MLB, MLBPA Agree To Single Trade Deadline, Changes To Roster Size | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MLB, MLBPA Agree To Single Trade Deadline, Changes To Roster Size

On the Effectively Wild podcast, I believe it was said that this rule would have only impacted 4.5% of relief appearances last season.

I have warmed up to the rule. This will actually require more strategy on the part of managers. I do hope something is added to the rule to deter the faking of injuries.

Av9bfl.gif

don't like it.

its Big Brother telling managers how to manage.

The rule shouldn’t apply to the playoffs. Regular season I am all for it. Managers acting like all 162 games are a game 7 is exhausting. Who the F wants to see pitching changes in the 5th inning and matchups the rest of the way? IMO baseball is being ruined by micromanaging and metrics.

The rule shouldn’t apply to the playoffs. Regular season I am all for it. Managers acting like all 162 games are a game 7 is exhausting. Who the F wants to see pitching changes in the 5th inning and matchups the rest of the way? IMO baseball is being ruined by micromanaging and metrics.
I hate the idea of different rules for the post season.

So Mike Trout is signing a 10 year 350 million extension in addition to the 2 years 70 million he had left.
So it’s 12 years 420 million with the remaining portion of the contract.

I didn’t think he would get 10 years so good job by Trout’s agent.

More experimental rules are being introduced to the Atlantic League.

Stealing first gets a tryout in Atlantic League

“Batters may try to steal first base on any pitch that was not caught in flight. It expands the traditional dropped third strike rule to all pitches, and batters can be thrown out if they try to run.

Other rules being added:
  • One foul bunt is allowed with two strikes before it becomes a strikeout.
  • Pitchers are required to step off the rubber to try a pickoff.
  • A relaxation on check swings to be more batter-friendly.”

More experimental rules are being introduced to the Atlantic League.

Stealing first gets a tryout in Atlantic League

“Batters may try to steal first base on any pitch that was not caught in flight. It expands the traditional dropped third strike rule to all pitches, and batters can be thrown out if they try to run.

Other rules being added:
  • One foul bunt is allowed with two strikes before it becomes a strikeout.
  • Pitchers are required to step off the rubber to try a pickoff.
  • A relaxation on check swings to be more batter-friendly.”
These all sound dumb.

I am open to them. I want to see how they play out.
I'm not in to them because I don't see any of them encouraging players to have greater skill, other than the stealing first one.

If you could steal first then Gary Sanchez would get moved from catcher. He misses a ton of balls and players would get on.

I'm not in to them because I don't see any of them encouraging players to have greater skill, other than the stealing first one.

stealing first would be exciting. It would mean the catcher and pitcher have to be cognizant of spiking a pitch at all times. There's also the question that arises if you get some power hitter up there and a wild pitch goes to the back stop...does the guy take off for first or "pass" to try and do something bigger?

Why are we tinkering with the game we love, the old game of baseball that has been the same for so many years? The game I grew up loving. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I still can't stand the no pitch intentional walk. I hate it.

Why are we tinkering with the game we love, the old game of baseball that has been the same for so many years? The game I grew up loving. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I still can't stand the no pitch intentional walk. I hate it.
Agree, but damn if the no pitch IW doesn’t seem minor now. This 3 batter minimum shlit is for the birds.

Stealing 1st, while stupid, could be entertaining.

The rest are minor nonsense, that won’t kill the game.

The extra foul bunt might be going to far though.

Pitch clock and robotic umpires are the only changes I would want.
The pace of play needs to be 3 hours per game.
Robotic home plate umpires would make balls and strikes completely the same and end complaining.

Robotic home plate umpires would make balls and strikes completely the same and end complaining.
Don’t you think part of the fun of baseball is the complaining and arguing with umpires. I don’t know. I always am a fan of get the call right , but I’m having a tough time with this one.

Pitch clock is fine, but I’m weary of robo umps. Would need 5-7 years in the minors 1st.

- All A leagues for 2 years.
- Then A and AA for 2
- Then add AAA and likely keep it for 2, before going live in the bigs.

It will cost Park Ave a shlit-ton.

We could just do away with them all and go eye in the sky, but those balls hit down the line need a quick call to either halt or keep the play alive.

Don’t you think part of the fun of baseball is the complaining and arguing with umpires. I don’t know. I always am a fan of get the call right , but I’m having a tough time with this one.
Pitch clock is fine, but I’m weary of robo umps. Would need 5-7 years in the minors 1st.

- Then A and AA for 2

We could just do away with them all and go eye in the sky, but those balls hit down the line need a quick call to either halt or keep the play alive.
Just have a human ump behind the catcher with an IPad connected to the robot ump using the K zone technology.
The robot is making all the calls and the human ump behind the plate is just giving out the calls from the iPad.
The human ump would make safe and out calls the plate and fair/foul calls.

The strike zone just needs to be universal and not subjective by the umpire.

- Then A and AA for 2

It won't cost them anything, except for sending a signal to the ump, which is cheap technology.. MLB and every team already has the technology and is tracking every pitch for the statistical and data purposes for years. Every TV broadcast has had the technology for years, and it has become very precise.

It won't cost them anything, except for sending a signal to the ump, which is cheap technology.. MLB and every team already has the technology and is tracking every pitch for the statistical and data purposes for years. Every TV broadcast has had the technology for years, and it has become very precise.
I’m talking for every single minor league team.

If they just go cold turkey on the home ump in the bigs to robo, well...wow...but that’s not how I’d play it or how I’d see it going down.

It will be like steroids in the minors 1st.

And if they get rid of the home ump before a pitcher hitting in the NL???...shame on them.

Baseball has a problem with the length of games.
My god this Red Sox-Dodgers game has gone 5 hours and it’s not moving.
This is sport needs to clean this up.