Mike & The MadDog 30 for 30 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike & The MadDog 30 for 30

I thought one hour was too short. It should have been two hours.

Also thought they talked about Mike more than Mad Dog.
I personally liked Mad Dog more than Mike.
Dog was an acquired taste. More of the traditional sports fans definitely leaned towards Mike. Especially if you are a Giants/Yankees fan. Even now, I don't like the hosts that lean towards the Jets/Mets. Nothing personal, it just doesn't interest me. It's surprising that Dog survived the early years when he really wasn't a NY sports fan and that's what a lot of the fans wanted. I think he worked really hard and he got a lot better through the years. You have to give him a lot of credit for that.

I'll have to watch this next time it's on because I've always thought Francesa was one of the biggest blowhards in sports media and can't imagine listening to him for hours each day. But that was just based on his time at CBS and some interviews I've seen. Never listened to the show so obviously I missed something pretty great.

He is, no question about that. I like sports talk radio and listen to his show on my drive to work, but only because ESPN radio made the switch from 1050 am station to 98.7 and the signal from the city is too weak to get. Sports Funhouse on twitter cracks me up with how bad Francesa really is.

Dog was an acquired taste. More of the traditional sports fans definitely leaned towards Mike. Especially if you are a Giants/Yankees fan. Even now, I don't like the hosts that lean towards the Jets/Mets. Nothing personal, it just doesn't interest me. It's surprising that Dog survived the early years when he really wasn't a NY sports fan and that's what a lot of the fans wanted. I think he worked really hard and he got a lot better through the years. You have to give him a lot of credit for that.
Poloquin survived in Syracuse hating SU and college sports in general.
Editors like conflict.

It was a good documentary, could have been great if it went 15 min longer and they got into more "major events" that were memorable from the 19 years. Some things I read and some of my thoughts are...

-The movie maker asked Imus to do it but he refused because he wanted creative control over the entire film so he didn't come off bad. Of course he was shot down. What a total jerk that guy is

-I know why ESPN wouldn't let it in the film, but they should have gotten into the fact in the mid-2000's ESPN blocked ESPN personalities from going on their show because their show was so big and powerful they didn't want to help them and they wanted to build up their own NYC Radio station. Should have been in there to get over the point how big they actually were in the industry. It makes ESPN look bad so clearly they wouldn't put that in.

-The Radio Row thing should have got more airtime it was glossed over big-time. People these days take it for granted there was always a radio row, those guy started radio row.

-They put over how close Mike was with Dog's father Tony Russo...but left out Mike spoke at Tony's funeral which was many years after they had split up

-A couple major events I am surprised the documentary didn't give more time to was Cory Lidle and his death, how they were close to Pat Riley and Riley hasn't spoken to either one in over 20 years because they ripped him for faxing in his resignation to the Knicks, and how Francesa and Bobby Valentine got into a fist fight at Shea Stadium during the show.

Thanks for heads up. I just watched it on the espn app. Reminded me of the time I was playing Stanwich in Greenwich about 20 years ago. The group in front of us were very slow. On the 6th hole, as we are waiting in the fairway, they wave us up. As we approach, we see it's Jim Nantz, Mike Lupica, Mad Dog, and whoever the member was who got them onto Stanwich.

I'm in the bunker green side, as I go to take my swing, Maddog drops to the ground like I'm going to skull it and hit him. Lupica is laughing like he's 17, and Nantz is mortified.

I'd like to say I got up and down, but I bogeyed the hole.

Mike and the dog were the kings back in the day. They were pioneers. When I moved to Boston in 1998, I would love when I drove home to NY to see the family. When I breached the berkshires, I'd fiddle with the radio for 660am. I'd listen thru static.

Those were the days.

I used to listen to them on my commute from NYC to Newark every night to go to law school from '89-'93. On the way home after class (around 9:30 - 10:00) I would listen to world music and Caribbean music shows on a couple of the college stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom