Mintz to NBA Draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mintz to NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are averaging more PPG this year and shooting the same percentage from the field as last year. It's not a teammate thing. Watch him on breaks. He always takes the shot himself. ALWAYS. I'm not criticizing Mintz. He's a great college player, but the reason he doesn't have many assists is because he's a score first PG.
Before ACC play we are yeah. And every play I can recall that you mention on fast breaks specifically he as scored, drew the foul, or got an and 1. Not uncommon to see that in the NBA either.

Personally I think his passing habits are far down the list of problems that NBA scouts would have with his game. I think his shooting ability is problems 1-3. He still does not like to shoot from any sort of range unless he has plenty of space. His three ball percentage wise is good but I could never see him being able to catch and quick release the three ball at a NBA level of speed. He still needs a lot of time to get that shot off. That would be followed by his height/weight/length IMO. That will be a bigger crutch for him in the league on both offense and defense.

He is a dawg as a college player and he has carried the team on his back this season so I feel weird focusing on his faults from an NBA perspective. We are in "not 10 ****** games!!" territory without his effort this season

Quickley missed 23 free throws in college. Total.
Judah has missed that many this season already.

I don't think a free throw attempt rate is a 1st round selection criteria since it doesn't even show up on leaderboards.

Quickley was 15 pounds heavier out of UK and shot 43% from 3 making over 2 a game and 93% from the line. Other than that maybe.
He was also worse in many regards than Mintz. Sorry the comparison between two unique humans wasn't perfect. Judah is a better prospect if anything

He was also worse in many regards than Mintz. Sorry the comparison between two unique humans wasn't perfect. Judah is a better prospect if anything
So if it's so obvious, then why is he projected as a mid-2nd rounder? Anti-Cuse bias?

Before ACC play we are yeah. And every play I can recall that you mention on fast breaks specifically he as scored, drew the foul, or got an and 1. Not uncommon to see that in the NBA either.

Personally I think his passing habits are far down the list of problems that NBA scouts would have with his game. I think his shooting ability is problems 1-3. He still does not like to shoot from any sort of range unless he has plenty of space. His three ball percentage wise is good but I could never see him being able to catch and quick release the three ball at a NBA level of speed. He still needs a lot of time to get that shot off. That would be followed by his height/weight/length IMO. That will be a bigger crutch for him in the league on both offense and defense.

He is a dawg as a college player and he has carried the team on his back this season so I feel weird focusing on his faults from an NBA perspective. We are in "not 10 ****** games!!" territory without his effort this season
I agree he’s great. I was speaking specifically how I thought he translated to the pros. I do wish he would pass to some other guys when they are open instead of taking the shot because it would help build some lesser teammates confidence. That’s what great point guards do.

Last edited:
His shooting and defense have improved(mostly), but his distributing has gone backwards. He needs to show he can pass and he needs to show up against elite teams. UVA shutting him down did not help. Everyone knows he kills bad to mediocre teams.
yeah still hasnt really beaten anyone good much if ever in his ncaabb career

can he do it when the competition level rises?

also, I think his measurables are something he cant really change much and might limit his draft stock somewhat

I agree he’s great. I was speaking specifically how I thought he translated to the pros. I do wish he would pass to some other guys when they are open instead of taking the shot because it would help build some lesser teammates confidence. That’s what great point guards do.
You’re being too kind. He gets way too greedy at times, looking for his own points at the cost of the correct play. I’d much rather see Maliq crush an alleyoop dunk than Judah take an off balance drive to the lane where he might get the call, might make the shot and might make the free throw. Or might get hurt.

yeah still hasnt really beaten anyone good much if ever in his ncaabb career

can he do it when the competition level rises?

also, I think his measurables are something he cant really change much and might limit his draft stock somewhat
Measurables are somewhat overrated. Vanvleet, Kemba, Lowery, Brunson, Monk ... the list goes on and on with guys who overcame measurables. A firm understanding of the game, your abilities and disabilities, intellect and making the right plays are more important. Judah should always focus on making the right plays (mainly kicking out to teammates) rather than coming up short half of the time trying to finish the play at the rim. In my opinion, doing that will show him to be a competent point guard and could move him to the first round. Scouts pay attention to what would or should have been an assist. In a way, you could say Judah is hurting himself by relying on himself to carry the team instead of trusting questionable shooters. You can only get away with that type of hero ball if you are a sure fire NBA lottery guard.

Sad thread he’s scoring 20/night and shooting 42% from 3. Still dishes it fine but we need him to score his cast is pretty erratic our teams just not that good still even if it’s improving and Judah to the line is a good possession.

Disappointed he’s not getting more love in here I think it’s ridiculous and pathetic the entire first round are mostly losers on G league unite or overrated foreigners.

If you told people back in May that Mintz would be shooting 42% from three everyone would think he’d be a lock for lottery. Not slipping to a lower position than he was a year ago.
Put Sherm, and DC on this team and they would be undefeated.

All this said, Judah is one of the best guards in the ACC and SU is better off having him here and playing. It just shows how difficult it is to be in the NBA, let alone a first round pick. Competition in the league is no joke.

All this said, Judah is one of the best guards in the ACC and SU is better off having him here and playing. It just shows how difficult it is to be in the NBA, let alone a first round pick. Competition in the league is no joke.
Yep. Think the board gets hung up on if so and so if nba too much (prob myself included). We had month long threads about what a bad decision Jerami Grant made leaving and what a great decision Tyus Battle made returning. *shrug*

Well, we don't know how good we could be without him because he struggles to involve others.

Measurables are somewhat overrated. Vanvleet, Kemba, Lowery, Brunson, Monk ... the list goes on and on with guys who overcame measurables. A firm understanding of the game, your abilities and disabilities, intellect and making the right plays are more important. Judah should always focus on making the right plays (mainly kicking out to teammates) rather than coming up short half of the time trying to finish the play at the rim. In my opinion, doing that will show him to be a competent point guard and could move him to the first round. Scouts pay attention to what would or should have been an assist. In a way, you could say Judah is hurting himself by relying on himself to carry the team instead of trusting questionable shooters. You can only get away with that type of hero ball if you are a sure fire NBA lottery guard.
well yeah but a lot of NBA teams do value measurables

he's a very talented player

next level for him will be doing it consistently against top teams, imo (hopefully he can do that this season)...if he can play like he does vs lowly teams vs the top teams, i think it will cement his draft stock highly.

was shocked at how badly beekman made him look, for example.

it happens. but at the same time...most of judahs best games have been vs lower ranked teams, generally.

Yep, the NBA is a difficult road. So glad there is now an opportunity for a solid college player but marginal/borderline NBA prospect to become a millionaire by staying in college. A lot of guys would better their NBA chances if they could only understand that an NBA team consists of 2 and if the team is lucky, 3 players who are special and allowed to do anything on the court. Every player 3 or 4 through 15 are role players with defined roles and a short leash. It's always frustrating to watch summer league games and see guys being selfish and trying to be top dog and top scorers instead of realizing that those games are tuneups for the rookies and 2nd year players, and some teams are looking for an end of the bench guy with potential who shows an understanding of the game and won't hurt the team if and when they are called upon. But, it is also strange to see high achieving college players out there looking somewhat regular and fighting for recognition. Welcome to the real world.

All this negative criticism of Judah is unfounded and in some ways asinine. First of all don’t put too much stock in mock drafts. They’re all over the place. I’ve seen him in the mid to late 1st to mid to low 2nd. Second of all, he’s up in every category from last year except assists which is slightly down. Thirdly, he has to score for this team to have a shot to win, plus he doesn’t have Jesse for lobs and pick n rolls and Joe for kick outs like last year. He’s not only a good passer but a willing passer, just ask his Hall of Fame high school coach, Oak Hill’s Steve Smith and his AAU coach. Fourthly, his strength is underrated, just ask his fitness and strength trainer back home and on SU’s staff. He’s stronger than he looks. He’s not buffed but wiry like DeArron Fox. How do you think he finishes through contact? He falls down a lot because of how he at times contorts his body, and gets to the line which is valued by the NBA. He’s second in the nation to Zack Edey in getting to the line and shooting an impressive percentage. He’s giving his team and coaches just what they need. Ifvhenn bc played on a more talented team his assists would be up but he’d still be a scoring point guard. All this hating on Judah if he could see it would only serve as fuel for him. But then again perhaps not because he only knows his worth and is very confident in his abilities. Question I have for all you doubters is would you rather he was not in the team? Lastly, to say Judah was shut down by Reece Beekman is simply untrue. Even Beekman admitted that he was a tough cover and that he had help in guarding him which was a very classy thing to say. And this is from a guy who went up against him at the NBA combine. That was a bad game for Judah but it wasn’t all his fault. They kept running the same offense which wasn’t working. The coaches gotta take some of that blame. Every time he got the ball they hard hedged to take the ball out of his hand. Maybe some guard on guard screens might have helped, and certainly some better outside shooting would have helped. Hopefully that will happen next time we play them. I tend to think so. Red will definitely make some adjustments from last game and Judah will have a much better game. In the final analysis Judah will be in the NBA next year. Where he goes is still up in the air, but I’m sure he’s gonna surprise all you naysayers.

He has about as much chance of being a first round pick as I do. I’m 70 years old and a hockey player
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

I really hope he manages to climb into the late 1st. I love the kid and appreciate he gave us an extra year here.

Not feeling the generally negative vibe others seem to have around him but to each their own.

All this negative criticism of Judah is unfounded and in some ways asinine. First of all don’t put too much stock in mock drafts. They’re all over the place. I’ve seen him in the mid to late 1st to mid to low 2nd. Second of all, he’s up in every category from last year except assists which is slightly down. Thirdly, he has to score for this team to have a shot to win, plus he doesn’t have Jesse for lobs and pick n rolls and Joe for kick outs like last year. He’s not only a good passer but a willing passer, just ask his Hall of Fame high school coach, Oak Hill’s Steve Smith and his AAU coach. Fourthly, his strength is underrated, just ask his fitness and strength trainer back home and on SU’s staff. He’s stronger than he looks. He’s not buffed but wiry like DeArron Fox. How do you think he finishes through contact? He falls down a lot because of how he at times contorts his body, and gets to the line which is valued by the NBA. He’s second in the nation to Zack Edey in getting to the line and shooting an impressive percentage. He’s giving his team and coaches just what they need. Ifvhenn bc played on a more talented team his assists would be up but he’d still be a scoring point guard. All this hating on Judah if he could see it would only serve as fuel for him. But then again perhaps not because he only knows his worth and is very confident in his abilities. Question I have for all you doubters is would you rather he was not in the team? Lastly, to say Judah was shut down by Reece Beekman is simply untrue. Even Beekman admitted that he was a tough cover and that he had help in guarding him which was a very classy thing to say. And this is from a guy who went up against him at the NBA combine. That was a bad game for Judah but it wasn’t all his fault. They kept running the same offense which wasn’t working. The coaches gotta take some of that blame. Every time he got the ball they hard hedged to take the ball out of his hand. Maybe some guard on guard screens might have helped, and certainly some better outside shooting would have helped. Hopefully that will happen next time we play them. I tend to think so. Red will definitely make some adjustments from last game and Judah will have a much better game. In the final analysis Judah will be in the NBA next year. Where he goes is still up in the air, but I’m sure he’s gonna surprise all you naysayers.
There have been plenty of compliments in this thread about how we are glad he’s our point guard and what he is elite at! If he was elite at everything you are saying in your post….we wouldn’t even be having this discussion because he would already be in the NBA.

He needs to stay humble and keep working hard to make it where he ultimately wants to end up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom