Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

Dream scenario. We move on from Griff, Hopkins comes back as an assistant/assistant head coach. Players love GMAC and Hop. You have two stud recruiters in Straughn and Hopkins. Gmac can develop guards, that is his strength. Just have him develop players and only recruit when needed. Let Hop develop and recruit. Straughn recruit. Autry be the CEO of the operation and close out on recruits
My dreams are way better than yours.

Dream scenario. We move on from Griff, Hopkins comes back as an assistant/assistant head coach. Players love GMAC and Hop. You have two stud recruiters in Straughn and Hopkins. Gmac can develop guards, that is his strength. Just have him develop players and only recruit when needed. Let Hop develop and recruit. Straughn recruit. Autry be the CEO of the operation and close out on recruits
What makes you think the players love Gerry more than Griff? How many players have had success here that Gerry recruited?

I love Hop and everything about him. Hops greatest asset was always his relationships, his ability to be the good Cop and befriend the player when Jim was Bad cop, and recruiting. As we have seen with JB's assistants and current coaches, assistants were never involved with the X's and O's during game days.

My point is, not sure where he is getting this lucrative NBA offer as a bench coach? His best assets play to the college game, not the professional game. Top paid assistants in the NBA are full on Defense or Offensive coaches. Which is not Hopkins strengths. I think the idea of him becoming the GM of Syracuse would be a tremendous position for him. Who knows where his head is at these days. Maybe he needs a break, maybe he is done with the way the college game has turned into, maybe he wants to stay out West.

Regardless, I wish him nothing but the best. He gave his heart to this program as both a player and a coach. Wish he would have had more success at Washington. I know he is from the West Coast and Basketball recruiting is more National than Football. But his relationships were on the east coast. I am glad he didn't, but I think he would have been a home run hire for a Northeast, Mid Atlantic team like Maryland, or some of our other Rivals I won't mention. Part of me wonders if he choose Washington because he had too much respect for Syracuse and Jim to compete on a regular basis against them.

I love Hop and everything about him. Hops greatest asset was always his relationships, his ability to be the good Cop and befriend the player when Jim was Bad cop, and recruiting. As we have seen with JB's assistants and current coaches, assistants were never involved with the X's and O's during game days.

My point is, not sure where he is getting this lucrative NBA offer as a bench coach? His best assets play to the college game, not the professional game. Top paid assistants in the NBA are full on Defense or Offensive coaches. Which is not Hopkins strengths. I think the idea of him becoming the GM of Syracuse would be a tremendous position for him. Who knows where his head is at these days. Maybe he needs a break, maybe he is done with the way the college game has turned into, maybe he wants to stay out West.

Regardless, I wish him nothing but the best. He gave his heart to this program as both a player and a coach. Wish he would have had more success at Washington. I know he is from the West Coast and Basketball recruiting is more National than Football. But his relationships were on the east coast. I am glad he didn't, but I think he would have been a home run hire for a Northeast, Mid Atlantic team like Maryland, or some of our other Rivals I won't mention. Part of me wonders if he choose Washington because he had too much respect for Syracuse and Jim to compete on a regular basis against them.
Hop has relationships with both current and former NBA players and front office personnnel (Troy Weaver and others). He worked with two or three different Olympic teams so he has relationships with all of those guys. The guy has a great reputation.

You have to almost try to blow a 25 point lead.
You would think so but you see blown leads, even 25 points, all the time. I don’t think any lead is safe anymore.

Sign me up for this. Removing GMac from being lead recruiter needs to be done now and give Straughn that title.

i've posted this 3x the past few months, with the general consensus:
"Not gonna happen."
But it should.

He chose Washington because it was the first good opportunity for a head coaching gig once he became fully aware of the reality he was facing. That being, JB had absolutely no intentions of going quietly into the good night as originally laid out.

He chose Washington because it was the first good opportunity for a head coaching gig once he became fully aware of the reality he was facing. That being, JB had absolutely no intentions of going quietly into the good night as originally laid out.
I understand, but Hop screwed himself by taking the first job that presented itself and not the best job. He rushed his decision, mostly because of Jim’s situation.

I understand, but Hop screwed himself by taking the first job that presented itself and not the best job. He rushed his decision, mostly because of Jim’s situation.
I disagree. Washington was a very good job and Hop probably wasn't going to do better. Yes, USC would have been better if that had worked out but it didn't.

I disagree. Washington was a very good job and Hop probably wasn't going to do better. Yes, USC would have been better if that had worked out but it didn't.
I don’t think Washington is a bad job at all. Ultimately, imo it was bad for him to go West away from all his relationships. I understand that is home, but it’s a big change from the Northeast where his entire coaching career occurred.

I don’t think Washington is a bad job at all. Ultimately, imo it was bad for him to go West away from all his relationships. I understand that is home, but it’s a big change from the Northeast where his entire coaching career occurred.

Not even that, it's 1100 miles or so from his boyhood home.

Pay was probably good and life in Seattle nice.

Could he take a USC job if they have a bad year next year?
(almost slipped and said 'he'd be back in the ACC' - wrong sorry)

Also Westry and Taylor.
1708876353972.gif