MLB draft strategy question: | Syracusefan.com

MLB draft strategy question:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I find the MLB draft and the slotting issues to be really interesting.
I would love to see the Orioles draft Dru Jones, but he may insist on 1-1 money, whereas they could take a lesser player , pay him less, and have more money to sign better players later in the draft.
My question is this: for a kid like Jones, could you have a trade off of take less now, but we guarantee to have you start (as an example) season 3 on the MLB roster for X days, starting the years of service clock towards free agency sooner than otherwise might happen?

I find the MLB draft and the slotting issues to be really interesting.
I would love to see the Orioles draft Dru Jones, but he may insist on 1-1 money, whereas they could take a lesser player , pay him less, and have more money to sign better players later in the draft.
My question is this: for a kid like Jones, could you have a trade off of take less now, but we guarantee to have you start (as an example) season 3 on the MLB roster for X days, starting the years of service clock towards free agency sooner than otherwise might happen?
I don’t see why it would be illegal. There is risk involved but if you want a big return on a draft, you might want to do something like that. It takes two to tango. The Jones family would have to be amenable too. Sometimes a a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I don’t see why it would be illegal. There is risk involved but if you want a big return on a draft, you might want to do something like that. It takes two to tango. The Jones family would have to be amenable too. Sometimes a a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Yeah. You could kick in a release if you didn't put him on the roster. It will be interesting where the O's go on this. Long term (HS) or shorter term (College).

Druw's dad wants him to go as high as he can and get as much as he can. Druw's mom wouldn't mind at all if he goes to Vanderbilt and revisits the draft in a couple of years. Keep in mind that Andruw never went to college and was playing CF for the Braves at 19. Druw's sister graduated from GA Tech a couple of years ago.

Druw's dad wants him to go as high as he can and get as much as he can. Druw's mom wouldn't mind at all if he goes to Vanderbilt and revisits the draft in a couple of years. Keep in mind that Andruw never went to college and was playing CF for the Braves at 19. Druw's sister graduated from GA Tech a couple of years ago.
Baseball makes it interesting because of the leverage most draftees have. I have a friend who never signed until the supplemental draft after his senior college year. (#6, I think). Kept hoping the Reds would draft him.
He tore his hamstring in rookie ball and lost his speed, which he said was his ticket to the big leagues.
Was good enough athlete to be a preferred walk in for basketball his freshman year.

Last edited:
The Orioles would be a great place for Druw to land. They have no problem elevating their players quickly. I don't know what their farm system looks like, so I don't know what the competition is like. He's got a good head on his shoulders and I'm sure that he'll do well wherever he lands.

The Orioles would be a great place for Druw to land. They have no problem elevating their players quickly. I don't know what their farm system looks like, so I don't know what the competition is like. He's got a good head on his shoulders and I'm sure that he'll do well wherever he lands.
I assume he would slot inside the top 10.

I assume he would slot inside the top 10.
I don't think you can play games like that. The league sees the contracts. Last year, in the second round, the Red Sox drafted a kid they would have loved to sign but just couldn't. I'm sure they would have played games if they could have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom