Mike Lupica ESPN Sports Reporters: "Syracuse sinking like a rock" | Syracusefan.com

Mike Lupica ESPN Sports Reporters: "Syracuse sinking like a rock"

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Lupica also talked about Marcus Smart & how far he has come since the fan incident. "He lost his head and you never put your hands on fans but look how inappropriately Jim Boeheim behaved in Cameron last week and he's 50 years older than Marcus Smart."

Uses Syracuse as an example. "Everyone knows how good Syracuse is and they have scored in the 50s barely beating Pitt and NC State then only scored 59 against UVA and then 60 in that crazy ending at Duke"

Suggests a 30 second shot clock and them just rips into the ugly product CBB has become. This is gaining traction, hopefully something is done. CBB is just awful right now.

Uses Syracuse as an example. "Everyone knows how good Syracuse is and they have scored in the 50s barely beating Pitt and NC State then only scored 59 against UVA and then 60 in that crazy ending at Duke"

Suggests a 30 second shot clock and them just rips into the ugly product CBB has become. This is gaining traction, hopefully something is done. CBB is just awful right now.

As most of you know, I completely agree with him.

A shorter clock with our zone? All for that.

Sports Reporters airs again at 10:30AM today on ESPNU

In addition to the above they talk about what Carmelo Anthony should do next year & they comment on SU's low scoring games and the need for a 30 second shot. They also show CJ's foul & JB's "AARP strip show."

best thing that could happen for college ball as a whole, and SU in particular, would be to shorten the shot clock!

30 second shot clock. 6 fouls before fouling out. No more 1 and 1

Let's make it happen.
30 second shot clock, absolutely needed. 6 fouls, gotta say no. If you think JB uses a short bench now, with 6 fouls it would cause more shrinkage than cold weather.

Let's make it happen.

Why no more 1 and 1? Managing team fouls to a minimum number would help the game flow and pacing, not hurt it. And by keeping team fouls to within 7 before the last few minutes, the reward is you get to take possession without giving up a basket, unless the other team can knock down free throws, so it emphasizes good shooting at the stripe too. I would not want to sit and watch a 7 footer take 2 chances at a FT when everyone knows he has no chance at either, for example.

No more one and done.

Shorter shot clock

Move the 3 point line out further

No more one and done.

Shorter shot clock

Move the 3 point line out further
you think moving the line back would increase scoring? No, it wouldn't.

Let's make it happen.

1 and 1 is the single stupidest rule in basketball

No it would make teams play inside more instead of just jacking up 3s all game.
No. The defense would pack it in and make it impossible to get the ball inside. The offense would have less time to find a way to find a way with the :30 second clock as well. Two bad ideas.

30 second shot clock, 6 fouls and get rid of the one and one.

No one wants to watch teams drain the clock doing nothing just to shorten the game.

No one wants to watch games decided because the best players got in foul trouble. If CBB officiating wasn't inconsistent, pure garbage maybe this wouldn't be necessary.

One and one is just stupid.

Bottom line. CBB as a product sucks and more and more people are realizing this. Officiating and one and done are the main culprits.

*my opinion below*

This is why I have to smirk at the people who not only claim college is better than the NBA, but go full-blown "the NBA sucks".

Don't get me wrong, I love college more than professional, mostly because I love SU and don't have my own team in the NBA I care for nearly as much.

But in terms of actual good basketball? It's not even close. The NBA product is insanely better. The issue professionally is simply the lack of parity.

*my opinion below*

This is why I have to smirk at the people who not only claim college is better than the NBA, but go full-blown "the NBA sucks".

Don't get me wrong, I love college more than professional, mostly because I love SU and don't have my own team in the NBA I care for nearly as much.

But in terms of actual good basketball? It's not even close. The NBA product is insanely better. The issue professionally is simply the lack of parity.

The NBA is entertainment with a basketball. Period. When I want to watch basketball games I watch NCAA.

*my opinion below*

Yup. Exactly. Refs are better. Play is smoother. Talent is obviously higher. There is a romanticism to the college game, but it's not close to being better basketball.

If you truly love basketball, go watch a replay of last year's finals.

The NBA is entertainment with a basketball. Period. When I want to watch basketball games I watch NCAA.

The NBA is a business. Correct. It's about entertaining the fans ($$). Correct. But, it's better BASKETBALL. You'd rather watch 50 point games on cringeworthy offensive displays. No problem, that's fine...I do too (usually, and always when SU is on).

GoHamSU said:
*my opinion below* This is why I have to smirk at the people who not only claim college is better than the NBA, but go full-blown "the NBA sucks". Don't get me wrong, I love college more than professional, mostly because I love SU and don't have my own team in the NBA I care for nearly as much. But in terms of actual good basketball? It's not even close. The NBA product is insanely better. The issue professionally is simply the lack of parity.

Well of course when you're picking the cream of the crop you're going to be better. Same with MLB over the minors. It's precisely that increasing parity that makes CBB interesting. Not to mention the rivalries that are more prevalent than in the pros. My biggest beef is with the horrendous refereeing. I think one reason may be that they travel so much that like players they may be fatigued. Don't know how they compare with pro refs in that regard. If anybody does know please enlighten me. But fatigue doesn't have anything to do with the ego problems that a lot of refs have. Numerous posters have said the best refs are ones who no one knows by name. They know the game is about the players, not them

the intent of the double bonus was to dissuade teams from fouling ad nauseam and shorten end game scenarios.

But it really hasn't done that. Teams foul just as much as they used to without the double bonus.

I think there should be a double bonus..but not until like the 12th team foul..

dasher said:
No. The defense would pack it in and make it impossible to get the ball inside. The offense would have less time to find a way to find a way with the :30 second clock as well. Two bad ideas.

I heard a commentator yesterday say the game was better without the 3 point shot. He said before the 3 point shot came into existence, players took the best jump shot regardless of where it came from. Now, many players just hang out around the 3 point line and jack them up. I can't disagree with him. The midrange game is not used nearly as much as it once was. And you have guys like Cooney playing a one dimensional game. I highly doubt we'll ever see the 3 point line go away. But perhaps moving the 3 point line back may lead to some players choosing to try other ways of scoring. Or not - may end up the way dash describes. I do think there's a good chance it will happen at some point though.