Mike's Mailbox: Is Joe Girard the highest-scoring recruit in Syracuse history? | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Is Joe Girard the highest-scoring recruit in Syracuse history?

Could be some friendly competition next year as far as who is the better shooter - Buddy or Joe. I can see GMac getting into the mix as well during practice :)

hey at the Y we used to call those guys "gunners" . only one step above the sobriquet "basket hanger".

Could be some friendly competition next year as far as who is the better shooter - Buddy or Joe. I can see GMac getting into the mix as well during practice :)
Buddy has one of the best strokes I’ve seen. Even when he struggled I was convinced he’s going to be the best we’ve ever had. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is a 45-50 percent guy

"There’s another issue; however, and that’s with the banner commemorating the 2003 national title team. It doesn’t honor the entire team. It uses two photos; one of Jim Boeheim and one with Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara. It’s a horrible look. What about Craig Forth, Hakim Warrick, Billy Edelin and Josh Pace and every other member of that team?"

Tangent - this irks me as well. I have no problem with keeping the 2 photos if they add some more of the other players and/or team photo. Maybe add a few pictures of baton girl from that time frame as well.

I remember when I was a student there they had a canadian flag one corner. I'm still not sure why.

Isn’t there an Iroquois Nation flag in the Dome now? I assume that is an effort tied to recruiting, specifically in lacrosse. I always assumed the Canadian flag was tied to recruiting efforts as well.

Isn’t there an Iroquois Nation flag in the Dome now? I assume that is an effort tied to recruiting, specifically in lacrosse. I always assumed the Canadian flag was tied to recruiting efforts as well.
perhaps, never thought about it

Here is an article about the highest scoring high school players ever:
Top 10 single-season high school basketball scoring averages, including Bjorn Broman's 7th-place finish - MaxPreps
there are only five players who have averaged that much, seven if you round it off. None ever played for Syracuse, (and their rate of success at the next level is not encouraging).

The highest scoring recruit I’ve heard of since I started following SU basketball in the mid 60’s was Hal Cohen. This article says he averaged 35 points per game:
Cohen Makes 598 Consecutive Free Throws
Again, his collegiate performance was nowhere near that: Hal Cohen

This article says that Jim Brown averaged 38ppg in high school and I remember reading that in his autobiography:
Jim Brown

Ernie Davis was a Parade All-American in basketball but I haven’t read that his scoring average was as high as Jim’s:
Ernie Davis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom