Mike Waters podcast from CBS today on Fine situation | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters podcast from CBS today on Fine situation

Waters sure doesn't give an impression of not believing the story...

I think he know's it's not true. Just based on the older step brother denying it previously. That's all you need right there.

thought he actually did a good job of not inserting his opinion. It really isn't his job to give an opinion, its his job to report facts. In some ways he gave us his opinion when the PS dropped the story back in 2003 and didn't continue to pursue it.

so you think he believes it?

I don't know, but he was incredibly measured in his responses. Put it this way - he offered nothing along the lines of "our investigation was bulletproof and I don't think anything happened." Rather he went into detail about how many abuse victims change their stories, etc. I didn't get warm fuzzy feelings about how he responded.

he was being unbiased. He even is unbiased when it comes to Syracuse Basketball which he has covered for years.

Waters is concerned that the University didn't turn over their investigation to the police. Does this mean the PS and ESPN did?

Cheers,
Neil

But why would they turn over the case to the police if they weren't going to pursue it? The police turned it down because of the SOL and the University did their own investigation.

Waters is concerned that the University didn't turn over their investigation to the police. Does this mean the PS and ESPN did?

Cheers,
Neil

University is in a different position with respect to what they knew and what their obligation to do with it was then is either ESPN or the Post Standard. I am a little concerned by the fact that allegations came to light in 2005 that the University felt were serious enough that it had Bond, Shoeneck & King conduct an "independent" investigation, but yet it didn't feel it should report those allegations to the police.

I would like to hear the University's rational for handling it that way......or maybe I wouldn't?

Ahhh..and here comes Fitz, running his mouth, looking to be a tough guy for the cameras once again.

Why would SU turn their internal investigation over to the SPD when they had no corroborating evidence that a crime had been committed.

Bond, Schoeneck and King are reliable.

Why would SU turn their internal investigation over to the SPD when they had no corroborating evidence that a crime had been committed.

Exactly. And this was AFTER the police reviewed it.

Fitz is once again looking for a headline...

Let's back up for a moment: when this was originally investigated, Lang denied all of this?

I'm not saying a victim wouldn't deny it, but if I was a victim, and my brother was a victim, and someone was investigating my brother's claim and asking me to corroborate, I can't imagine I'd deny it. Maybe that's just me.

I guess it in part depends on what SU was investigating. If they were investigating the general allegations, which are of criminal activity then that isn't their role, rather that is the role of law enforcement authorities.

Doing it yourself and then choosing based on your findings not to report it smacks of cover up. Maybe they weren't investigating the primary allegations (ie. that Bernie molested young children) at the time?

In the podcast, MW raises something that has been bothering me...
How involved was the Syracuse PD with the university's '05 investigation. On the surface (the way most "outsiders" around the country are probably viewing it) it appears that they kept it internal when it should have been internal/external.
Unless I am missing something.

edit: oops, I posted this before the above was posted.

In the podcast, MW raises something that has been bothering me...
How involved was the Syracuse PD with the university's '05 investigation. On the surface (the way most "outsiders" around the country are probably viewing it) it appears that they kept it internal when it should have been internal/external.
Unless I am missing something.

Why would this be external? You do an investigation, come to a conclusion (after the police passed on it) that Fine is clear and then turn it over the police? That defies logic.

Getting confused as to where I read what - but I recall reading that in 2005, the university contacted the police to verify that Davis really did go to them. They verified it, but there was no police report because of the SOL. To me, that is a legit contacting of the police by SU. SPD was clearly not interested in pursing it at the time.

Getting confused as to where I read what - but I recall reading that in 2005, the university contacted the police to verify that Davis really did go to them. They verified it, but there was no police report because of the SOL. To me, that is a legit contacting of the police by SU. SPD was clearly not interested in pursing it at the time.

I also recall having read that since the SOL was up, the police referred Davis to SU, but he apparently didn't do that until 2005?

I believe that Fitz' point is that the University should have contacted the DA's office, not just the police, and informed them that they were going to do an internal investigation at which point the DA's office could have either joined with them or asked them not to do an internal investigation, but allow the DA's office to conduct an impartial one.

Had either the SPD back in 2003 or SU in 2005 done what Fitz said they should have, Fitz wouldn't have been hit with his pants down yesterday. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

I also recall having read that since the SOL was up, the police referred Davis to SU, but he apparently didn't do that until 2005?

I believe that Fitz' point is that the University should have contacted the DA's office, not just the police, and informed them that they were going to do an internal investigation at which point the DA's office could have either joined with them or asked them not to do an internal investigation, but allow the DA's office to conduct an impartial one.

Had either the SPD back in 2003 or SU in 2005 done what Fitz said they should have, Fitz wouldn't have been hit with his pants down yesterday. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

If Bond, Schoeneck and King did the investigation wouldn't they be the ones to contact the SPD in 2005? If SU had them handle a true independent inquiry it seems like they made the judgement not to involve the DA in their investigation. Interesting.