streaming services lose money - and as structured currently always will.

I also thought Id read that some of their contacts with cable specifically prevented them from doing this...but that was something I'd read years ago so it may not apply to current contacts (or might have always been wrong).

They have to phase out contracts. This isn't gonna happen until 2025-26 apparently.

It's pretty easy to save on TV in the summer months, with the caveat that you either don't watch baseball or can get it via an app. The NBA Finals are on ABC so an OTA antenna takes care of that and there's no other TV I need to watch live.

If you time your subscription windows right you can save $200+ by forgoing YouTube TV from June through August.

If it weren't for sports, I could do without tv altogether. A good antenna in Syracuse can pick up 46 channels.

So right now I have the ACC network but my wife and I are considering cutting the cord because spectrum increased our bill by $60. If I keep my Internet and get ESPN plus for my iPad will I still be able to watch Syracuse basketball and football games? At least the ones that would regularly be shown on ESPN?
If you get the Disney bundle you get Disney channel, Hulu and ESPN at an affordable price. I also use youtube TV and they have a sport package. They are also carrying the NFL deal that allows you to see all games, used to be with Direct TV.

I signed up for a bunch of pay channels and saved over $100. I also use Roku though now a days youre tv can replace that.

Tell us more. How much are you paying and for how many TV's? I only have one smart TV, and a couple dumb ones, like their owner. What are my options?
I have 3 lg tvs and a little off brand on in my bedroom. I have roku but lately I have programmed the smart TVs to do what Roku does. all of the channels have on price no matter how many tvs you have, you just have to enable them on individual TVs (same passwords).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom