"Moments" of the Year | Syracusefan.com

"Moments" of the Year

PoppyHart

All American
I'd like to compile a list of the singular "moment" that defined each season over the JB era. The idea is not to find the spectacular (i.e. Jonny Flynn dunk @ Rutgers, Hughes' 80 footer @ Duke, etc..), but rather the single play, moment or event that most altered or impacted the course of the season.

In thinking about it, I believe many of these are traditional plays, like a game winning shot, but other seasons may have turned on a lineup change, a lucky draw in the tournament, a lucky shot by an opponent, etc... Also, in some cases I think most fans readily understood the gravity of the moment, whereas in other years it was only apparent weeks (or months) later.

Here are a couple to get it rolling:

2004-05: The crazy 3PG by TJ Sorrentine late in OT to extend lead to 4. (There were a few memorable events in this game, like Roberts' technical, but that play was a huge dagger. Escape with a win, and that team had the leadership to make a run)

2007-08: Devendorf's ACL injury (w/out the injury I believe we are easily an NCAAT team)

2017-18: Brissette's block on Marcquise Reed in regular season finale vs. Clemson (OB's block prevented Clemson from tying the game with 4 seconds remaining. Without that win, we end the regular season on 4 game losing streak and almost sure miss the NCAAT. I chose this over the last second 40-footer that narrowly missed b/c that was more of a Hail Mary, whereas the lay-up by Reed was a gimme if OB was not there).

I have several others in mind, but would be interested to let others chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom