Mike Holmes waived by Bears | Syracusefan.com

Mike Holmes waived by Bears

As a bears fan i'm surprised. Their secondary is weak.

Too bad, he had been playing really well.

I hope he and Bart latch on somewhere.

The LAST thing the Giants need is a couple undrafted rookie free agents who were CUT on the 1st roster trim.

The LAST thing the Giants need is a couple undrafted rookie free agents who were CUT on the 1st roster trim.
Yeah, cause those guys NEVER work out in the NFL. Just ask Unitas and Warner.

I believe this is the first weekend of cuts... Sucks they didn't make the first weekend.

forkin bears made questionable decisions this season like letting olin kreutz go as well.

He looked good in the two games I saw, so that's surprising.

Hopefully he makes the practice squad. Heck, it's a start.

the practice squad is for the last 5 guys cut......not the 1st 5.

I thought the practice squad had special rules where players can only have played in so many games. I didn't think it had anything to do with where a player was cut.

I thought the practice squad had special rules where players can only have played in so many games. I didn't think it had anything to do with where a player was cut.
They do have that rule. But the practice squad is not limited to the last 5-8 cut. It can be anyone AFTER final cuts have taken place. So if Holmes does not get picked up by the time final cuts take place, any team can bring him in and place him on the practice squad.

bees, i need those smileys ASAP.....

oh good lord.

follow me here kids...

why the F.....would a tea, release somebody on the 1st CUT...AND THEN PUT THEM ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD 2 WEEKS LATER????!

they would have just missed 2 weeks of practice and couldve been signed by anyone in the goddamn league.

the guys who make the practice squad are the 5 guys, WHO TEAMS DIDNT WANT TO RELEASE!!! (hence, THE LAST 5 CUT)

and please people, dont start the 'well maybe they cut a guy who was better', like say...i dont know a LB who they knew couldve been kept, but the team really needed to keep an extra OL guy.

lets not confuse the masses again.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why teams do it, but I have watched teams drop players on the practice squad and place another player on it that was in limbo, no assigned team. I have also watched the Jets after final cuts, put a player on the squad that they cut during pre season. I have no clue why, but I have seen it done.

That sucks, I thought I heard he was doing pretty well? I'm sure he will get another chance, with another team.

Practice squad is just an optimistic thought. No need to let it ruin your night :crazy:.

It's not impossible that he could make the practice squad. He was released with an injury, so if you know he won't make the full team and he's injured then you might as well release him asap. But, that doesn't mean that they don't like him enough to put him on the practice squad. If he wasn't injured then as Kaiser said it would have made no sense to release him first cut and then expect him to be on the practice squad.

bees, i need those smileys ASAP.....

oh good lord.

follow me here kids...

why the F.....would a tea, release somebody on the 1st CUT...AND THEN PUT THEM ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD 2 WEEKS LATER????!

they would have just missed 2 weeks of practice and couldve been signed by anyone in the goddamn league.

the guys who make the practice squad are the 5 guys, WHO TEAMS DIDNT WANT TO RELEASE!!! (hence, THE LAST 5 CUT)

and please people, dont start the 'well maybe they cut a guy who was better', like say...i dont know a LB who they knew couldve been kept, but the team really needed to keep an extra OL guy.

lets not confuse the masses again.

:rolleyes:

It's happened before and it'll happen again. Just because you don't see the logic in it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Teams like to try sneaking guys onto the PS and releasing them early is a way teams try to outsmart everyone else. You don't think a team might tell a kid they're releasing him now, but with the condition he joins their PS if no other team wants him for their 53 man roster? That's certainly happened before.

You realize that after final cuts these guys can sign with any team in the league, as well. Why does it make a difference if it's a week earlier? If a team likes a guy enough that was cut elsewhere, they'd find room for him now or in a week anyhow.

I don't know what this last 5 cut stuff is, but there is no such thing. Teams will be cutting roughly 27 guys at the end of the week. A practice squad is made up of 8 players (or 9 if one is international), not 5, to clear up your confusion.

It sounded like he was doing well and I know Chicago has a depleted secondary. I was really airports to hear he was cut. Hopefully he latches on somewhere else.