Mike Hopkins is a genius | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is a genius

There were plenty. Some just wanted him to go get some HC experience first but there were others that were vicious because of the 9 games he did coach here or because they wanted a big name proven coach.
Agreed. There were many sceptics. In the end it was because Jim wasn't ready. As anyone who knows JB will attest he was beyond pissed when the chancellor decided his retirement. Im actually very happy for Hop. The coach in waiting gig usually ends poorly. Jim gets to retire on his terms which he deserves. He gets to coach his son which has to be beyond special. Hop is home back to his roots with his family. He has a clean slate. I wish we had Hop as our coach but putting SU aside and only focusing on Jim and Hop you really have to be glad for both of them. Two great guys, great friends who are both blessed and where they should be.

Agreed. There were many sceptics. In the end it was because Jim wasn't ready. As anyone who knows JB will attest he was beyond pissed when the chancellor decided his retirement. Im actually very happy for Hop. The coach in waiting gig usually ends poorly. Jim gets to retire on his terms which he deserves. He gets to coach his son which has to be beyond special. Hop is home back to his roots with his family. He has a clean slate. I wish we had Hop as our coach but putting SU aside and only focusing on Jim and Hop you really have to be glad for both of them. Two great guys, great friends who are both blessed and where they should be.
Beautifully put!

I like Hop’s gesture.

Just not sure I approve of his alliance with a far-right organization like Starbucks.

There were plenty. Some just wanted him to go get some HC experience first but there were others that were vicious because of the 9 games he did coach here or because they wanted a big name proven coach.
imagine if hop had taken over the program, and had a first year with the exact results he just posted at uw: 13 losses, bounced from the nit in the 2nd round. a lot of posters - including some of those praising him now - would be calling for his head

imagine if hop had taken over the program, and had a first year with the exact results he just posted at uw: 13 losses, bounced from the nit in the 2nd round. a lot of posters - including some of those praising him now - would be calling for his head

He took over a team who won single digit games with the number 1 pick in the draft.

I think he had an amazing year and the Pac also thought so when the gave him coach of the year.

"I wouldn't have given one dime!" -Jim Calhoun, when asked if he thought this was a nice idea.

"I wouldn't have given one dime!" -Jim Calhoun, when asked if he thought this was a nice idea.

I TOOK OMEKA OKAFOR AND CARON BUTLAH. THEY'RE NAWT BAD

If Syracuse had won 8 games in JB's last year I think people would have been ok with it

exactly. JB forced a showdown and the chancellor blinked. the "coach in waiting " was total BS.
where else do you see that seriously? good to see hopkins doing well on the west coast. finally got his chance.

How exactly did JB force a showdown? Other than not helping Hopkins in recruiting how did JB force a showdown? The fact is he didn't force a showdown. If Hopkins would have stayed, he would be the coach today.

that's your viewpoint. the other is JB wouldn't step aside gracefully.

someone show me the quote where JB said he looked forward to his termination and mike hopkins promotion. i must have missed it. fact is he never embraced it. never fully acknowledged his retirement.

that's your viewpoint. the other is JB wouldn't step aside gracefully.
The reality is that Boeheim did acknowledge it was coming but Hop knew Boeheim didn't want to retire and he didn't want to be the guy to do that to his mentor. That doesn't mean Boeheim was refusing to leave. Hop also saw how he was treated after the 9 game stint and knew that he would be given a short lease so he decided another situation made a lot of sense. Both Boeheim and Hopkins are doing well and both will have teams in the top 25 at some point next season in my opinion and be tournament teams.

How exactly did JB force a showdown? Other than not helping Hopkins in recruiting how did JB force a showdown? The fact is he didn't force a showdown. If Hopkins would have stayed, he would be the coach today.
What I love is the post that tbone is responding two basically says it worked out for everyone and he replies exactly Boeheim forced a showdown. Classic.

He should give away marijuana gift cards. Then he'd be seen as crazy cool.
While legal in Washington (and a few other states) doesn't getting tested positive by the NCAA will get u suspended?

While legal in Washington (and a few other states) doesn't getting tested positive by the NCAA will get u suspended?
I don't think the NCAA tests. That's up to the school. If the school doesn't follow whatever policy it establishes, that's a violation.

People in the know, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't this technicality get us recently.

I don't think the NCAA tests. That's up to the school. If the school doesn't follow whatever policy it establishes, that's a violation.

People in the know, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't this technicality get us recently.

The NCAA conducts random testing during NCAA sanctioned events such as the ncaat.

Hopkin’s is KILLING it at UW. ...this tournament run proves JB was and is the genius in this program, and he still has juice left.
You mean he has orange juice of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom