Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Come home when GMac takes Albany/Siena/MAAC job this spring
I guess Gerry would be swinging for the fences with those jobs. Gerry can do what he wants, but the thought he needs grooming to prove he can coach is overdone. I'm sure it would be a pay cut as well.

As HC? Are you sure about that... if Hope bombs out this year and we bring him back to run the program, I think more than a few fans would lose their collective shite..
So far our present head coach impresses me and others I’m sure. If he needs to find a new home, here would not be a good decision by either party..

Washington was 6-24 from three. Hop has never valued shooters. This game is about making shots, especially threes. His teams have been bad shooting teams. SU is in the same boat this year. You can’t win if you can’t shoot. If a recruit can’t shoot, I wouldn’t waste my time recruiting him. The game today is spacing the floor and knocking down shots. Even your bigs need to be able to shoot. At times, SU doesn’t have a single player on the floor who can shoot outside a layup. It’s hard to believe we’ve won as many as we have. Why teams guarding us ever leave the painted area is beyond me. Keep a man close to Bell and let everyone else play outside the lane.

Washington was 6-24 from three. Hop has never valued shooters. This game is about making shots, especially threes. His teams have been bad shooting teams. SU is in the same boat this year. You can’t win if you can’t shoot. If a recruit can’t shoot, I wouldn’t waste my time recruiting him. The game today is spacing the floor and knocking down shots. Even your bigs need to be able to shoot. At times, SU doesn’t have a single player on the floor who can shoot outside a layup. It’s hard to believe we’ve won as many as we have. Why teams guarding us ever leave the painted area is beyond me. Keep a man close to Bell and let everyone else play outside the lane.
Watching teams like Houston or Baylor as compared to how we shoot. It's like two diff sports.

Watching teams like Houston or Baylor as compared to how we shoot. It's like two diff sports.
Baylor was a fun watch the other night. They move well and have guys who can shoot all over the place. The minimum 3% for any of their guys who has more than 20 3PAs is 37.1%. Bell, our supposed sharp shooter is barely better than that at 38.1%. They have four guys better than that and one is pushing 45%.

Also fun was when they switched from M2M to 2-3 zone to flummox Cincy on a few plays down the stretch. I heard that no one does that.

Baylor was a fun watch the other night. They move well and have guys who can shoot all over the place. The minimum 3% for any of their guys who has more than 20 3PAs is 37.1%. Bell, our supposed sharp shooter is barely better than that at 38.1%. They have four guys better than that and one is pushing 45%.

Also fun was when they switched from M2M to 2-3 zone to flummox Cincy on a few plays down the stretch. I heard that no one does that.

The rims are bigger in Texas.

I don’t really disagree, but, if big John Thompson was around to coach his type of non-shooters, I wonder how they would fare?

Lost today to Stanford, 3-5 in Pac-12, 11-8 overall, not looking good
Let’s face it, he’ll get canned at the end of this year as UW looks to start fresh when they join the Big Ten. I also think Hop sticking to the 2-3 zone is contributing to his downfall. We saw it with JB. 2-3 is a bad base defense for today’s college game.

Wishful thinking, but doubt he would do that for an assistant job.
I actually think this would be a very Wildhack move to stabilize the program. If we made him a top paid assistant in the country I could see it (especially if it coincides with Gerry leaving for a HC job or Griffin (please get rid of him this offseason) or Straughn exiting stage left)

I actually think this would be a very Wildhack move to stabilize the program. If we made him a top paid assistant in the country I could see it (especially if it coincides with Gerry leaving for a HC job or Griffin (please get rid of him this offseason) or Straughn exiting stage left)
Not going to happen.

Hard pass. That ship has sailed into the Pacific Ocean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom