Mirror images of ourselves (from the past) | Syracusefan.com

Mirror images of ourselves (from the past)

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
After watching the game again last night as noted in the other thread with Anam. elsewhere I felt better about things after the depression of Saturday, and what strikes me as interesting is that what has always dogged us from getting to the next level consistently (historically now back to the 80's and 90's and early 2000's) was that we often had top flight or at least above average skill position guys but we were frequently lacking in the trenches.

What I saw on the film last night was that SU was competing and that it was at worst a push on the lines with Clemson, a top 5 team. I don't think we're as far some think from getting top 25 good again here. It may not happen this year with all the newness and transitions going on with the new players and coaches all getting settled in, but I'm encouraged after watching the film like a coach last night (slow mo, back and forth 800 times), we're trending in the right direction.

One day before I kick I just hope to see us have BOTH above average skill guys and line guys to see what can happen here once more. Barring a collapse going forward I think they need to stay the course with this staff to maximize that chance occurring.

Last edited:
After watching the game again last night as noted in the other thread with Anam. elsewhere, what strikes me as interesting is that what has always dogged us from getting to the next level consistently (historically now back to the 80's and 90's and early 2000's) was that we often had top flight skill position guys but we were frequently lacking in the trenches.

What I saw on the film last night was that SU was competing and that it was at worst a push on the lines with Clemson, a top 5 team. I don't think we're as far some think from getting top 25 good again here. It may not happen this year with all the newness and transitions going on with the new players and coaches all getting settled in, but I'm encouraged after watching the film like a coach last night (slow mo, back and forth 800 times), we're trending in the right direction.

One day before I kick I just hope to see us have BOTH above average skill guys and line guys to see what can happen here once more. Barring a collapse going forward I think they need to stay the course with this staff to maximize that chance occurring.
Good thoughts. I think if we want better skill guys we need to play a way that the good skill guys want to play. We're a little behind the curve on this compared to the rest of college football, since last season we just barely figured out the wonders of playing fast, and this season we're really starting to adopt a lot of 3 wide formations. I think we're on the right track, it will just take a little bit of time for us to establish ourselves.

I was always amazed how BC was able to fill out really solid offensive lines back in the day. Considering at we as a program were better than them, I could never figure out how they continued to recruit, and get, these OL guys that we were missing out on. If we can do that, it will go a long way toward pushing us up the ladder. Perhaps having HCDM here, as a former OL guy helped. And now with landing Pugh with the Giants, maybe we can carve out a position as a OL school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom