Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

What are you passing on? A proven recruiter AND developer? Someone who knows how to build a program and can help Red get the culture of the team right?
I’m passing on the program going backwards and staying within its comfort zone of continually hiring alumni guards to coach the program. Hop’s a nice guy, but completely wrong fit for what this program needs going forward.

I’m passing on the program going backwards and staying within its comfort zone of continually hiring alumni guards to coach the program. Hop’s a nice guy, but completely wrong fit for what this program needs going forward.
Why was Autry the right guy then? I’m just saying Wildhack has proven to stay in the family as much as possible when you look at hires for lacrosse for example

I don't think you and your pal 0307 have ever actually watched a UW game.

This is you:

Once he comes back East he will be able to re establish those connections. Remember we would’ve had Isaiah Stewart. Missing on Bryant, Stewart, Filipowski, Clingan and others has absolutely crushed this program. We need to get back to the days of big solid centers badly
I’m still waiting for you to explain how/why Hop knows how to build a program.

I’m still waiting for you to explain how/why Hop knows how to build a program.
UW was a bad move for Hop. It's a football school and is too far from SoCal and the Pac heartland. If he had got the USC job, he would have blown up.

Why was Autry the right guy then? I’m just saying Wildhack has proven to stay in the family as much as possible when you look at hires for lacrosse for example
I think it was a matter of the most senior guy on JB staff would get the job and he happened to be the AHC when JB left. I think had Hopkins had more success during the Boeheim suspension in the 2015-16 season. The pressure on Boeheim to move forward with the original succession plan would’ve been much more significant. I don’t think it was a no for Hopkins after that stretch and he might’ve gotten the job if he had stayed. it’s just that after that stretch as interim HC, the pressure just wasn’t significant enough to go through with the plan at that time. There was a perception prior to him being the interim HC that he was the next great Head College Basketball coach in the game.

Last edited:
I wanted a national search. JW hired Red. I’m supportive of Red as head coach because he’s head coach and I want the program to succeed. But doubling (actually quadrupling down) on hiring former Syracuse guards to run the program is not the right approach. The alumni nepotism needs to stop.

I wanted a national search. JW hired Red. I’m supportive of Red as head coach because he’s head coach and I want the program to succeed. But doubling (actually quadrupling down) on hiring former Syracuse guards to run the program is not the right approach. The alumni nepotism needs to stop.
Once again, Lax, woman's hoop, Men's hoop, which ones don't you like? Right now, I like all 3. I am thrilled with the woman's hoop coach. Lax looks promising and while I wanted a national search in hoop, I don't know if anyone could have done much better with this group on the men's side. The recruiting class is just about the best we have had in years.

Once again, Lax, woman's hoop, Men's hoop, which ones don't you like? Right now, I like all 3. I am thrilled with the woman's hoop coach. Lax looks promising and while I wanted a national search in hoop, I don't know if anyone could have done much better with this group on the men's side. The recruiting class is just about the best we have had in years.

The "national search" thing gets driven into the ground.

SU sports hasn't really had success going outside the footprint, be it non alumni or guys coming in from far away. I put Coach Fran in the footprint bucket for now.

The HC of hoops has to right away recruit NYC and DC and points in-between and need zero ramp-up. Suddenly that list gets a lot smaller. Red clearly is well suited to do that.

The "national search" thing gets driven into the ground.

SU sports hasn't really had success going outside the footprint, be it non alumni or guys coming in from far away. I put Coach Fran in the footprint bucket for now.

The HC of hoops has to right away recruit NYC and DC and points in-between and need zero ramp-up. Suddenly that list gets a lot smaller. Red clearly is well suited to do that.
Even with Fran, one of the first things he stated in redefining the culture was to embrace the alumni.

Those teams don’t have staffs entirely comprised of alumni. I want the next assistant coach to be a non-alum so Red’s group can get an outside perspective. Strong is a step in the righ direction but he’s just a young, up and coming coach. If we bring in an experienced assistant coach I don’t want it to be a former SU player.