Milford | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Milford

Maybe it's an academic thing?

Maybe Money has some insight on this??? Would love to know since he is leading the nation in TFL and sacks last I saw.

As for Milford we were looking at a Kyle Buss??? Don't know much about him. I accidently said Nassau earlier

SU will have seven DE returning next season, how many do people want? I am not being sarcastic I seriously wonder if there is room for more than one at the position. All of the defensive ends will be upper class-men except Johnson. I would be surprised if the staff took another JUCCO DE even if Barnwell is very talented.

SU will have seven DE returning next season, how many do people want? I am not being sarcastic I seriously wonder if there is room for more than one at the position. All of the defensive ends will be upper class-men except Johnson. I would be surprised if the staff took another JUCCO DE even if Barnwell is very talented.

DMC said it right.

I think it's pretty cool that Milford has the players try to keep their commitments to the schools. That said, things do change and if the school that was recruiting them has a lot recruited a lot of good players in their position that they didn't have the year before because of needs/coaching change, it's more than fair to look into other choices.

SU will have seven DE returning next season, how many do people want? ... All of the defensive ends will be upper class-men except Johnson. I would be surprised if the staff took another JUCCO DE even if Barnwell is very talented.

Take as many as 3, if we can attract the right talent.
We play 4 in rotation.
Thompson & Johnson are big enough now to slide inside on passing downs.

I'd bring in at least 1, but if Poncho is a difference maker then bring him in no matter what even if he's a juco. Why are we all sweating bullets over Welsh's injury right now?, because we don't have much behind him.

Next Season 2014/2015
Don Simmons - junior torn acl
Isaiah Johnson - sophomore
Ron Thompson - sophomore
Micah Robinson - senior
Robert Welsh - senior
Josh Manley - sophomore
Tyler Marona - dnp injury has redshirt
James Washington - lb/de sophomore

2015/2016

Don Simmons - senior
Ron Thompson - junior
Josh Manley - junior
Isaiah Johnson - junior
Washington - junior
Marona - sophomore

I'd bring in at least 1, but if Poncho is a difference maker then bring him in no matter what even if he's a juco. Why are we all sweating bullets over Welsh's injury right now?, because we don't have much behind him.

Next Season 2014/2015
Don Simmons - junior torn acl
Isaiah Johnson - sophomore
Ron Thompson - sophomore
Micah Robinson - senior
Robert Welsh - senior
Josh Manley - sophomore
Tyler Marona - dnp injury has redshirt
James Washington - lb/de sophomore

2015/2016

Don Simmons - senior
Ron Thompson - junior
Josh Manley - junior
Isaiah Johnson - junior
Washington - junior
Marona - sophomore

Apparently Syracuse has moved on, which I guess I don't mind since he is at Nassau. For some reason i was thinking Milford.

I also totally agree with you about grabbing a kid if we feel he can be a player. Shafer has shown to be targeting a much different skill set in players then Marrone was. While it appears that we certainly have depth, we still don't have an end that has shown they can generate a pass rush. I have a feeling Johnson, and maybe eventually Thompson can give you that, but the rest are more of run stuffers that could potentially be moved inside.

Apparently Syracuse has moved on, which I guess I don't mind since he is at Nassau. For some reason i was thinking Milford.

I also totally agree with you about grabbing a kid if we feel he can be a player. Shafer has shown to be targeting a much different skill set in players then Marrone was. While it appears that we certainly have depth, we still don't have an end that has shown they can generate a pass rush. I have a feeling Johnson, and maybe eventually Thompson can give you that, but the rest are more of run stuffers that could potentially be moved inside.
Too bad Simmons got hurt. I heard he was doing great before his injury.

Too bad Simmons got hurt. I heard he was doing great before his injury.
Especially now that Thompson, and Johnson have gotten into the rotation, those 2 have big upside.

Looks like a solid group of kids at Milford this season. We’d be foolish not to send a contingent down there to scout and gauge interest.

OL Tim Gardner 6-4 320 – Indianapolis, IN – kid was booted from Ohio State this summer before practice started. Doesn’t seem like it was much of a big deal (petty charge obstruction of business or something) and Urban might have had to make a statement after their previous run-ins. I’d be ALL OVER this kid – offered by ND last year to.

TE Jordan Fuchs 6-6 220 – Queens, NY – uconn verbal from hs

LB Tony Lashley 6-2 220 – Independence, MO – Idaho verbal from hs, is tearing up the defensive stat sheet

DT Eric Mayes 6-5 260 – Sarasota, FL – usf verbal from hs

DE Ahkeem Barton 6-3 250 – Miami, FL – fiu offer

WR Zach Grant – 6-1 175 – Atco, NJ – allegedly held a Syracuse offer last year

ATH Juwan Jackson – 6-4 200 – Newark, NJ. This kid had a lot BCS interest. If qualified he’s BCS talent

OL/DT Jomel Ribalta – 6-3 340 – Miami, FL Hialeah. Had D1 offers in HS including Minnesota

DL Eric Waife – 6-5 260 – Egg Harbor, NJ – buttgers verbal from hs

OT Chasz Wright – 6-7 300 – Woodbridge, VA – uconn verbal from hs. Alleged offers from psu and ncstate.

There are a handful of other kids that are potentially D1 talents. I’d say upwards of 10.

Well someone from the DO must read this site...

http://www.dailyorange.com/2013/09/...yracuse-producing-14-players-in-last-7-years/

"SU offensive line coach Pat Perles was the first Orange coach to visit this season, looking at offensive linemen on Thursday. While he didn’t make it clear to Chaplick which players he was particularly interested, Perles did call 6-foot-3, 280-pound Alexander Thompson last Friday."
athompson.jpg
ALEXANDER THOMPSON #55 OL 6'3" 280 lbs. Lawnside, NJ

Last edited:
That’s awesome. Sometimes I go fishing, throw the bait in the water and see who takes it. Exactly what I was fishing for.

