Mike Hopkins hired a new | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins hired a new

I wonder who will take over the burdick ford commercials? "just 15 minutes from everywhere"

Nuff said? Hardly.

You wrote, "It was clear that JB & JW refused to put in writing that JB would leave next season and MH would be guaranteed to take over."

This statement is in direct conflict with what JB and Wildhack said in the Presser multiple times.

Either you and your source or JB and Wildhack are being untruthful.

Which is it?

Townie, you have a great legal mind and I'm not a lawyer. As I sent you a PM, did JW & JB ever state in the PC that MH had an iron clad contract to take over with terms detailed out? If not, why didn't the journalists ask that question?

The other stuff I pm'd you on will leave off of the board. Now can I say nuff said?

None of that is true. I don't even know where to start. first, Hopkins interview with Washington was in Syracuse last FRIDAY. hop did have the guarantee that he would be the Head coach after next season. that was in writing. There were large penalties to the University if Hop wasn't the coach after next season. Let's remember, Hop was going to take the USC job just two years ago. He wanted that job badly. Hop considers the Washington job better. He got more years and more $$. Throw in that Hop didn't want to push JB out knowing that Jb wanted to stay. Throw in that the current A.D. inherited the Hop deal and Hop knew it. how much job security did Hop have with Wildhack? He got a whiff of that with the 4-5 record last year. Hop was very surprised at the reaction he got from Syracuse fans over that. He realized he didn't have as much good will as he thought he did. That is what it came down to. Hop wasn't forced out. In the end, he just got a better deal. The last guy had to miss the NCAA tournament 6 straight years to get fired. He went 4-5 here and people wanted someone different. What would you have done if you were Hop?
I heard Hop would get 5 mil if he was not made coach after next season.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree on the time it takes to hire a new coach. I was listening to Illinois's new head coach this morning and he said it was a matter of two days. Ok state lost, then hours later his agent said three teams were interested in him. Illinois intrigued him, so the meet the following day and worked out an agreement. Do, it can fine quickly.

Not sure I agree on the time it takes to hire a new coach. I was listening to Illinois's new head coach this morning and he said it was a matter of two days. Ok state lost, then hours later his agent said three teams were interested in him. Illinois intrigued him, so the meet the following day and worked out an agreement. Do, it can fine quickly.

Let me say that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes with the agencies and agents before things become public.

Townie, you have a great legal mind and I'm not a lawyer. As I sent you a PM, did JW & JB ever state in the PC that MH had an iron clad contract to take over with terms detailed out? If not, why didn't the journalists ask that question?

The other stuff I pm'd you on will leave off of the board. Now can I say nuff said?

Boeheim said it was "set in stone" and confirmed my the Chancellor and confirmed by John. Hopkins talked about the agreement in place today at his press conference. Nobody was ever going to discuss the terms of the contract. No reason to. That's why the journalists didnt ask. There was absolutely a contract in place.

None of that is true. I don't even know where to start. first, Hopkins interview with Washington was in Syracuse last FRIDAY. hop did have the guarantee that he would be the Head coach after next season. that was in writing. There were large penalties to the University if Hop wasn't the coach after next season. Let's remember, Hop was going to take the USC job just two years ago. He wanted that job badly. Hop considers the Washington job better. He got more years and more $$. Throw in that Hop didn't want to push JB out knowing that Jb wanted to stay. Throw in that the current A.D. inherited the Hop deal and Hop knew it. how much job security did Hop have with Wildhack? He got a whiff of that with the 4-5 record last year. Hop was very surprised at the reaction he got from Syracuse fans over that. He realized he didn't have as much good will as he thought he did. That is what it came down to. Hop wasn't forced out. In the end, he just got a better deal. The last guy had to miss the NCAA tournament 6 straight years to get fired. He went 4-5 here and people wanted someone different. What would you have done if you were Hop?

Exactly. The over reaction to Hops 4-5 stint was other worldly. Kinda sad how the majority of this over entitled fan base eats their own. The fans pushed Hop out more then anyone.

Hop could have been contacted midseason for all we know. Terrible teams decide pretty early that they will fire their coaches. I heard he had other opportunities too if he didn't take this job and those schools didn't fire their coach.

I agree with your first 3 sentences. The last one is just a hot take that is nowhere close to true.

Of course it's not true. People seem to think the university or Boeheim pushed him out and I'm just saying the fans played more of a roll then those two. The fan base should have been way more supportive. It's Hop. He's part of the family. He IS Syracuse basketball. Sad how people treated him during dire times.

Of course it's not true. People seem to think the university or Boeheim pushed him out and I'm just saying the fans played more of a roll then those two. The fan base should have been way more supportive. It's Hop. He's part of the family. He IS Syracuse basketball. Sad how people treated him during dire times.
I am of the mind that fans had no role in this whatsoever. Agree to disagree.

I agree with your first 3 sentences. The last one is just a hot take that is nowhere close to true.

Not so fast, Orange79.

While the fan base had nothing to do with pushing Hop out, it might have played into Hop's considerations.

I know nothing about the UW fan base. But they have not been spoiled by success and their expectations might be a lot easier to meet.

Now the SU fan base has high expectations and meeting them is more of a challenge. Especially in the ACC which appears to be a better Conference than the Old Big East top to bottom.

Do the UW fans explode into Rumplestiltskin-like fits of near rage after losses?

Not a major one but I disagree to this extent. Hop was very surprised at the reaction of his 4-5 stint last year. He had thought that his track record would have given him more good will than being forced to take over someone else's team at the last minute. He found he was mistaken.

I'm mostly agreeing with you. Just don't agree with how he was treated after his 9 game stint. Gotta support you're interim coach who was put in a tough situation. Not use it as a platform to suggest what his coaching career will turn out to be.

Not a major one but I disagree to this extent. Hop was very surprised at the reaction of his 4-5 stint last year. He had thought that his track record would have given him more good will than being forced to take over someone else's team at the last minute. He found he was mistaken.

Exactly. Not saying fans are THE reason for him leaving. They just didn't help the cause.

Dasher (and Townie) - I'll retract my statement about MH not having a contract in place. I've had others I trust (like Bees and others) tell me that Hop did have a contract (or agreement) in place with a penalty if SU didn't live up to the terms (even though my original source still disagrees).

Regardless, we still have an issue regarding recruiting. I do hope the best for the program and that JB hires a dynamite recruiter to replace Hop. I sure pay enough for my seats for me to watch the team win, not lose.

Not so fast, Orange79.

While the fan base had nothing to do with pushing Hop out, it might have played into Hop's considerations.

I know nothing about the UW fan base. But they have not been spoiled by success and their expectations might be a lot easier to meet.

Now the SU fan base has high expectations and meeting them is more of a challenge. Especially in the ACC which appears to be a better Conference than the Old Big East top to bottom.

Do the UW fans explode into Rumplestiltskin-like fits of near rage after losses?

I'm mostly agreeing with you. Just don't agree with how he was treated after his 9 game stint. Gotta support you're interim coach who was put in a tough situation. Not use it as a platform to suggest what his coaching career will turn out to be.
Fair points all.

Dasher (and Townie) - I'll retract my statement about MH not having a contract in place. I've had others I trust (like Bees and others) tell me that Hop did have a contract (or agreement) in place with a penalty if SU didn't live up to the terms (even though my original source still disagrees).

Regardless, we still have an issue regarding recruiting. I do hope the best for the program and that JB hires a dynamite recruiter to replace Hop. I sure pay enough for my seats for me to watch the team win, not lose.
I'm hurt Chakka. You don't trust me? I have others I trust (Bees and others) What about me? Townie, can I sue?

SU fans are certainly not unique. I'd say the fan bases of all major college sports programs probably behave similarly.

We're swapping places with UConn starting in 2018-19.

Much easier schedule in the AAC. We'll be fine.

;)

getting relegated to college sports' version of the English football league championship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom