Mike waters article on early entries | Syracusefan.com

Mike waters article on early entries

jgeorge322

Living Legend
When Syracuse basketball players leave early for NBA, it's almost always right decision

What i dont get about the article is there is a lack of explanation as to the criteria for what he considers a right decisuob. This seems to be an editorial. waters seems to say the decision to leave might not have been a bad one, but that doesnt mean its the right decision imho. We can never truly know what is right or wrong as you can only make one choice, but waters should at least provide some type of rationale, otherwise, he mine as well just publish a list of career nba earnings for former players which the post does every so often as well.

When Syracuse basketball players leave early for NBA, it's almost always right decision

What i dont get about the article is there is a lack of explanation as to the criteria for what he considers a right decisuob. This seems to be an editorial. waters seems to say the decision to leave might not have been a bad one, but that doesnt mean its the right decision imho. We can never truly know what is right or wrong as you can only make one choice, but waters should at least provide some type of rationale, otherwise, he mine as well just publish a list of career nba earnings for former players which the post does every so often as well.
Indeed - the real question is if waiting another year would have improved their draft status or overall development and thus increased their earnings. And did he forget Harris and Devendorf?

Well, its not just how much you earned, but how much you hung onto or -- better yet -- how much you grew those earnings. A guy who gives up the chance to grow into the NBA, emotionally as well as skill-wise, let alone earn a college degree, in order to go to the League, probably made a bad decision if he blew all his earnings by age 30 trying to impress his posse and/or girlfriends.

It wasn't a good article. It focused too much on what they earned which isn't a good take being that it is pre-tax and not counting any responsibilities they may have had in addition just taking care of themselves.

Syracuse players do not have a good record of staying in the Association, that's a fact. However, that is not indicative of Syracuse as an institution and preparation. Boeheim does what he could and the rest is up to them once they get drafted to keep working and not getting comfortable.

Of the players that left early recently, I believe Waiters and Johnson were the only ones who made the best decision. Waiters had a monster year as a sixth man and would have started anywhere else his sophomore year; he was that good. Johnson was a fourth year Junior much like Villanova's Mikal Bridges and established himself as one of the nation's best during the 2009-10 campaign.

Indeed - the real question is if waiting another year would have improved their draft status or overall development and thus increased their earnings. And did he forget Harris and Devendorf?

I guess you can look at Harris and Devendorf but I've always heard they didn't exactly have a choice.

It wasn't a good article. It focused too much on what they earned which isn't a good take being that it is pre-tax and not counting any responsibilities they may have had in addition just taking care of themselves.

Syracuse players do not have a good record of staying in the Association, that's a fact. However, that is not indicative of Syracuse as an institution and preparation. Boeheim does what he could and the rest is up to them once they get drafted to keep working and not getting comfortable.

Of the players that left early recently, I believe Waiters and Johnson were the only ones who made the best decision. Waiters had a monster year as a sixth man and would have started anywhere else his sophomore year; he was that good. Johnson was a fourth year Junior much like Villanova's Mikal Bridges and established himself as one of the nation's best during the 2009-10 campaign.

When the guys on the low end have made $3-4m with the potential for more, it’s impossible to say it was the wrong decision. Most people don’t make that in a lifetime.

When the guys on the low end have made $3-4m with the potential for more, it’s impossible to say it was the wrong decision. Most people don’t make that in a lifetime.

I'm not looking at the earnings when talking about their decisions. Some guys needed to further refine their game. For example, McCullough's camp was pushing him to come back post-surgery. The earnings are a moot point in the conversation.

Be curious what players would say if you gave em truth syrum. Publicly they might say something diff because the ego is telling em to

I'm not looking at the earnings when talking about their decisions. Some guys needed to further refine their game. For example, McCullough's camp was pushing him to come back post-surgery. The earnings are a moot point in the conversation.

The earnings are the major point. It’s why they go to the nba.

JB for the most part has contended that getting to the second contract is the point. Lydon and Richardson aside, 8 of 12 made it to the second contract. That's quite an accomplishment. As for the $3M - $4M, the point isn't that most ppl don't make that in a lifetime, it's that most ppl don't spend like young NBA players spend. Right off the top you're losing more than 50% of it before you see a real dime. It's a well proven axiom that the more you have the more you spend.

The earnings are the major point. It’s why they go to the nba.

The overall conversation that people like you use is that they made money. We're talking about how they performed overall, yet the conversation keeps going back to money. If you flame out after your rookie deal, you hit your glass ceiling early because you were chasing a check instead of doing what was necessary to prolong your career. That's the problem Syracuse players have had for the last decade. Who among the recent draftees was a guy you looked at and said "he's a pro"?

The overall conversation that people like you use is that they made money. We're talking about how they performed overall, yet the conversation keeps going back to money.
Who's "we? I guess we should each name our criteria before arguing with each other. As has been said, it would have been a good idea for Mike to state his, in his piece.

Even if you try to evaluate it through the kids' eyes, it's still complicated. Is it the money? The lifestyle? The desire to be paid to play basketball for as long as possible?

JB for the most part has contended that getting to the second contract is the point. Lydon and Richardson aside, 8 of 12 made it to the second contract. That's quite an accomplishment. As for the $3M - $4M, the point isn't that most ppl don't make that in a lifetime, it's that most ppl don't spend like young NBA players spend. Right off the top you're losing more than 50% of it before you see a real dime. It's a well proven axiom that the more you have the more you spend.
Which raises the question of whether another year in school would help them learn to manage their money better.

I've said my opinion on this subject, but I would highly recommend listening to the Bill Simmons podcast with JJ Redick that they just did.

At the end of podcast (last 10 minutes or so, maybe?), JJ gives his POV on how he viewed going to Duke vs. the NBA at the time he went and what he would do now. He expounds on it, but he said that if he were coming to Duke now, he would only stay two years.

He also gives his opinion on college basketball vs the NBA and what you can do in college vs the NBA to get better.

Link: J.J. Redick on Philly’s Future, CP3’s Moment, and Stopping LeBron

The overall conversation that people like you use is that they made money. We're talking about how they performed overall, yet the conversation keeps going back to money. If you flame out after your rookie deal, you hit your glass ceiling early because you were chasing a check instead of doing what was necessary to prolong your career. That's the problem Syracuse players have had for the last decade. Who among the recent draftees was a guy you looked at and said "he's a pro"?

Who’s “we’re talking about”? The article and many posts talk about the money aspect.

If we're talking about success simply being a kid going high in the draft and getting a big payday, then anybody who signed for a million plus made a good decision.
But, if basketball is an art, (and, isn't that why we follow it?) then we should be evaluating success by how well each player developed his game in order to establish an appreciable career in the NBA.

If we're talking about success simply being a kid going high in the draft and getting a big payday, then anybody who signed for a million plus made a good decision.
But, if basketball is an art, (and, isn't that why we follow it?) then we should be evaluating success by how well each player developed his game in order to establish an appreciable career in the NBA.
I think most of the players that make the jump do so for the money. So ultimately, the question becomes if they had stayed longer would they have become a better player and earned more. On one hand, they may get a larger amount if they improve their stock. On the other hand, staying is one fewer year to make money (when the career of a pro is already pretty short) or their stock could decrease.

My take:

Going back to school does nothing to improve your draft stock. Fans want their team to win. I want players to do what they feel is best for them and their family.

Also, going back to school for one more year doesn't make you a better money manager. You're still 21 or younger.

My take:

Going back to school does nothing to improve your draft stock. Fans want their team to win. I want players to do what they feel is best for them and their family.

Also, going back to school for one more year doesn't make you a better money manager. You're still 21 or younger.

And you would be wrong.

I don't know if I would say they were the right decisions, though terming them as being not wrong would probably make more sense. Nobody knows if guys like Malachi, Grant, Lydon, etc would have improved their stock with another year, but getting guaranteed contracts almost assuredly has to be considered a good move.