By the way, I didn’t post Thompsons name originally but he was one of the ‘10’ kids on my list. Originally committed last season to Delaware. Would grades be an issue for D1AA kid or is he at Milford looking for a bigger offers?

ALEX THOMPSON • 6-4 • 265 • Offensive Line • Lawnside, N.J. (HaddonHeights HS): Played at Haddon Heights High School for head coach Ralph Schiavo...projected as an offensive guard...captain and three-year starter...first team All-State Group 2, first team All-South Jersey, and first team all-conference as a senior in 2012...earned Brooks Irvine Scholar-Athlete Award...graded out at 98 percent on offensive line as a senior...defensively, recorded 108 tackles and six pass breakups as a defensive end in 2012...led 2012 team to 7-3 record and state playoff berth...2011 squad went 8-3 and advanced to the state semifinals...four-year varsity wrestler who was ranked No. 1 in the state at the 285 lb. classification...captain of wrestling team...plans to major in history...son of Esther and Arthur Thompson...comes from an athletic family as older brother,  Patrick Thompson, was a record setting running back at NCAA III Rowan University; father played offensive line at Rutgers (1971-74), and cousin, Jeremy Thompson, was a NFL Green Bay Packers draft pick.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/847051/highlights/20360380

Last edited:
Just read the DO article. Not bad, some facts are wrong but no biggie.

The glaring thing that stood out to me which I hope gets corrected was this:

"This year, there are no current Milford players committed to Syracuse. Chaplick hasn’t even spoken with first-year head coach Scott Shafer.

But the history is more important. The 14 Milford players that have played for Syracuse since 2005 provide Chaplick assurance that Shafer will come back for more.

“I don’t have to have him sit in my office,” Chaplick said. “I have a long-term relationship with Syracuse.”

Based on Chaplick's comments it's not a huge deal and Perles has been down there but ya hope that Shafer calls the guys. They should have a relationship.

P fired at UConn. I wonder how the staff views Fuchs. Maybe they go after him.

P fired at UConn. I wonder how the staff views Fuchs. Maybe they go after him.
If we didn't offer him yet it's very unlikely he's on our radar. Not sure we want kids committed to those schools anyways.

If we didn't offer him yet it's very unlikely he's on our radar. Not sure we want kids committed to those schools anyways.
Justin Noye is one kid I though we might be watching. Size and speed that could plug in a few different positions. Not on our "A" list evidently.

Justin Noye is one kid I though we might be watching. Size and speed that could plug in a few different positions. Not on our "A" list evidently.

Unfortunately we passed or i'm pretty sure he would be Orange

That’s awesome. Sometimes I go fishing, throw the bait in the water and see who takes it. Exactly what I was fishing for.

By the way, I didn’t post Thompsons name originally but he was one of the ‘10’ kids on my list. Originally committed last season to Delaware. Would grades be an issue for D1AA kid or is he at Milford looking for a bigger offers?

ALEX THOMPSON • 6-4 • 265 • Offensive Line • Lawnside, N.J. (HaddonHeights HS): Played at Haddon Heights High School for head coach Ralph Schiavo...projected as an offensive guard...captain and three-year starter...first team All-State Group 2, first team All-South Jersey, and first team all-conference as a senior in 2012...earned Brooks Irvine Scholar-Athlete Award...graded out at 98 percent on offensive line as a senior...defensively, recorded 108 tackles and six pass breakups as a defensive end in 2012...led 2012 team to 7-3 record and state playoff berth...2011 squad went 8-3 and advanced to the state semifinals...four-year varsity wrestler who was ranked No. 1 in the state at the 285 lb. classification...captain of wrestling team...plans to major in history...son of Esther and Arthur Thompson...comes from an athletic family as older brother,  Patrick Thompson, was a record setting running back at NCAA III Rowan University; father played offensive line at Rutgers (1971-74), and cousin, Jeremy Thompson, was a NFL Green Bay Packers draft pick.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/847051/highlights/20360380

absolutely love offensive lineman that are wrestlers. were pretty solid with the interior OL though, especially if we get a commitment from Roberts, or Smith next weekend. Could be plan B?

Also, agree that I would think Shafer would want to continue our relationship with Milford. I am sure setting up Cooper at Jireh had more to do with him being from No. Carolina, but who knows?

Not at Milford, but a guy I'm surprised we're not after is Aaron Ruff, the OT out of Philly currently committed to Temple. We've had good luck in Philly this year, seems like a guy whose ear Franklin and Custis could get into.

Unfortunately we passed or i'm pretty sure he would be Orange

absolutely love offensive lineman that are wrestlers. were pretty solid with the interior OL though, especially if we get a commitment from Roberts, or Smith next weekend. Could be plan B?

Also, agree that I would think Shafer would want to continue our relationship with Milford. I am sure setting up Cooper at Jireh had more to do with him being from No. Carolina, but who knows?

fwiw...

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 10h
Current Milford offensive lineman on SU o-line coach Pat Perles: "They said they were really, really interested."

Regarding Barnwell, I thought someone posted a bit ago that they thought he would never qualify academically.

fwiw...

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 10h
Current Milford offensive lineman on SU o-line coach Pat Perles: "They said they were really, really interested."

Who is Stephen bailey? Name isn't on the roster

Who is Stephen bailey? Name isn't on the roster

He is the reporter on the DO that wrote the story on Milford. He is referring to Alex Thompson saying that SU is very interested in him.

Last edited: