Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

99.99999% chance he doesn't come back as an assistant. And that would be awful for Red. If the program trends up, lots of people would credit Hop. And if they trend down, a portion of the fanbase would want Hop to take over, despite that he did poorly at UW probably based on eastern connections or something. It just doesn't work.

Looks like Hop is almost certainly getting canned at UW. Would you guys want him back as an assistant on Red's staff? I know we've talked about bringing him back as head coach, but I don't remember if we've talked about assistant.
no

99.99999% chance he doesn't come back as an assistant. And that would be awful for Red. If the program trends up, lots of people would credit Hop. And if they trend down, a portion of the fanbase would want Hop to take over, despite that he did poorly at UW probably based on eastern connections or something. It just doesn't work.
That makes sense.

Would he be willing to come back and be an assistant to Red?Still fairly young and probably wants to work at something.Maybe head coaching isn’t his strong suit but recruiting seemed to be just fine.
Just like most people do not ever go back to a previous employer after they leave for another job, Hop won't be coming back to Syracuse.

This won't happen, but Hop would absolutely crush the newly-formed GM roles that are becoming increasingly more common.

Wouldn't have to get in the weeds on coaching & impact perception of Autry's abilities, but could utilize his greatest strength in relationships and recruiting. Autry, Hop & Straughn would be feared in recruiting circles. Hop aside, that role would help Red out greatly.

Just like most people do not ever go back to a previous employer after they leave for another job, Hop won't be coming back to Syracuse.
Keyword is 'most'. In some cases people find out the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. I work for a defense contractor in Syracuse (whose name has been prominently featured courtside) and many people come back after portaling.

Keyword is 'most'. In some cases people find out the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. I work for a defense contractor in Syracuse (whose name has been prominently featured courtside) and many people come back after portaling.
If Hop gets released by UW, he will get another job He is more finished now as a head coach and is looking real serious.

UW would be dumb to let him go. Had his best player out most of this season, along with a hurt 5 star freshman. And has a borderline 5 star coming in.
4 of his 5 top scorers leave - all grad students. I really like the other starter, sophomore Johnson, but if you are referring to Kepnang as his best player who was out injured - he only played 8 games last season and 10 this, his senior season. Difficult to depend on a player who has only played a half season in his last 2 seasons with his injury history. Hope Hop is kept too but he has a major rebuild next year again probably necessitating multiple excellent portal players.

Wash wants a new coach heading into Big 10 play next year. Pretty funny that an NCAA tourney appearance was going to save his job and now Thamel basically saying he’s getting canned regardless of how they finish.

If he wants to continue being a head coach for a power program. There is one job open in a power conference that Coach Hop is very familiar with and with low expectations. What school am I thinking of and what are your thoughts?

If he wants to continue being a head coach for a power program. There will be one job in a power conference that Coach Hop is very familiar with and with low expectations. What school am I thinking of and what are your thoughts?
Louisville came to my mind. That would be not great.

Imagine winning two coach of the year awards in your first two years and getting canned just a few more after. Ooooffff
Also I believe one of those coach of the year seasons he won the most games in a single season in program history. It's not a great job to be honest.

Was thinking many folks did the Lockheed, Sensis, SRC circuit,; rinse and repeat.

UW has a solid complete roster, why they didn't fire earlier this season is a question. BUTT, I could them going out with a blaze of glory. I'm going to drop a couple sheckles on them to win it all, gotta be 10000 to 1.

Also I believe one of those coach of the year seasons he won the most games in a single season in program history. It's not a great job to be honest.
Which is mind blowing after reading Hoops Heist. There aren't many areas in the country that are about hoops as much as yours.

Side note but I am going to become a diehard fan as soon as Seattle gets another NBA team. As they deserve to have.

Hop's Huskies got a huge win on the road last night at #17 WSU. They're ready for a run in the Pac 12 tourney.
Apparently UW didn't think so, lol. Honestly feel bad. Will always think what could have been had he got to coach in 2018, I think Buddy being able to come changed everything and messed up the succession plan. Isiah Stewart and other east coast talent would have came might have had some longer success than he did at UW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom