Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

i think having a coach with real life perspective like this is a good thing. boeheim is smarter with his time than other coaches who will work 24/7, i think.

hop can give his dad memories while he still has the capacity, be a hero at UW, then come back with UW's blessing and continue here with a similarly intelligent perspective about how hard to make everything

i think having a coach with real life perspective like this is a good thing. boeheim is smarter with his time than other coaches who will work 24/7, i think.

hop can give his dad memories while he still has the capacity, be a hero at UW, then come back with UW's blessing and continue here with a similarly intelligent perspective about how hard to make everything

After reading the article, and making some major assumptions, I assume that coming back to SU will either never happen, or only happen after his father (at the minimum) has passed. You don't make a decision like this to be closer to family only to back out on that later.

Hop will be back. He just has to stay decent at UW and not get fired (which I dont think he will at all). With him running the show, watch out!!

Hop will be back. He just has to stay decent at UW and not get fired (which I dont think he will at all). With him running the show, watch out!!
Realisticly, why would he come back?
He has said that he wanted to establish his own program with his own culture.
If he came back to Syracuse, it would still be JB's program that he would be taking over.

Realisticly, why would he come back?
He has said that he wanted to establish his own program with his own culture.
If he came back to Syracuse, it would still be JB's program that he would be taking over.

Why would Roy go from KU and being in the title game to UNC? Something to be said to coach the school you went to. Also, going from UW to Cuse is a big stepping block. It's not going to happen tomorrow obviously but I truly believe Hop will be back. Might not be the first coach that replaces JB but I do think he comes back

These articles are leaving out some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that may not be easy to repair.

If I had to guess I'd say that he never coaches at SU, but things can obviously change. I wouldn't chisel that prediction in stone, but I don't think it's overly likely either.

Why would Roy go from KU and being in the title game to UNC? Something to be said to coach the school you went to. Also, going from UW to Cuse is a big stepping block. It's not going to happen tomorrow obviously but I truly believe Hop will be back. Might not be the first coach that replaces JB but I do think he comes back

I love SU hoops, but SU ain't UNC in terms of jobs. It's just not.

I love SU hoops, but SU ain't UNC in terms of jobs. It's just not.
You're missing the point of my reference to that...It was an example..KU and UNC were on par with each other as far as "jobs" and Roy made the change..

You're missing the point of my reference to that...It was an example..KU and UNC were on par with each other as far as "jobs" and Roy made the change..

I guess.

I just don't see it happening. And unless Hop wins the PAC every year for about 10 years, there are certain portions of the fanbase who'd rather open it up to a nation-wide search until we can convince Jay Wright to coach at SU.

And Washington isn’t Kansas. In actuality this step up would be monumental compared to Williams so I don’t understand your point.

Fair enough. How about this? Roy was born in NC. Hop's not a native NYer.

Yeah at about the same minute I posted...

You sure are ornery today. Jeesh.

Yeah. You could say that. Been a crappy week. Thank God for the Red Sox or it would be complete loss.

He'll come back if we want him and pay him to do so. Syracuse is a top notch job in college hoops. It sounds like the reason he finally went west was for his dad. Admirable decision. Life changes constantly and the opportunities to coach blue blood programs are near and far.

Of course if he kills it at Wash he may have the shot to stay out west and coach UCLA at some point too. It'll be interesting how it plays out.

I read this and the companion article about whether Hop would ever come back as: he ain't ever coming back. Absolutely not while his dad is living. But most likely never. He was even putting caveats on a "never say never" statement about coaching Syracuse. SU had the chance to have Hopkins as its coach and the opportunity was lost (for a variety of reasons). It won't happen now.

After reading the article, and making some major assumptions, I assume that coming back to SU will either never happen, or only happen after his father (at the minimum) has passed. You don't make a decision like this to be closer to family only to back out on that later.
his dad is ailing, unfortunately it happens fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom