Minnesota hiring Nick Monroe | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota hiring Nick Monroe

No, they would say something to the effect of "it was just do good a deal to turn down" and everyone is fine with it. Nobody would blame him for any reason even if the job was even in Texas. This was in his hometwon where his parents still live

If the coach himself states it was a chance to move home that I had to take, well guess what that is most likely his #1 reason for leaving. Money is always part of any job. Should Monroe taken a lesser deal? It was total win/win for Monroe and good for him

I think Monroe was very loyal to Dino and respected him obviously because he would not have stayed here that long otherwise, he had other offers over the years and this one was just too good to turn down for NUMEROUS reasons. Sure the $ was there but if Coach said it gives him a chance to move home then that was probably the #1 factor. Very rare would somebody get pursued by another place of employment and take less $? Now if the employee was looking to move then that is different.

I don't see what the issue is? There isn't some huge Dino conspiracy theory here. IT HAPPENS EVEYRDAY and all professions
i dont think anyone is trying to maliciously create conspiracy theories, just people pointing out that it is a bit odd for a mid to low-level P5 team to lose 4 coaches (possibly 5) in one offseason

i dont think anyone is trying to maliciously create conspiracy theories, just people pointing out that it is odd for a mid to low-level P5 team to lose 4 coaches (possibly 5) in one offseason

The thread is about Nick Monroe leaving and why he did it with a post from somebody who talked to him directly yet some are still disputing it. I think other reasons for his leaving are exactly that "conspiracy theories"

Easily 80 to 100 hour work weeks.
i know you did some work at his house., I don't suspect he was ever there. An otherwise nice dude from my limited interactions.

i dont think anyone is trying to maliciously create conspiracy theories, just people pointing out that it is a bit odd for a mid to low-level P5 team to lose 4 coaches (possibly 5) in one offseason
There are some folks insinuating that losing a few coaches is a poor reflection on Dino and that it means there is something "wrong". And that's a bit much, in my opinion.

Seems more that it's just an outlier occurrence due to a confluence of unique circumstances in every case.

I'm not the biggest Dino fan, but some have a real fixation and everything that happens is a referendum on him. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

There are some folks insinuating that losing a few coaches is a poor reflection on Dino and that it means there is something "wrong". And that's a bit much, in my opinion.

Seems more that it's just an outlier occurrence due to a confluence of unique circumstances in every case.

I'm not the biggest Dino fan, but some have a real fixation and everything that happens is a referendum on him. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
admittedly, i am one of those folks who in that group, and was "laughed at" after it was 3 coaches that left. Now it's 4, and potentially 5. It's not meant to be malicious at Dino, more so, an attempt to say "hey, maybe something else is going on outside of people just jumping to get paid more".

Last edited:
admittedly, i am one of those folks who in that group, and was "laughed at" after it was 3 coaches that left. Now it's 4, and potentially 5. It's not meant to be malicious at Dino, more so, an attempt to say "hey, maybe something else is going on outside of people just jumping to get paid more".
Maybe. Or maybe... Anae was never intended to be a long-timer and 1 year up north was all he could stake... White had been courted repeatedly in prior offseasons and we managed to keep him on the fold, but the money and exposure from Nebraska was just too good to pass up... Monroe wanted to go home again (after he put in 7 years here, which is almost unheard of for college assistants)... the other guy(s) were part of the usual positional churn that happens to every program in the country.

Maybe. Or maybe... Anae was never intended to be a long-timer and 1 year up north was all he could stake... White had been courted repeatedly in prior offseasons and we managed to keep him on the fold, but the money and exposure from Nebraska was just too good to pass up... Monroe wanted to go home again (after he put in 7 years here, which is almost unheard of for college assistants)... the other guy(s) were part of the usual positional churn that happens to every program in the country.
very possible as well.

I believe Anae is where his grand kids are now if I read that correctly as well awhile back.

Concur

I take it all in with a grain of salt. Might be true. Might not.
Im talking about everything that is said to you. You take everyone's word with a grain of salt?

Im talking about everything that is said to you. You take everyone's word with a grain of salt?
Depends on what it is and how well I know the person saying it.

However, I won’t lose any sleep tonight wondering if he did it for the love of Minnesota or money or both. Re-read my original post and let me know which sentence you think is out of line.

Depends on what it is and how well I know the person saying it.

However, I won’t lose any sleep tonight wondering if he did it for the love of Minnesota or money or both. Re-read my original post and let me know which sentence you think is out of line.
Well maybe I have a relationship with him. No one said you was out of line. You replied to me. I asked you questions.

The thread is about Nick Monroe leaving and why he did it with a post from somebody who talked to him directly yet some are still disputing it. I think other reasons for his leaving are exactly that "conspiracy theories"
What i find encouraging is that Both White and Nick left for reasons other than money. White is on record as saying that which is great news. Syracuse and any other school can't keep coaches that want a promotion or want to work for a friend or simply want to go home. That is all great news, and it is another reason that i hope we build a base of coaches that love our area.

i know you did some work at his house., I don't suspect he was ever there. An otherwise nice dude from my limited interactions.
Loved him. Did carpet lvt and vinyl wherever she wanted. Thought he coulda been a good dc. Maybe I was wrong.

I for sure wont make this political...but look at what's going on around us...conspiracies are all the rage

Hey, don’t bring Shafer into this whole debate

I thought of a certain ex-President and was going to challenge the part bolded in Scooch's post.

But then I remembered this is a family forum.

The Shafer reference was a much better path to take.

Attachments

• 1674859962651.jpeg
    1674859962651.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 32
What i find encouraging is that Both White and Nick left for reasons other than money. White is on record as saying that which is great news. Syracuse and any other school can't keep coaches that want a promotion or want to work for a friend or simply want to go home. That is all great news, and it is another reason that i hope we build a base of coaches that love our area.
Years ago, I held an equity position in an excellent company, but it was located in a city that my wife and I didn't care for. It was land locked and we both were raised by water and loved the outdoors. My first Daughter was born there, and we decided to move. The move was not good from a financial standpoint as we left behind a considerable amount of money. Still the quality of life for us was about more than money and if I had the same decision to make today 40 years later I would even though that decision cost us millions of dollars.
My personal example is probably why I'm adamant on Syracuse hiring coaches whenever possible that are a good fit. Meaning that they want to be here. Syracuse isn't just a stop on the way to bigger and better things it is a destination. When we look back, I think that our best staffs were headed up by coaches that had Eastern roots. Guys from the region. Mac and P JB. This my primary issue with Dino and based on what I heard from someone very much in the know I'm probably wrong but in my gut, I see Dino as a guy who views Syracuse as a stop vs a destination. Time will tell but I have an odd feeling that if Dino does well next season and is offered a lateral job, he will take it. Hopefully not but that is my gut feeling.
Back to this post it is good to know that it wasn't money, wasn't the fact that we can't compete financially for coaches but rather it was other reasons for most of the departures. If that is the case and we hire destination coaches, we should be in better shape moving forward. You hire the family not just the individual and I believe that really matters in the case of SU. Fortunately for Syracuse the Athletic department is run by a true SU guy someone who bleeds Orange. A Destination guy,

Years ago, I held an equity position in an excellent company, but it was located in a city that my wife and I didn't care for. It was land locked and we both were raised by water and loved the outdoors. My first Daughter was born there, and we decided to move. The move was not good from a financial standpoint as we left behind a considerable amount of money. Still the quality of life for us was about more than money and if I had the same decision to make today 40 years later I would even though that decision cost us millions of dollars.
My personal example is probably why I'm adamant on Syracuse hiring coaches whenever possible that are a good fit. Meaning that they want to be here. Syracuse isn't just a stop on the way to bigger and better things it is a destination. When we look back, I think that our best staffs were headed up by coaches that had Eastern roots. Guys from the region. Mac and P JB. This my primary issue with Dino and based on what I heard from someone very much in the know I'm probably wrong but in my gut, I see Dino as a guy who views Syracuse as a stop vs a destination. Time will tell but I have an odd feeling that if Dino does well next season and is offered a lateral job, he will take it. Hopefully not but that is my gut feeling.
Back to this post it is good to know that it wasn't money, wasn't the fact that we can't compete financially for coaches but rather it was other reasons for most of the departures. If that is the case and we hire destination coaches, we should be in better shape moving forward. You hire the family not just the individual and I believe that really matters in the case of SU. Fortunately for Syracuse the Athletic department is run by a true SU guy someone who bleeds Orange. A Destination guy,
To be clear, I have zero issues with the expression of opinions, especially on a fan forum.

The problem is that getting into extended debates and reasserting your beliefs over and over and over based on anecdotes or personal experiences is a logical fallacy without any contributing evidence or factual data. You are repeatedly posting negative assumptions about Dino's character, motives, and thinking based mostly on your personal experiences. More than that, you admittedly continue to do so despite contradictory information from "someone very much in the know" and the undeniable FACT that Dino is entering his 8th season at a "destination" you think he sees as only a "stop."

To be clear, I have zero issues with the expression of opinions, especially on a fan forum.

The problem is that getting into extended debates and reasserting your beliefs over and over and over based on anecdotes or personal experiences is a logical fallacy without any contributing evidence or factual data. You are repeatedly posting negative assumptions about Dino's character, motives, and thinking based mostly on your personal experiences. More than that, you admittedly continue to do so despite contradictory information from "someone very much in the know" and the undeniable FACT that Dino is entering his 8th season at a "destination" you think he sees as only a "stop."
Spoken from a true data person!

Reactions: 007

He is still here primarily because of his contractual terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom