Mizzou player arrested for DWI | Syracusefan.com

Mizzou player arrested for DWI

According to the Missouri student-athlete handbook, "consequences for driving under the influence" are a minimum one-week suspension for a first offense”
Correct. You think UNC would suspend him? MSU? Arizona? Those schools would figure out a way to clear him of any wrongdoing. “We conducted an internal investigation and while he was arrested on suspicion, he was under the legal limit.”

If no one got hurt.
Let him play make him do community service as everyone will forget about this in a week outside of Missouri.

If he hurt someone he should be dismissed.

If no one got hurt.
Let him play make him do community service as everyone will forget about this in a week outside of Missouri.

Agreed. Thankfully no one got hurt. He wasn’t staying in his lane and the cops pulled him over. Another school would probably say he wasn’t even drinking, he was just tired.

If convicted, some community service and first 2 games of next season (if he’s still there).

If no one got hurt.

That's not the point glad no one got hurt but s dwu is serious needs to learn a lesson.

Correct. You think UNC would suspend him? MSU? Arizona? Those schools would figure out a way to clear him of any wrongdoing. “We conducted an internal investigation and while he was arrested on suspicion, he was under the legal limit.”
I doubt unc even has a student athlete handbook

That's not the point glad no one got hurt but s dwu is serious needs to learn a lesson.
Agreed. I just don’t think it needs to happen right now, not after considering how other schools handle situations like this.

Martin will probably suspend him for the first round game.

Agreed. Thankfully no one got hurt. He wasn’t staying in his lane and the cops pulled him over. Another school would probably say he wasn’t even drinking, he was just tired.

Being tired has shown to cause as bad or worse impairment than a couple of beers, but it isn't as easy to demonize/measure for profit, or they would.

Like Tuttle said, as things stand the easy answer is to let him serve his suspension if he's convicted. Of course, wasnt there some SU walk on accused of being a racist that was basically convicted in the court of opinion and booted from the team a season or so ago before anything official, as soon as the chick accused him?

Being tired has shown to cause as bad or worse impairment than a couple of beers, but it isn't as easy to demonize/measure for profit, or they would.

Like Tuttle said, as things stand the easy answer is to let him serve his suspension if he's convicted. Of course, wasnt there some SU walk on accused of being a racist that was basically convicted in the court of opinion and booted from the team a season or so ago before anything official, as soon as the chick accused him?

Believe she dropped an N bomb on video, if thats what you mean.

I think the punishment should be more severe and not dependent on whether anyone got hurt. That sends the wrong message
Should it not also depend on whether or not he is convicted.

Should it not also depend on whether or not he is convicted.

Thats a very interesting argument. I havent thought it fully through but will attempt to now. The burden of proof in our criminal system is beyond a reasonable doubt. However, in our civil system, the burden of proof is preponderance of the evidence, which means more likely than not. I assume you would agree civil penalties are less severe than criminal penalties (money v jail). Assuming that, then i would also assume that any punishment a college could hand out (suspension from play) is likely less severe than a civil judgment for money damages (in most cases). Thus, thinking this through while I write, my conclusion is that any punishment from a college should not be contingent on a criminal conviction where jail time is a possibility, so my answer to your question is unequivocally no.

What is difficult to decipher still is how should a school adjudicate such an offense? My gut reaction is that it should be done after a full investigation in front of a disciplinary board (which i believe is how these matters are handled and leaves room for corruption as the college is the both the prosecutor and adjudicator), admittedly not a specialty of a college. This should not be done haphazardly. I think a preponderance of the evidence burden of proof should be used (because what is at stake is playing a sport and not jailtime, as explained above). Therefore, unless there is compelling evidence immediately available (eg video evidence showing the student was visibly intoxicated or a failed breathalyzer), i tend to agree the student should be able to play, while the investigation continues. However, since with dwi arrests, there typically is a breathalyzer, then i feel the issue could be resolved rather easily. (If the student refused a breathalyzer, then i think a suspension is warranted until the matter can be fully adjudicated). I would be interested in more facts here, which the university should be able to obtain rather easily.

In conclusion, your premise that a criminal conviction is warranted before a suspension from play is illogical. I think your position is an uneducated one, similar to those who say more guns would solve our mass shooting problem. Overall, like most of us, myself included, i think you should read more and say less. Moreover, we, as a country, need to do more to let everyone know that drinking and driving is a terribly irresponsible thing to do. Greater punishment would help.

Last edited:
Believe she dropped an N bomb on video, if thats what you mean.

I actually should have typed "rapist", although "racist" is actually treated as worse in current society(as evidenced by your story, thoughts are worst than actions to some, also evidenced by how we reward the media slime who are infested with a culture of rape/real sexual harassment). It was a male player banned for being accused of rapism, I believe just a hoops walk on if I recall? I read about it briefly on syracuse.com, if I recall correctly.

I doubt unc even has a student athlete handbook

Are you serious...of course they have a student handbook!

They would be quick to point you to their library database, Sparknotes, and read the only line from the sacred document, "If you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying." - Junior Johnson