Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

The attendance we get for Cornell tonight will be equal to what we draw against Duke if one of the assistants is hired. The cupboard is bare too its not even worth considering when we have no depth or bench.

The next coach needs to land big recruits immediately and have good regular seasons. If that doesn't happen we will move on after 2 years.
Next years roster is scary if they dont hit the lottery with the portal in the offseason

Next years roster is scary if they dont hit the lottery with the portal in the offseason

I think Buddy and Jim decide to run it back. I think the NCAA gives Jimmy another year.

So I think whats going to happen is the same 5 play nearly every minute of every game even against opponents like Cornell and no one has a clue how good Copeland, Brown, Carey, Taylor, and Bunch are. A couple of those guys will have nice 3 minute cameos in the first half and the fanbase will overreact and predict them to be early departures to the NBA one night and then next game they'll make 2 turnovers and be benched for a month and enter the portal.

I think Buddy and Jim decide to run it back. I think the NCAA gives Jimmy another year.

So I think whats going to happen is the same 5 play nearly every minute of every game even against opponents like Cornell and no one has a clue how good Copeland, Brown, Carey, Taylor, and Bunch are. A couple of those guys will have nice 3 minute cameos in the first half and the fanbase will overreact and predict them to be early departures to the NBA one night and then next game they'll make 2 turnovers and be benched for a month and enter the portal.

Hyperbole

My feelings are JB had his opportunity to pick his successor and have an exit plan.

And then he didnt stick to that plan. Yeah, maybe the NCAA penalties threw a bit of a fork into it but he wasnt going to hold up his end of it, and his successor saw that and bolted for UW.

With the program in decline, this needs to be JW's hire not JBs.
JW needs to be allowed to make the hire. After all, it is he who will be judged on the hire and not JB. JB won't get fired if the next coach is a disaster.

JW needs to be allowed to make the hire. After all, it is he who will be judged on the hire and not JB. JB won't get fired if the next coach is a disaster.
I am declaring that Rutgers is to the Football Board as Mike Hopkins is to the Basketball Board.

That's all.

Yup. This talk of a Southern conference is nonsense. That means nothing. No kid is saying 'Sure the ACC is historically the best league in the country, and SU has been one of the best programs in the country for 40+ years, has the biggest stadium in the country, but ooh the conference is Southern'.

What does even mean? We just need a good young coach. Everything is lined up to be very strong - all comes down to who is on the sidelines
It means that Duke, N Carolina Virginia are the face of this conference and we are tbe rear of this conference.

Exaggeration. Fifth best winning percentage since we joined. Not our standard, but not the rear. Why is this hard for you guys?
There have been articles written on why Cuse has struggled since joining the ACC eight years ago. In that time, UVA or UNC has won the regular season 7 out of 8 times. If you go back 25 years, Duke, UNC or Virginia has won the regular season 21 times. History will tell that teams likes NC State, Miami, Wake, etc will occasionally have a great season but will never be considered the upper echelon. Right now, Cuse is in that same bucket as those teams. Our biggest opportunity is with and against the next generation of coaches. Will we have someone who can compete for guys that can bring us a regular season championship? We are not Prime Rib, but what part of the cow are we.

Attachments

• a1.gif
    a1.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 64
There have been articles written on why Cuse has struggled since joining the ACC eight years ago. In that time, UVA or UNC has won the regular season 7 out of 8 times. If you go back 25 years, Duke, UNC or Virginia has won the regular season 21 times. History will tell that teams likes NC State, Miami, Wake, etc will occasionally have a great season but will never be considered the upper echelon. Right now, Cuse is in that same bucket as those teams. Our biggest opportunity is with and against the next generation of coaches. Will we have someone who can compete for guys that can bring us a regular season championship? We are not Prime Rib, but what part of the cow are we.
All those schools after Duke, UNC and UVA have been worse than us the past 8 years overall. I wouldn’t trade places with any of them. We’ve had more tourney success than anyone, but those 3 schools and more wins overall on the regular season as well.

Loins?

I keep pressuring that guy at Manny's on Marshall St. to stock "We're #5" giant foam hands, but he's being really obstinate.
You really couldn’t help it could you

I keep pressuring that guy at Manny's on Marshall St. to stock "We're #5" giant foam hands, but he's being really obstinate.
He probably wants to be married first.

After a couple really good seasons at UW, it’s been all downhill for Hop at UW.

The team bottomed out last season with two first round picks. Also lost his starting PG to academic ineligibility.

He completely missed on some big time local recruits. Guys Romar likely would have brought in. Beachamp, Hickman, Banchero, and Nowell all chose to play elsewhere.

The latest blunder is his top returning scorer, Naz Carter, is ineligible for violating NCAA rules.

UW is picked to finish near last next season. The seat is getting hot. I think if UW struggles again, with no incoming recruits, UW could move on.

FWIW, I was really excited about Hop, and was a big Hop believer. I really hope it works out for him at UW, but with how it’s trending I don’t think he will be here much longer.

(1). You call yourself a big Hop believer, but I don't recall you ever posting anything other than about him losing his job.

(2) You're right, they were terrible last year, and Hop has a bunch of bad losses this year. I take no pleasure in him having a rough time, but you seem to.

Sometimes it is all about fit... Prime example would be Brady Hoke, became a star at SDSU couldn't make it at Michigan, bounced around a bit and now back killing it at SDSU.

I'm not saying he'd kill it here, none of us know how we would do, they best thing we got is a guess. I am merely pointing out a parrallel situation and I personally think Hop would do a good job here.

(1). You call yourself a big Hop believer, but I don't recall you ever posting anything other than about him losing his job.

(2) You're right, they were terrible last year, and Hop has a bunch of bad losses this year. I take no pleasure in him having a rough time, but you seem to.
2cecbdec60c148f302a7ec4780aaf03f.gif

;)

You realize you replied to a poster who hasn’t posted in a year and that post is over a year ago?

You realize you replied to a poster who hasn’t posted in a year and that post is over a year ago?

It showed up new in my new action updates at the little bell.
Maybe things are displaying a bit off.

Exaggeration. Fifth best winning percentage since we joined. Not our standard, but not the rear. Why is this hard for you guys?
We’ve finished in the top 5 once, Cj Fair was still on the roster.

We’ve finished in the top 5 once, Cj Fair was still on the roster.
That’s not what I wrote.

I said we were 5th overall in wins in the conference since 2013 and 4th in tournament wins. Bc, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Wake, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State and Clemson are not better overall during that time…..The post I responded to said we were basement dwellers.

And before someone says I am happy where we are, I‘m not. I made that point earlier.. The basement dweller post however is an exaggeration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom