Mike Leach - Still a Genius? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Leach - Still a Genius?

Leach is solid and will win in that system once he gets a couple of recruiting classes under his belt.

Ray Rice decommitting was the #1 downfall of our program (well #2 with the hiring of captain kangaroo being #1). Bottom line is talent does rule and I think Nick Saban is a perfect example of that. Other than a 9-2 season at Sparty he was a .500 coach. LSU he had the one great year but again its LSU, the SEC and players flock like brown on to schools in that conference. Alabama he continues to get the very best talent and it is showing. He was a complete disaster with Miami in the NFL because, well the talent sucked.

You cant convince me that coaching trumps talent. Talent wins 9 out of 10 times. Grob wins 10 games with last years Alabama team.

Leach is solid and will win in that system once he gets a couple of recruiting classes under his belt.

Ray Rice decommitting was the #1 downfall of our program (well #2 with the hiring of captain kangaroo being #1). Bottom line is talent does rule and I think Nick Saban is a perfect example of that. Other than a 9-2 season at Sparty he was a .500 coach. LSU he had the one great year but again its LSU, the SEC and players flock like brown on to schools in that conference. Alabama he continues to get the very best talent and it is showing. He was a complete disaster with Miami in the NFL because, well the talent sucked.

You cant convince me that coaching trumps talent. Talent wins 9 out of 10 times. Grob wins 10 games with last years Alabama team.
Prime example being Auburn.

Chizik with Newton 14-0
Chizik without Newton 22-35

Leach is extremely good at what he does, much like the dude in wv. Add to that if he can get some talent out of California which has loads of it, he will be a tough game for all the PAC 12/14/16. That doesn't say he will be a 10 win guy though.

I'm not sold on the dude in WV as anything more than a really good OC ...yet..lets see if he can recruit and consistently win in the Big XII

At least with Leach he has proven that he can be a good HC, recruit, win big games, etc etc

I'm not sold on the dude in WV as anything more than a really good OC ...yet..lets see if he can recruit and consistently win in the Big XII

At least with Leach he has proven that he can be a good HC, recruit, win big games, etc etc

The dude did win an orange bowl game and I think both are really passing offensive guru's. Regarding the recruiting, you may be right when it comes to Leach and how can you dislike a guy that put Craig James kid in a shed?

exactly
part of the reason i prefer the air raid is that I think texas tech had a run of qbs who stepped in one after another, none of whom where NFL guys. guys like newton are really hard to find.

i think it might be part of the reason why marrone wants to be a zone read passing team. you don't have to have newton or pat white. jack of all trades master of none might be easier to find than those guys

might limit the upside in your best years but the flexibility might smooth your offensive production over many years with less sh!tshow seasons

Coaching I think matters most in football than any other sport. In basketball you can have a superstar that can carry a mediocre squad and coach. Case in point San francisco 49ers 2010 6-10, Enter Jim harbaugh 13-3, Alex Smith goes from collossol bust to competent quarterback and virtually all the same players.

I agree that it's more important in football than other sports. But that doesn't mean talent isn't still way more important.
Wade Phillips took over a 9-7 Parcells coached team and went 13-3. Eric Mangini took a 4-12 team in NYJ and went 10-6 his first year.
Stuff like that happens in the NFL all the time. Schedule, injuries, fumble recoveries & other such luck. I happen to think Harbaugh is the real deal but he wouldn't be the first coach to fizzle out after being hailed a genius after 1 year.

part of the reason i prefer the air raid is that I think texas tech had a run of qbs who stepped in one after another, none of whom where NFL guys. guys like newton are really hard to find.

i think it might be part of the reason why marrone wants to be a zone read passing team. you don't have to have newton or pat white. jack of all trades master of none might be easier to find than those guys

might limit the upside in your best years but the flexibility might smooth your offensive production over many years with less sh!tshow seasons
I think that's all true, and I also believe the air raid is particularly well suited to the Dome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom