Mike Lupica ESPN Sports Reporters: "Syracuse sinking like a rock" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Lupica ESPN Sports Reporters: "Syracuse sinking like a rock"

If the NBA ever considered actually enforcing the rules, and evenly, then I might consider watching. When "stars" get to do what ever they want on offense regardless of rules while others do not, how can you say it is better? 3 steps before a travel call (if then!)? Continuation plays? How is that better basketball?

Ball movement.

Regarding the NBA: There are some bad games in college and the talent level certainly sin't the same, but you won't see an NBA game with the atmosphere of the SU-Duke 1, even in the playoffs. And college ball is all about team ball. None of this business of 8 guys standing there while two guys go one-on-one.

If it works, why do anything else? If your best offense is putting the ball in Lebron's hands, why not do it?

If we had a Carmelo type player (and we did), why not isolate him as much as possible? Actually, the more I think about it, the more it seems like our gameplan is not team ball at all. Constant isolations for Fair while Trevor stands in the corner. Where is the ball movement?

Ball movement.
So violating the rules makes for better ball movement and that means its better basketball? Then why have the rule? And if stars get such special treatment then why have fouls at all? Make it street ball and let the players call their own fouls.

If it works, why do anything else? If your best offense is putting the ball in Lebron's hands, why not do it?

If we had a Carmelo type player (and we did), why not isolate him as much as possible? Actually, the more I think about it, the more it seems like our gameplan is not team ball at all. Constant isolations for Fair while Trevor stands in the corner. Where is the ball movement?

I'm talking about the aesthetics of it. One on one, even with Lebron or Carmelo is not as interesting to look at as a team operating in unison. The fact that we aren't doing a very good job of that right now doesn't change my preferences.

Make a dunk worth three points.
It's funny Red Auerbach said much the same thing about layups. He said make them worth 3 points, it's harder to get to the basket and score than it is to jack up shots from the outside.

I'd rather watch Lebron go ISO than watch forty minutes of burn offense.