MLB offseason talk | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

MLB offseason talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have went with 1 game in World Series, 4 games next year.

If I were a Dodgers fan I would be a mess right now.
Wow this game shouldn’t be tied.

MLB is a fraud.

This is like Jack Dempsey fighting Rocky Marciano. the teams just keep throwing hay-makers at each other and neither gives an inch.

upload_2017-10-30_1-3-22.png

Houston sports fans have watched one of the greatest football games ever and one of the greatest baseball games ever in the same day!

upload_2017-10-30_1-46-19.png

As do those upset with Manfred’s handling of the Gurriel situation.

If I were a Dodger fan, I wouldn't want to win the series because a player got suspended for making a racial gesture. I would consider it a tainted victory.

3 hours for 5 innings.

Exactly. Great game but I wonder how many weren't able to stay up until 1 am Eastern and had to catch the highlights in the morning. I'm in the Central zone and knew I'd never make it about 10 pm.

MLB created an even more juiced ball for the World Series. It's exciting but it diminishes some records.

MLB created an even more juiced ball for the World Series. It's exciting but it diminishes some records.
My friend keeps saying this exact same thing. I figure it's ok as long as both teams are playing with the same ball.

Commentators are quick to call last night's game the best, but give me Morris v Smoltz.

My friend keeps saying this exact same thing. I figure it's ok as long as both teams are playing with the same ball.

Commentators are quick to call last night's game the best, but give me Morris v Smoltz.

I'm a diehard Braves fan. Even though we lost, I'll take Morris vs Smoltz in a heartbeat over last night. Last night was exciting but it took forever! I'd be surprised if that many people in Central or Eastern zones could make it to the end.

I'm a diehard Braves fan. Even though we lost, I'll take Morris vs Smoltz in a heartbeat over last night. Last night was exciting but it took forever! I'd be surprised if that many people in Central or Eastern zones could make it to the end.

It helps to be retired. Went to bed at 2AM, woke up at 10AM. Capped it off with an afternoon nap.

It helps to be retired. Went to bed at 2AM, woke up at 10AM. Capped it off with an afternoon nap.

"only" 15-20 more years for me :)

It's really not necessarily fair because they are using the same abnormal ball. Pitchers may be more or less effected by differences in seam height / ball slickness based on their repertoire. Moreover, the difference in the ball could have an equalizing effect on pitches. Someone with a devastating slider or curve (like Kershaw) might be more hindered than someone who throws more cutters or 4 seamers.

Im not saying the ball is even different or abnormal. Just making the argument that just because they are using the same ball, if it IS abnormal, does not necessarily mean its "fair".

It's really not necessarily fair because they are using the same abnormal ball. Pitchers may be more or less effected by differences in seam height / ball slickness based on their repertoire. Moreover, the difference in the ball could have an equalizing effect on pitches. Someone with a devastating slider or curve (like Kershaw) might be more hindered than someone who throws more cutters or 4 seamers.

Im not saying the ball is even different or abnormal. Just making the argument that just because they are using the same ball, if it IS abnormal, does not necessarily mean its "fair".
Agree. If it is the same ball and the ball is abnormal in such a way that it tilts the advantage away from the pitcher and toward the hitter, then it is the pitching/defensive team strengths away in favor of the hitting/offensive team.

And it's not just the ball. In Sunday night's game, the umpire was not giving the corners to the pitchers. It was a very hitter-friendly strike zone.

Agree. If it is the same ball and the ball is abnormal in such a way that it tilts the advantage away from the pitcher and toward the hitter, then it is the pitching/defensive team strengths away in favor of the hitting/offensive team.

And it's not just the ball. In Sunday night's game, the umpire was not giving the corners to the pitchers. It was a very hitter-friendly strike zone.

I guess the flipside of that is that the ball from the regular season tilted the advantage toward the pitching team. One isn't inherently better than the other. (though i get the point of playing all year with one ball and then switching it out is a little unfair)

That said, I don't like seeing a lot of 13-12 games.

I guess the flipside of that is that the ball from the regular season tilted the advantage toward the pitching team. One isn't inherently better than the other. (though i get the point of playing all year with one ball and then switching it out is a little unfair)

That said, I don't like seeing a lot of 13-12 games.
Except that Houston's offense was historically great with the regular season ball. The WS ball has enhanced the advantage they brought to the series and diminished the Dodger's advantage.

This is not a complaint; the Astros are winning fair and square. I just think changing the ball like that is a very strange choice by MLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom