Mike Hopkins hired a new | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins hired a new

chakka3421

All Conference
agent and agency last year to get him a new job. It was clear that JB & JW refused to put in writing that JB would leave next season and MH would be guaranteed to take over. The beginning of the end was the beginning of the season this year as this was definitely MH's last year assuming his new agent would find him a new job at a P5 level school or equivalent. This was also the beginning of the fallout between MH & JB and MH also stopped recruiting this year as well.

The UW job was decided awhile ago. It takes more than 6 days for a University to fire one coach and hire a new one. It also takes more than 1 or 2 days for a new coach to have his complete coaching staff in place. Nuff said here too.

Finally, things like this typically do not end well and I am hopefully proven wrong here. Why do I think the odds are against us? We are already at a disadvantage because our HC doesn't like to leave CNY not only for away games but also for recruiting purposes. High school & AAU HCs like to mix and mingle with the HCs of P5 schools or equivalents. This was left up to MH for quite some time. Even Calapari still recruits and actively works the system. We just lost our best long time recruiter who had all of these established relationships and now we have a huge void here not only with a non-recruiting HC but also the assistant HC who had much better connections than anyone else on staff remaining.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Finally, things like this typically do not end well and I am hopefully proven wrong here. Why do I think the odds are against us? We are already at a disadvantage because our HC doesn't like to leave CNY not only for away games but also for recruiting purposes. High school & AAU HCs like to mix and mingle with the HCs of P5 schools or equivalents. This was left up to MH for quite some time. Even Calapari still recruits and actively works the system. We just lost our best long time recruiter who had all of these established relationships and now we have a huge void here not only with a non-recruiting HC but also the assistant HC with much better connections than anyone else on staff remaining.

You hit the nail on the head here Chakka. JB wants to keep coaching and says he's energized but for years he has had MH do the heavy lifting in recruiting. Now Hop is gone, and JB is even older, and less wanting of the actual grind. I hope he doesn't think he can just phone it in and get the players he needs to beat Duke and UNC. Now more than ever he needs to bust his butt, and I doubt he will want to do that. K is out there with no working legs, Huggins is recruiting the night he wins to go to the sweet 16. If JB won't actually get out there, he's done. Competition is far too steep.

MH not recruiting this year, if that's true, and it sure seems so, truly showed that he was doing a bulk of the work, because as Francis said, we weren't visible at all in our prime regions. Including NJ where we have 3 top recruits we want.

I just think we are in for mediocrity at best until JB retires and we start fresh. I don't feel like he or the staff has a firm handle on how to re-organize after this huge change.

Last edited:
Looks like Cuse will come out in good shape from this.

Did JB and Hop have a falling out? Hop leaving doesn't necessarily point to any kind of animosity. My employer knows I intend to leave for greener pastures in the somewhat near future and there's no bad blood at all between us. Just curious if there's more to the story, evidence, that Hop and JB aren't buddies anymore.

Francis
th

agent and agency last year to get him a new job. It was clear that JB & JW refused to put in writing that JB would leave next season and MH would be guaranteed to take over. The beginning of the end was the beginning of the season this year as this was definitely MH's last year assuming his new agent would find him a new job at a P5 level school or equivalent. This was also the beginning of the fallout between MH & JB and MH also stopped recruiting this year as well.

The UW job was decided awhile ago. It takes more than 6 days for a University to fire one coach and hire a new one. It also takes more than 1 or 2 days for a new coach to have his complete coaching staff in place. Nuff said here too.

Finally, things like this typically do not end well and I am hopefully proven wrong here. Why do I think the odds are against us? We are already at a disadvantage because our HC doesn't like to leave CNY not only for away games but also for recruiting purposes. High school & AAU HCs like to mix and mingle with the HCs of P5 schools or equivalents. This was left up to MH for quite some time. Even Calapari still recruits and actively works the system. We just lost our best long time recruiter who had all of these established relationships and now we have a huge void here not only with a non-recruiting HC but also the assistant HC with much better connections than anyone else on staff remaining.

This is all I can say on the matter for now.
CAA agency is the top sports agency in the nation. Hop was smart to hire them.
You and Anomander have the best sources on the board for inside the AD.

If we listen to JB we have 2 recruiters already. I don't agree with him. I think Autry is legit. Francis has been spot on recruiting he basically said GMac would be lead on Waters his sources knew something was up with Hop.

I got no problem with how JW or SU behaved. MH was a gamble. I wish him well and hope it kills it out West.

Thanks for the info. Carmelo Anthony also didn't believe the retirement date was set in stone.

I was thinking about the Boeheim retirement issue after the Ole Miss game Saturday and came to the following realization regarding Hopkins's recent absence from the recruiting trail. The more good recruits he brought in, the more Syracuse would win, and most likely, the more Boeheim would want to continue coaching.

To be clear, this is just my theory and I have no inside information. I could just see why Hopkins might think that.

It was weird that he took the UW job the next day.

When did Hopkins interview with Washington though? Did he take the job without stepping foot on campus? Bad form by Wash to not reach out to Wildhack.

Chakka, are you insinuating the entire dog and pony show is just that and everyone, including JW/JB, knew he was gone weeks ago to Washington? What was going to happen if we made the tournament and made a run? They were waiting for MH?

Finally, things like this typically do not end well and I am hopefully proven wrong here. Why do I think the odds are against us? We are already at a disadvantage because our HC doesn't like to leave CNY not only for away games but also for recruiting purposes. High school & AAU HCs like to mix and mingle with the HCs of P5 schools or equivalents. This was left up to MH for quite some time. Even Calapari still recruits and actively works the system. We just lost our best long time recruiter who had all of these established relationships and now we have a huge void here not only with a non-recruiting HC but also the assistant HC who had much better connections than anyone else on staff remaining.

Nuff said.
Well said

Nuff said.
None of that is true. I don't even know where to start. first, Hopkins interview with Washington was in Syracuse last FRIDAY. hop did have the guarantee that he would be the Head coach after next season. that was in writing. There were large penalties to the University if Hop wasn't the coach after next season. Let's remember, Hop was going to take the USC job just two years ago. He wanted that job badly. Hop considers the Washington job better. He got more years and more $$. Throw in that Hop didn't want to push JB out knowing that Jb wanted to stay. Throw in that the current A.D. inherited the Hop deal and Hop knew it. how much job security did Hop have with Wildhack? He got a whiff of that with the 4-5 record last year. Hop was very surprised at the reaction he got from Syracuse fans over that. He realized he didn't have as much good will as he thought he did. That is what it came down to. Hop wasn't forced out. In the end, he just got a better deal. The last guy had to miss the NCAA tournament 6 straight years to get fired. He went 4-5 here and people wanted someone different. What would you have done if you were Hop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely made-up crap that people on here acclaim as someone finally telling the truth.

It's a strange world.
well, the A.D. dept has their point of view. My post was from Hop's point of view.

When did Hopkins interview with Washington though? Did he take the job without stepping foot on campus? Bad form by Wash to not reach out to Wildhack.

Chakka, are you insinuating the entire dog and pony show is just that and everyone, including JW/JB, knew he was gone weeks ago to Washington? What was going to happen if we made the tournament and made a run? They were waiting for MH?

He interviewed Friday. Washington flew to Syracuse.

Source fight!

(settle down Millhouse, I didn't say Sword).
That got a laugh. I have no problem with his source. As I said above, his source might be from say the Athletic dept and their take. My source couldn't be from a batter source with regards to what Hop was thinking.

well, the A.D. dept has their point of view. My post was from Hop's point of view.

I just listened three times to the Boeheim - Wildhack Presser in which both these guys said over and over and over again that there was an agreement in writing and that it called for JB to stop coaching at the end of next season.

They didn't equivocate. They didn't play word games. They flat out stated that there was an agreement between the Chancellor, Hop and JB IN WRITING and that agreement called for JB to step down at the end of the 17-18 season.

This thread starts of with the assertion that there was no such agreement and that there was not a time limit.

Either JB or Wildhack or both were lying through their teeth publicly or this thread is based on BS.

None of that is true. I don't even know where to start. first, Hopkins interview with Washington was in Syracuse last FRIDAY. hop did have the guarantee that he would be the Head coach after next season. that was in writing. There were large penalties to the University if Hop wasn't the coach after next season. Let's remember, Hop was going to take the USC job just two years ago. He wanted that job badly. Hop considers the Washington job better. He got more years and more $$. Throw in that Hop didn't want to push JB out knowing that Jb wanted to stay. Throw in that the current A.D. inherited the Hop deal and Hop knew it. how much job security did Hop have with Wildhack? He got a whiff of that with the 4-5 record last year. Hop was very surprised at the reaction he got from Syracuse fans over that. He realized he didn't have as much good will as he thought he did. That is what it came down to. Hop wasn't forced out. In the end, he just got a better deal. The last guy had to miss the NCAA tournament 6 straight years to get fired. He went 4-5 here and people wanted someone different. What would you have done if you were Hop?

Did the University match the UW deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom