Missed opportunity: 2001 at Tennessee | Syracusefan.com

Missed opportunity: 2001 at Tennessee

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
So have some random college sports app on my bluray player that has random college games you can watch for free. Just spent the last 2.5 hours watching the syracuse at Tennessee game in 2001.

What an odd game of horrible drops and mistakes by both sides in a game full of future NFL players. Dwight Freeney, Josh Thomas, David Tyree, James Mungro, Donte Stallworth, Jason Witten, and others I may have missed.

Game started with a Willie Ford burn job and 7 points for Tennessee. Our receivers must have dropped 15 passes at least. Most were catchable balls. We had a Nick Romeo center snap that went 30 yards behind Troy Nunes. A tight end throw back for a 2pt conversion (called back by penalty). RJ Anderson had to come in to relieve Nunes and threw a TD to Johnny Morant.

We had 3 bad turnovers, all in places where we could either get the score really close or completely change momentum.

Hard to believe that team came back to win 10 games. Could have been 11 as this game was totally winnable.

On a side note (I.e. the "feeling old" alert), it's amazing how old this game looks, and yet it came after I had already graduated. I'm also pretty sure that marching out a 185 lb qb in 2013 would get a coaches head examined (not to take anything away from Nunes, who performed admirably given his size).

Also, I miss Thump Belton. Definitely on the all SU awesome name team.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

So have some random college sports app on my bluray player that has random college games you can watch for free. Just spent the last 2.5 hours watching the syracuse at Tennessee game in 2001.

What an odd game of horrible drops and mistakes by both sides in a game full of future NFL players. Dwight Freeney, Josh Thomas, David Tyree, James Mungro, Donte Stallworth, Jason Witten, and others I may have missed.

Game started with a Willie Ford burn job and 7 points for Tennessee. Our receivers must have dropped 15 passes at least. Most were catchable balls. We had a Nick Romeo center snap that went 30 yards behind Troy Nunes. A tight end throw back for a 2pt conversion (called back by penalty). RJ Anderson had to come in to relieve Nunes and threw a TD to Johnny Morant.

We had 3 bad turnovers, all in places where we could either get the score really close or completely change momentum.

Hard to believe that team came back to win 10 games. Could have been 11 as this game was totally winnable.

On a side note (I.e. the "feeling old" alert), it's amazing how old this game looks, and yet it came after I had already graduated. I'm also pretty sure that marching out a 185 lb qb in 2013 would get a coaches head examined (not to take anything away from Nunes, who performed admirably given his size).

Also, I miss Thump Belton. Definitely on the all SU awesome name team.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

What's funny is that we're still witnessing and complaining about the same on-field blunders as we were 12 years ago. The more things change...

It's amazing just how good Dwight Freeney was that he could carry that team. He singlehandedly took them bowling and saved Coach P's job.

What's funny is that we're still witnessing and complaining about the same on-field blunders as we were 12 years ago. The more things change...

It's amazing just how good Dwight Freeney was that he could carry that team. He singlehandedly took them bowling and saved Coach P's job.

That team was out-gained on the season but was +15 in turnovers because of Freeney and went 10-3.

I remember Mike Golic calling the game for ESPN and basically making fun or our lack of discipline/penalties. It got bad there for a bit if I remember right.

I remember Mike Golic calling the game for ESPN and basically making fun or our lack of discipline/penalties. It got bad there for a bit if I remember right.
Dave Barnett, Bill Curry, Mike Golic called that game on ESPN2. They killed us for how unprepared we were for Neyland Stadium. That team had a good record after that game and were undefeated after starting 0-2 until this game.

After this Miami game I felt like Ron Bungurdy after the fight with all the other news teams.

Dave Barnett, Bill Curry, Mike Golic called that game on ESPN2. They killed us for how unprepared we were for Neyland Stadium. That team had a good record after that game and were undefeated after starting 0-2 until this game.

After this Miami game I felt like Ron Bungurdy after the fight with all the other news teams.

They did the samething to Nebraska in the National Championship game.

That UM team might have been the best team in the last 50 years.

There are many things I'll never forget about that incredible trip to Knoxville. One of them is Casey Claussen's audible on that first play at the line of scrimmage, looked to his WR to the right who had Willie Ford playing up close. Basically motioned him to go deep. I said "deep pass, sees Ford tight, safeties cheating in for the run, easy call". Sure enough. It was so obvious. Then the eruption of noise and the smell of whiskey was almost unbearable.

They did the samething to Nebraska in the National Championship game.

That UM team might have been the best team in the last 50 years.

That was a great Miami team. They beat:

Rutgers by 61
Syracuse by 59
Washington by 58
West Virginia by 42
Temple by 38
Troy State by 31
Penn State by 26
Nebraska by 23
Pittsburgh and Florida State by 22
Boston College by 11
Virginia Tech by 2
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Miami(Florida).htm

Still, we'd won 8 in a row going into that game and it was on national TV for the conference title and I think maybe we could have done a lot better than to lose by 59 points.

Last edited:

Rutgers by 61
Syracuse by 59
Washington by 58
West Virginia by 42
Temple by 38
Troy State by 31
Penn State by 26
Nebraska by 23
Boston College by 11
Virginia Tech by 2

Still, we'd won 8 in a row going into that game and it was on national TV for the conference title and I think maybe we could have done a lot better than to lose by 59 points.

SWC I was at that game and it seemed like a pro team (Miami) vs a college team (cuse).
Turns out Miami had nineteen (19) first round draft picks on their roster that year spread out among their various classes.

I know you like to do research. I can't imagine it has happen before or since.

I was at that game as well. What a great year, beat Vtech on the road and blew out Auburn at home after 9/11, too bad we ended up in the lousy insight bowl with a 9-3 record, I think we got passed over for a better bowl because of butts in the seats.

They kept playing the Nelly song that went "What does it take to be #1".

And then there was that damn Ibis trotting out to midfield after each TD.....

That Orange Bowl was ghetto too.

Nebraska backed into the title game after getting blown out by Colorado in the final reg. season game. Then 2 or 3 other teams lost right after that allowed Nebraska in.

Nebraska backed into the title game after getting blown out by Colorado in the final reg. season game. Then 2 or 3 other teams lost right after that allowed Nebraska in.
Yup. Tennessee lost to LSU and Texas lost to Colorado in their respective championship games.

That season turned around when RJ Anderson entered the UCF game. He started the rest of the season. His low risk-low reward style was perfect for a team with a great defense. It's funny that the next season was the opposite. After the Auburn game it was clear that the team needed a play-making QB to make up for the poor defense. I still think that team could have gone to a bowl if Pasqualoni made the switch back to Nunes sooner. At the very least, they would have won the Temple game.

That season turned around when RJ Anderson entered the UCF game. He started the rest of the season. His low risk-low reward style was perfect for a team with a great defense. It's funny that the next season was the opposite. After the Auburn game it was clear that the team needed a play-making QB to make up for the poor defense. I still think that team could have gone to a bowl if Pasqualoni made the switch back to Nunes sooner. At the very least, they would have won the Temple game.

Hunt's second quarter meltdown reminded me of Anderson vs. Auburn, when we got off to the 17-0 lead in their place and seemed prime to one of our great wins. Then RJ kept passing the ball to the other team and we lost in OT 34-37. :mad:

The 2001 Miami game still drives me crazy. The team was overmatched either way, but it should have been a chance for Freeney to showcase his talents on national tv against a championship quality opponent. Instead, McKinnie was allowed to hold Freeney all game. I am glad Freeney owned him in their NFL match-ups.

The 2001 Miami game still drives me crazy. The team was overmatched either way, but it should have been a chance for Freeney to showcase his talents on national tv against a championship quality opponent. Instead, McKinnie was allowed to hold Freeney all game. I am glad Freeney owned him in their NFL match-ups.

Freeney was held all season. After every play he's have to have his shoulder pads moved back into place. If the refs had called it, he would have set every record for sacks, tackles for a loss and turnovers force. They never would have been touched.

Last edited:
Ragman-
I have great memories of that game. I was on the sideline for the prepayment and first half. My buddies dad was an asst ad at UT and got us down there. Loudest place I've ever been when UT runs through the band at the start of the game. I was standing next to Michele tafoya who was the sideline reporter. On the first play, the receiver caught the ball directly in front of me. The next issue of sports illustrated had a picture of that catch in a full page foldout and they cut me off by about 2 yards! My chance for fame in SI was ruined.
Thanks for the tri pdown memory lane.
Florange44

Rutgers by 61
Syracuse by 59
Washington by 58
West Virginia by 42
Temple by 38
Troy State by 31
Penn State by 26
Nebraska by 23
Boston College by 11
Virginia Tech by 2

College Gameday was at that Miami game, wasn't it?

College Gameday was at that Miami game, wasn't it?
Yes it was, that was one of the two Gamedays where SU was the visiting team on. The other was on the one where Corso put on the big bird Hokie hat against Virginia Tech.