Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

I am pretty sure a major reason why he went there was also to be close to his father. I could see him staying in that neck of the woods for a while. Seems like a family guy and money is likely no issue for him.
His dad sadly passed away last year but his mother is still alive, I believe.

Grant has BC playing well. I believe they will beat Virginia today. They are so much better to watch offensively than SU. They play with a purpose every time down the floor. I still don’t understand what SU is trying to do except Judah and Copeland going one on one every time they touch it. It’s ugly basketball that won’t win consistently. It’s unwatchable at times.

Well, if rumors are to be believed, that's not the offense they were coached to run... and hence a big part of why they are both out the door.

Last edited:
Stay in the NBA, Hop.

Phoenix needs its guys to stay healthy and Ishbia to ease it on new owner syndrome.

I've loved Mike Hopkins ever since he sent me a personalized Christmas Card in 1996 when I was in 8th grade. I wish him nothing but the best and I think this move is a great breath of fresh air for his career. Well technically hot suffocating air because it's Phoenix, but you know what I mean.

I've loved Mike Hopkins ever since he sent me a personalized Christmas Card in 1996 when I was in 8th grade. I wish him nothing but the best and I think this move is a great breath of fresh air for his career. Well technically hot suffocating air because it's Phoenix, but you know what I mean.
It seems most have a personal Hop story. Hop was the guest speaker at my HS's end of year sports banquet my sophomore year. He golfed before and clearly enjoyed a few drinks. He was lubed up pretty good and very entertaining and funny when he spoke.

Last edited:
That has to be best case scenario for him. Wow congrats Hop. Amazing area to raise a family. Budz will get that team rolling next year. Perfect opportunity for him
How old are his kids these days? He still has some in the house?

Great guy. I am very happy for him.

I am going to guess he is done with college basketball but for the sake of the kids he might still coach, I hope he returns there someday soon.
I imagine he’ll see if he prefers the NBA over college. Great move for his future. Wishing him the best for himself, his family, his future.

I imagine he’ll see if he prefers the NBA over college. Great move for his future. Wishing him the best for himself, his family, his future.
I understand any football or basketball coach who now prefers the pros to college ball.

The amount of time and effort needed to field a competitive team was always big but now it seems like an insane commitment. College jobs seem a lot less attractive these days, especially for a coach with a young family.