Mike's Mailbox: Could Syracuse basketball be part of MSG event with ex-Big East teams? | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Could Syracuse basketball be part of MSG event with ex-Big East teams?

Since the Orange moved to the ACC I, for one, have been suggesting a version of an annual "Old School Showdown" at either MSG or Barclay's.
Scheduling may not be quite as difficult as envisioned...the Orange are already trying to play UConn and G-town.
The event would be all but a guaranteed sell out.
Doing it Christmas week when the arenas may be more likely to have the openings could help.

My version would be SU and Pitt coming in to play a game each against UConn and G-town.
But Nova or SJU certainly could work.

Since the Orange moved to the ACC I, for one, have been suggesting a version of an annual "Old School Showdown" at either MSG or Barclay's.
Scheduling may not be quite as difficult as envisioned...the Orange are already trying to play UConn and G-town.
The event would be all but a guaranteed sell out.
Doing it Christmas week when the arenas may be more likely to have the openings could help.

My version would be SU and Pitt coming in to play a game each against UConn and G-town.
But Nova or SJU certainly could work.

MSG is already booked Dec 23, 25, 26, 27
Barclays is already booked Dec 23, 26, 27, 28

It’s easy if they rotated 4 teams every year from
ACC- Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Boston College
Big East- Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall
Big Ten- Rutgers
Big XII- West Virginia
American- UConn

I wouldn’t include Cincinnati or Louisville in the rotation.

Absolutely love the idea of MSG games with our old BE rivals! I think we should play one neutral site game at the Air Canada Center every year. There has been a lot of Canadian talent entering the college ranks recently and I think we are well positioned to be a landing spot for a lot of that talent. I would really like to strengthen our brand with our neighbors to the North.

i'd like to see a summer time tourney for charity featuring top players from power conferences.
10 dudes per conference . players can opt in or out. play outside on asphalt. winner gets bragging rights and maybe a hospital wing gets funded. if coaches want to hold somebody back for fear of injury so be it.
there is still plenty of talent left to fill a conference all star roster. and that i would pay to see.

i'd like to see a summer time tourney for charity featuring top players from power conferences.
10 dudes per conference . players can opt in or out. play outside on asphalt. winner gets bragging rights and maybe a hospital wing gets funded. if coaches want to hold somebody back for fear of injury so be it.
there is still plenty of talent left to fill a conference all star roster. and that i would pay to see.
While I agree with your thought the NCAA would be salivating at your request.

BC-UConn & SU-Georgetown need to have a tourney every year. The winner plays the winner, and the loser plays the other loser.

There would be real hatred in every game. And yes, I know we already play BC in the ACC schedule. It would still be worth it.

BC-UConn & SU-Georgetown need to have a tourney every year. The winner plays the winner, and the loser plays the other loser.

There would be real hatred in every game. And yes, I know we already play BC in the ACC schedule. It would still be worth it.

Not sure if BC wants another loss on their schedule.

It’s easy if they rotated 4 teams every year from
ACC- Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Boston College
Big East- Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall
Big Ten- Rutgers
Big XII- West Virginia
American- UConn

I wouldn’t include Cincinnati or Louisville in the rotation.
I would limit it to the original 9--before non-basketball considerations started warping the BE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom