Mini Rant: People heading to the exits when TC was shooting free throws | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mini Rant: People heading to the exits when TC was shooting free throws

With all do respect to the old people mention, I sit with some real relics, and they never leave early.

We are in 309, and constantly yell "it's not over. Do you know who's gonna win? Why did you bother coming?"

I can't understand sitting there for two hours, yet not staying the extra 5 minutes to see who's gonna win. Why come then?

Befuddling to say the least.

We, folks, are the ultimate Orange fans. These people prove it.

Good point. It's the fair weather's for sure and the jackasses that buy tickets then never show up for a game.

Regarding parking in the VA garage, do you need a pass on game days or is it the standard $20. I'm bringing family to the Duke game and need to pre-plan because of health issues. I see that the VA has the bridge across Crouse Ave so that would be ideal. I'm so used to walking up the steps from Marshall that I've never noticed it before but the in and out access would be really helpful.

Here's what you do. Park in the VA garage. It's $15 unless you are a Vet, then it is $5 with ID. Whatever floor you end up on, take the elevator up it down to the 3rd floor. Get off the elevator and out the door to the street. Turn right and go to the next garage (easy 1 min walk in level sidewalk). Go into that garage and get in elevator up to 5th floor. That will take you to the catwalk across the street. Go into the first Gate there (Gate C I think). You'll be on the correct level for your section.

Those people should not be allowed back in the Carrier Dome to watch this team play basketball for the rest of the season in my opinion. In the One and One 45-42 game under 1 remaining.

You can't legislate against stupidity.

When I went to the SU @ Notre Dame football game in 2005, I was blown away at how nobody left early. We lost like 31-10 in a game that was never in doubt. When the game ended, virtually everyone stayed put while the band played the alma mater. It was strange, it was as if the fans actually enjoyed the college sports experience.

This is what it means to bleed Orange!

Fair weather fans and old people. I've watched them all season bolt early as they walk in front of me to hit the exit. They suck but I will give them credit for at least showing up in person, even it they show up late and leave early. At least they're not complaining about the parking.

Old people leaving early seems counterintuitive to me. I feel like it would be easier and less stressful for them to just stay put, relax, and let the crowd clear out, and then leave.

Here's what you do. Park in the VA garage. It's $15 unless you are a Vet, then it is $5 with ID. Whatever floor you end up on, take the elevator up it down to the 3rd floor. Get off the elevator and out the door to the street. Turn right and go to the next garage (easy 1 min walk in level sidewalk). Go into that garage and get in elevator up to 5th floor. That will take you to the catwalk across the street. Go into the first Gate there (Gate C I think). You'll be on the correct level for your section.
thank you! That is exactly what I need. Really, thank you bees. I've been trying to figure out the logistics since we got the tickets.

Old people leaving early seems counterintuitive to me. I feel like it would be easier and less stressful for them to just stay put, relax, and let the crowd clear out, and then leave.
traffic

Section 108 saw two people leave when there was still around 2 min left. SMH. My brother and I were dumbfounded as to how someone could leave at that point. Hell, we saw awful basketball for the first 35 minutes, the last 5 were at least exciting...and then you leave!!! Makes no sense. Look, I get it, if we are up 20 and people have better things to do...fine, have at it. But why come to a game and leave literally 5 min. before the final horn when the game is in doubt. im sure it happens most places but I just don't get it.

Keep in mind, we are all huge Orange fans, and we too will be OLD PEOPLE some day. These OLD PEOPLE were once the life's blood of these programs, and the new generation is treating them like dog crap. Often to their faces. I was taught to be respectful of my elders, even though I didn't always agree with them. I hope you do not get treated and spoke about like this when you graduate to OLD PEOPLE fandom. GO ORANGE (Mic drop)

I agree with much of what was said here and share your distaste for those leaving early. I'm guessing there are a plethora of reasons, and the portion of the exodus I could understand is those who tried making it to the end but succumbed to the need to hit the restroom before having an accident that now has the possibility of compounding the humiliation by being photographed and being accessible on the internet until the end of time.

I can not confirm the rumor that those in section 317 may be more troubled by said anxiety this season.

Keep in mind, we are all huge Orange fans, and we too will be OLD PEOPLE some day. These OLD PEOPLE were once the life's blood of these programs, and the new generation is treating them like dog crap. Often to their faces. I was taught to be respectful of my elders, even though I didn't always agree with them. I hope you do not get treated and spoke about like this when you graduate to OLD PEOPLE fandom. GO ORANGE (Mic drop)

no doubt but they shouldn't leave early

thank you! That is exactly what I need. Really, thank you bees. I've been trying to figure out the logistics since we got the tickets.

I mistyped the word "it" instead of "or". When you park in the VA garage take the elevator up OR down, depending on what floor you are on, to the 3rd floor.

I know 2 old people that leave early. But the don't leave, they go stand behind the last row of the 200's so that when the game is over they can get out the doors quicker.

Fair weather fans and old people. I've watched them all season bolt early as they walk in front of me to hit the exit. They suck but I will give them credit for at least showing up in person, even it they show up late and leave early. At least they're not complaining about the parking.

Where do you people sit? In sections 104, 105 it's not "old" people leaving. I saw only one older couple leaving in these sections - the rest were 20 & 30 year olds. Some guy yelled at 3 guys who were leaving -"the game's not over, the bars will still be open". One of the 3 guys turned and threw the finger while the other 2 just ignored it and kept going up the stairs. An usher last year told me that many of the early "leavers" head for the bathrooms knowing that there's no line before the end of games and will watch from the corridors as they walk to their exit. Just repeating what I was told.

Where do you people sit? In sections 104, 105 it's not "old" people leaving. I saw only one older couple leaving in these sections - the rest were 20 & 30 year olds. Some guy yelled at 3 guys who were leaving -"the game's not over, the bars will still be open". One of the 3 guys turned and threw the finger while the other 2 just ignored it and kept going up the stairs. An usher last year told me that many of the early "leavers" head for the bathrooms knowing that there's no line before the end of games and will watch from the corridors as they walk to their exit. Just repeating what I was told.

I sit in section 305 and it was a mix of people leaving. I've got to believe the difference between our sections is that I sit with the transients where you sit with mostly the season ticket holders who are actually invested in the outcome.

I love the guys at the top row of Sec. 311 ("311 Heaven") who yell at people when they leave early.
I had seats in Section 102, Row A (front row on the railing just to the right of the student section facing the court) and I couldn't believe it when I was people heading out in the last minute when we were only up 3 pts at the time. I actually yelled "where are you going, the games not over yet!" at one group and they looked back at me like there was something wrong with me for staying.
I mean really, the game was definitely not in the bag yet at that point because shortly thereafter, Miami hit what was originally ruled a 3 pt shot to cut the lead to only 2 pts.
Again, when I go to a game, I know I paid good money to be there and damn, I'm going to stay to the very end, even if it's a blowout.
But I can't believe anybody would leave early when the game is close like that in the final minute.
Where do they really have to be in such a hurry? I mean you already blocked out 2-3 hours to be at the game that afternoon, what's another 15-20 minutes of traffic to get out after the game?

Aw, c'mon, I couldn't leave in that situation, but I grew up singing "Different strokes for different folks ... " so, what the heck. Think of it this way, they're out of the way when you finally leave. Seriously. No one can can know what someone else's circumstances might be. I used to live in Edmonton back in the great days of Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri and Fuhr, et al. And people left early then, too. :noidea:

Last edited:
An usher last year told me that many of the early "leavers" head for the bathrooms knowing that there's no line before the end of games and will watch from the corridors as they walk to their exit. Just repeating what I was told.

It feels good having a respected board member such as yourself validate my theory from earlier that nobody probably would have paid attention to otherwise :) Sometimes we(myself included) tend to judge folks a little too quickly.

Yeah, the bladder thing must be a part of it. And that doesn't account for those who slam dunk a few brews by halftime. And maybe some would like to avoid the dreaded trough when it's cold and one's member is shriveled up a la George Costanza.

As far as old folks go, I just called up the local tv stations demanding that they air Matlock reruns much later, just in case.

These are the types of people that are soo stupid they think SU is an SEC team. they act as like its their their fanhood birth right when the team wins and every loss is inexcusable. as if we have millionaire paid professionals on our squad.

FYP

These are the types of people that are soo stupid they think SU is an NBA team. they act as like its their their fanhood birth right when the team wins and every loss is inexcusable. as if we have millionaire paid professionals on our squad.

hint to you morons...THE OTHER TEAM HAS PLAYERS ON SCHOLLY AS WELL.
This describes the Syracuse fan mentality perfectly and explains part of our problem with football attendance.

Those people should not be allowed back in the Carrier Dome to watch this team play basketball for the rest of the season in my opinion. In the One and One 45-42 game under 1 remaining.
Those are the people that help us get to 35,000 for the big games. That's the double edged sword of having an elite sports team. The bandwagon fans show up just because it's the coolest thing in town, not because they have an emotional investment, but they let us say we have the biggest crowds in college basketball. I've never understood why you leave any game early, but it'll never change.

I've always said I hope someday my life becomes so compelling that the 10 minutes I may gain by leaving a game early really amount to something! (Like missing the winning TD of the BC game to get the post game tailgate stoked and going - you know who you are!)

That being said - follow the protocol. Leave early during dead ball situations so you're less disruptive. And get to your seats before tip off! Really peeves me to see people, invariably seated in the middle of the section, struggle over 10 people while loaded down with 2 beers, nachos and a tray of Dome Dogs, find out that they are in the wrong row, trundle back and do it again on the other side of the aisle for the first 5 minutes of a game.

Maybe we should do it like the opera. Get to your seats before the curtain goes up or wait until halftime!

And get to your seats before tip off! Really peeves me to see people, invariably seated in the middle of the section, struggle over 10 people while loaded down with 2 beers, nachos and a tray of Dome Dogs, find out that they are in the wrong row, trundle back and do it again on the other side of the aisle for the first 5 minutes of a game.!

Or get to your seat before the start of the 2nd half - unlike the asshat yesterday that walked down on top of the bleacher in row A of section 102 with his hands full of food including some sort of messy sausage with peppers and onions thing that was dripping grease and dripped it on the heads and backs of everyone that he walked behind (we were all still standing and clapping waiting for the first FG of the second half). Got it on my shirt and in my wife's hair and she was not happy having to smell like peppers and onions for the rest of the day. The dude was just totally rude and inconsiderate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom