Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Ash Wednesday!

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, observed in many Western Christian denominations. It takes place forty-six days before Easter, and may take place anytime between February 4 and March 10. Depending on denomination, it is observed with religious services, a ritual with ashes, and fasting.

In ancient times, ashes were used to express grief. The sprinkling of ashes on heads takes place in numerous places in the Bible. Christians continued the tradition as a sign of repentance. Christians in Western Europe were receiving ashes on the first day of Lent by the tenth century, although not yet in the Catholic Church. In 1091, the Catholic Church joined the ritual, after Pope Urban II ordered ashes should be given in Rome. The day soon came to be called Ash Wednesday. Some denominations stopped giving out ashes after the Reformation, sometime around 1600, but still observed Ash Wednesday as the first day of Lent.

SU News

Overheard in the locker room after SU's win over UNC: 'That’s what Syracuse basketball can be' (PS; $; Axe)

Where the confidence came from to spring a major upset over No. 7 North Carolina, what JJ Starling was thinking when he threw up a prayer from way downtown and what Quadir Copeland couldn’t wait to ask Coach Autry about after the game.

Those were just a few things I overheard in the locker room following Syracuse basketball’s 86-79 win over North Carolina.

UNC Head Coach Hubert Davis

“You have to compliment Syracuse. They stepped up and big plays, made big shots, made free throws. They created turnovers that helped them down the stretch. There’s two parts there. It’s us not being able to make plays and for them to be able to step up.”

Syracuse Head Coach Adrian Autry

On SU playing its best game to spring the upset on UNC:

“This is the best game, obviously, we have played all year. Everybody that played in the game was outstanding. Judah and JJ, you come into the season with those two guys, that’s your expectation. Today they stepped up big.”

“We wanted to be patient. Take care of the basketball. Play with great spacing. Let our guards make plays.”

On the difference between Tuesday’s win and SU’s 36-point loss to UNC last month:

“We took care of the basketball. We had composure. We had some breakdowns, we kept playing. We just scored the ball. Our defense was different. We played more zone. Our defense was really good, especially towards the end.”

On what the win over the Tar Heels means to him:

“I’m excited for the school. I’m excited for the team. As we start this journey and this process to get back to where we would like to be winning games like this consistently. I’m just excited for those guys.”

Judah Mintz

On where the confidence came from to pull off the upset over UNC:

“We wouldn’t have won if we didn’t think we could win it. We’re a confident group no matter how the odds are stacked against us. We feel like we’re the team to beat. That’s the confidence we came out with every game.”

Reasons to worry about UNC basketball after loss at Syracuse (fayobserver.com; Baxley)

It’s gut-check time for UNC basketball.

Following an 86-79 loss at Syracuse on Tuesday night, the seventh-ranked Tar Heels have lost three of their last five games and opened the door for Duke (19-5, 10-3) and Virginia (19-6, 10-4) in the ACC standings.

UNC (19-6, 11-3 ACC) lost back-to-back games in December before reeling off 10 wins in a row – including six victories on the road – to take a commanding conference lead. The Tar Heels took a step back in a loss at Georgia Tech, but appeared to get back on track with a win against the Blue Devils.

Now, UNC has lost two of its last three games. With seven games remaining in the regular season, is it time to push the panic button? Here’s a look at some reasons to worry about the Tar Heels.

UNC’s defense had no answer for Syracuse’s Judah Mintz, JJ Starling

The Tar Heels won their six ACC road games by an average of 9.3 points, allowing 63.5 points on 36.5% shooting.

UNC's adjusted defensive efficiency is 15th in the nation at 94.7, according to BartTorvik.com, but that number has risen to 102.7 in the last five games. The Tar Heels had six games above 100 in the first nine, but went the next 13 below 100 before this recent stretch of struggles.

Through 25 games, UNC is 2-5 when it allows at least 80 points and 17-1 when opposing teams don’t reach 80. After a 36-point loss in Chapel Hill on Jan. 13, Syracuse (16-9, 7-7) didn’t have any trouble reaching 80 points Tuesday night in New York.

The Orange got 48 points from Judah Mintz (25) and JJ Starling (23), shot 63% from the floor and didn’t miss more than two shots in a row against the Heels.

After UNC took a 65-64 lead, Syracuse made its next four shots and used a 12-4 run that preceded a court-storming celebration at the JMA Wireless Dome. If the Tar Heels are going to end the regular season as the top team in the ACC, they have to get back to stringing together stops.

Tar Heels’ late-game situations, turnovers

Syracuse’s hot shooting might be the main story out of Tuesday’s game, but UNC didn’t provide much of a challenge down the stretch as the Tar Heels crumbled with their late-game execution.

RJ Davis gave UNC a 65-64 lead with 7:16 left, but the Tar Heels didn’t get off another shot until the final minute. Trailing by four with just under three minutes left, UNC had four turnovers in the final two minutes.

(youtube; podcast; $; Axe)

Upset! Syracuse basketball knocks off No. 7 North Carolina at the JMA Dome

3 Things | UNC Stumbles To Loss At Syracuse (youtube; podcast; Tarheel Illustrated)

3 Things | UNC Stumbles To Loss At Syracuse

Syracuse Basketball: ‘Cuse is in the lead for multiple 2025 four-star targets, per On3 (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball, currently, is in the lead for multiple 2025 four-star targets, according to On3’s recruiting prediction machine.

While that’s encouraging news, it’s likely that these high school juniors could have a way to go in their respective recruiting processes.

What’s more, as these four-star recruits go on more official or unofficial visits to other schools besides the Orange, things could change in their projections from On3’s recruiting prediction machine.

As far as I can tell, the ‘Cuse coaching staff has offered scholarships to nearly 20 prospects in the 2025 class. This is just my personal opinion, but these days, my sense is that the Orange staff is prioritizing between seven and nine players in the junior cycle.

Syracuse basketball appears to be in a good spot with some 2025 four-star targets.

Kiyan Anthony
The four-star shooting guard from New York City was offered a scholarship by the Orange in November of 2022. He took an official visit to the Hill in late October of last year.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 1, 45 percent

Nigel James
The four-star point guard from New York state, who is high school teammates with Anthony, was offered by the ‘Cuse in late August of last year. The following month, in mid-September, he officially visited Central New York.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 3, 20 percent

Derek Dixon
The four-star combo guard from Washington, D.C., took an official visit to SU in late September of 2023 after receiving an Orange offer last June.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 1, 48 percent

Matthew Gilhool
In late August of 2023, the four-star power forward/center from the Philadelphia area landed a ‘Cuse offer. In late September of last year, he took an official visit to the Orange.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 1, 61 percent

Sadiq White Jr.
The four-star forward from Charlotte, N.C., received a ‘Cuse offer in late April of 2023. In mid-September of last year, he took an unofficial visit to the Hill. White has said that he would like to officially visit the Orange as well.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 4, 14 percent

Tyler Jackson
The four-star point guard from Baltimore was offered by the Orange in late April of last year. In late January of this year, he went on an official visit to the ‘Cuse.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Syracuse basketball at No. 1, 55 percent

London Jemison
The fast-rising, four-star small forward from Connecticut picked up a ‘Cuse offer in late September of 2023. In late December of last year, he went on an official visit to the Orange.
On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: NA

MBB: 2024 Feb 13 Results (RX; HM)

MBB: 2024 Feb 13 Results

ACC Results

Pitt 74, UVA 63
The Cavaliers' seeding just took a hit. Let's hope Pitt makes up for it by getting themselves into the Big Dance!

#7 UNC 79, Syracuse 86
For those of you too young to remember, the Orange used to wins games like this on a regular basis. Can they do anything with it, though?

Louisville 77, Boston College 89
The Eagles have a losing record in ACC play, but they are still very dangerous! The Cardinals have improved, but are still far from their glory days.

Florida State 75, Virginia Tech 83
The Hokies end their losing streak and pull within one game of .500 in ACC play.

University Named a Fulbright Top Producing Institution for US Students for Second Consecutive Year (syr.edu; Rodoski)

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs has named Syracuse University a Fulbright Top Producing Institution for U.S. students. This recognition is given to the U.S. colleges and universities that received the highest number of applicants selected for the 2023-24 Fulbright U.S. Student Program cohort.

Eleven students from the University were selected for Fulbright research and teaching awards for academic year 2023-24 to the Czech Republic, France, Germany (three awards), Mexico, Oman, Poland, Spain (two awards) and Tajikistan.

“Fulbright’s Top Producing Institutions represent the diversity of America’s higher education community. Dedicated administrators support students and scholars at these institutions to fulfill their potential and rise to address tomorrow’s global challenges. We congratulate them, and all the Fulbrighters who are making an impact the world over,” says Lee Satterfield, assistant secretary of state for educational and cultural affairs.

The Fulbright competition is administered at Syracuse University by the Center for Fellowship and Scholarship Advising (CFSA). This is the fourth time—and second year in a row—the University was named a Fulbright Top Producing Institution. The University was previously recognized for the 2012-13 cohort (under campus Fulbright advisor and professor emerita Susan Wadley) and the 2019-20 and 2022-23 cohorts (under CFSA).

Twenty-six faculty and staff members from across the University served on the campus Fulbright committee for the 2023-24 cohort. The committee is convened by CFSA; members interview applicants, provide feedback and complete a campus endorsement for each applicant. “Faculty and staff investment in our Fulbright candidates is crucial; our Fulbright work is an all-campus effort,” says Jolynn Parker, director of CFSA.

Kiana Khoshnoud '23 with some of her students in a classroom in Tajikistan.

Kiana Khoshnoud ’23 with some of her students in a classroom in Tajikistan (Photo courtesy of Kiana Khoshnoud)

Students apply for Fulbright awards in the fall and awards are made in the spring. In the current competition for the 2024-25 cohort, 31 of the University’s 39 applicants have been named as semifinalists. Awards will be announced this spring.

Kiana Khoshnoud ’23 majored in public relations with a minor in environment and society at Syracuse. She is currently engaged in an English teaching assistantship in Dushanbe, the capital city of Tajikistan. She frequently travels to smaller villages outside of Dushanbe as well to work with Afghan refugee students.

She says her Fulbright experience has been life changing. “Becoming an educator has brought so much challenge and joy into my life. Tajik students are incredibly respectful, and I have been able to connect with hundreds of students,” she says. “Moreover, on the weekends, I get to pursue one of my passions, horseback riding.”

Other

M76W3YRS2NE77BOOK4VSHLQAIU.jpg

The pizza-making process at Byrne Dairy, the latest stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #6: Byrne Dairy pizza is exactly what you’d expect from a gas station (PS; $; Miller)

Convenience stores are such a huge time-saver because, well, they’re convenient. I wiped out my short to-do list in one quick visit to Byrne Dairy last Tuesday.

I filled the tank ($2.89 per gallon), replenished the windshield wiper fluid, grabbed a 12-pack of the Champagne of Beers with money left over for a mint Cookiewich to freshen my breath on the ride home. While settling up, a lightbulb in the shape of a multi-layered pizza rack went off in my noggin. I realized I could knock off another chapter in my CNY Pizza Tour while getting chores done.

The two ovens fed by stainless steel conveyor belts were churning out pizza after pizza for a growing lunch line of passersby. Like any normal pizza shop, you can go as basic as a cheese pizza or pile on up to 12 available toppings.

It’s easy to pooh-pooh gas station pizza. I mean, those lonely slices in the display case may be one step above or below frozen pizza. But the goal at each of Byrne’s 70 convenience stores throughout Upstate New York is to feed us people on the go quickly and efficiently.

Most of Byrne Dairy’s pizza sales come from by-the-slice orders. The 800-calorie breakfast combo is two slices of the egg-and-cheese-and-meat-topped pizza and a 16-ounce cup of coffee for $5.99. The lunch deal is two slices of cheese pizza and a small fountain drink for $4.99.

Rather than pick and choose a couple cheap wedges, I went for one of the hot-out-of-the-oven pizzas that were rolling to the finish line every 10 minutes.

Let’s fill ‘er up ...

Address: 6215 Thompson Road, Syracuse, and 4815 W. Seneca Turnpike.
Do they deliver: Yes, via Doordash.
What I ate: A 16-inch supreme pizza: cheese, pepperoni, sausage, onions and green peppers.
Why this pizza? The crew behind the counter last Tuesday recommended the Buffalo chicken pizza. Because I’ve launched an all-out protest against chicken wing pizza, I not-so-politely declined and settled on the supreme pizza, their collective second choice.

PPA4HT3WF5EOPJU5CB4U3YHLQI.jpg

Draft beer sales showed just a modest increase on Super Bowl Sunday this year compared to 2023, Syracuse-based BeerBoard reports. SYR

Forget the game stats. A Syracuse company has the beer stats for Super Bowl LVIII (PS; $; Cazentre)

The Kansas City Chiefs won on the field. In bars across the country, however, the winner during Super Bowl LVIII on Sunday was Michelob Ultra.

That’s according to a report compiled by BeerBoard, a Syracuse-based company that uses its technology to track and record more $1 billion worth of annual alcohol sales, and some 100,000 different products, at bars and restaurants across North America.

But much like the fumbling and bumbling start of Sunday’s game, it wasn’t always pretty at the beer taps, BeerBoard found in its annual report for on-premises sales on Super Bowl Sunday.

While Michelob Ultra was the most poured draft beer nationwide on Sunday, its sales were up just 0.7% from the previous Super Bowl. This year’s biggest improvement from last year came from Modelo Especiál, whose draft sales increase 16% from last year’s big game. And the No. 2 most-poured beer of the day, Bud Light, saw its draft sales decline 31.8% from 2023, BeerBoard reported.

And overall draft beer volumes were flat compared to last year, BeerBoard’s data shows. Total sales were up just 0.34% from the last Super Bowl. Light lagers, the leading draft style, showed a drop in volume for the second straight year, at -3.1%. Lagers and IPAs finished second and third in draft sales on Super Sunday.

Breaking out its hometown of Syracuse, BeerBoard’s data on draft sales saw an overall volume drop of 6.2%. Miller Lite, the area’s top draft beer, fell 23% from the 2023 game. But Labatt Blue Light, the Syracuse area’s No. 2 draft brand, showed an increase of 26% from the last Super Bowl.

In Las Vegas, host of this year’s game, overall draft sales were up 22% from last year, with Michelob Ultra leading the way with a whopping 59% growth rate.

Santana, Counting Crows to perform together at Syracuse amphitheater (PS; $; Herbert)

Santana and Counting Crows are teaming up for the “Oneness Tour” in 2024.

The two rock bands will perform at the Empower Federal Credit Union Amphitheater at Lakeview in Syracuse on July 24. The concert will begin at 7 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Feb. 16, at 10 a.m. through Live Nation.

Santana, led by guitar legend Carlos Santana, last performed at the Syracuse amphitheater in 2022. The band’s hits include “Smooth,” “Oye Como Va,” “Black Magic Woman,” “Evil Ways,” “Maria Maria” and “Put Your Lights On.”

This will be the second year in a row that Counting Crows perform at the Syracuse amphitheater. The Grammy-nominated pop-rock band, led by singer Adam Duritz, is known for songs like “Round Here,” “Mr. Jones,” “A Long December,” “Hangingaround,” “Colorblind,” a cover of “Big Yellow Taxi,” and the Oscar-nominated “Accidentally in Love” (from “Shrek 2″).

Santana’s 2024 tour dates with the Counting Crows include one more Upstate New York stop on July 18 at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, the site of the original Woodstock festival tha