Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

Recruiting

-240d1d10970fd438.jpg

Syracuse Gets Commitment From Class of 2015 Big Man Moustapha Diagne (PS; Waters)

Moustapha Diagne, a highly-rated prospect in the Class of 2015, announced Saturday that he would attend Syracuse University.
Diagne made his announcement after playing in the Mary Kline Classic at West Orange (N.J.) High School.
"I feel comfortable with Syracuse,'' Diagne said. "They've got a good basketball program. It's a good school and they've got a good basketball program. I can get a good education.''

Diagne, a native of Senegal, had drawn scholarship offers from Kansas, Florida, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Villanova, West Virginia and many other schools, but he had recently trimmed his final list to Syracuse and Memphis.

"Today was the best day for me to decide,'' Diagne said, adding that he had made up his mind about two weeks ago. "It was a long process.''

Top 30 Recruit Moutstapha Diagne Commits to Syracuse (cbssports.com; Borzello)

How he fits at Syracuse: The first thing that stands out about Diagne is his build and strength. His upper body enables him to play effectively around the rim, whether it's finishing in the paint or grabbing rebounds – especially on the offensive end. Diagne has good athleticism, and doesn't shy away from contact when going up. He has a good motor and has a developing back-to-the-basket game. He should be able to help at Syracuse immediately due to his physical tools and ability to rebound at both ends. The Orange haven't relied on their big men to be go-to offensive weapons the past few years, but Diagne can finish on dump-offs and on offensive rebounds. Rakeem Christmas will be leaving after next season, leaving inconsistent and oft-injured DaJuan Coleman to lead the way up front, along with Tyler Roberson and Chinoso Obokoh – two rising sophomores who haven't proven much thus far. The wild card is incoming freshman Chris McCullough, who has the ceiling to be a one-and-done – if he lives up to his potential.
What it means for Syracuse's class: Syracuse has the top class for 2015 right now, already landing four players ranked in the top 75, including five-star wing Malachi Richardson and four-star prospects Diagne, Tyler Lydon and Franklin Howard. The Orange continue to be one of the strongest forces in recruiting the East coast and Northeast area, and have essentially done all their work for 2015. Diagne is a physical force in the post; Lydon is another versatile forward who can stretch a defense with his ability to step out and make shots; Howard is a good athlete who can score, but has been recovering from a knee injury; and Richardson is one of the better scorers in the rising senior class. Jim Boeheim has done a tremendous job with this class so far, and there aren't many holes remaining to fill. Based on my count, they have no scholarships remaining – but they still have some targets, namely Derrick Jones and Thomas Bryant.

SU News

-1dfca45676967dad.jpg

After Officially Qualifying to Play at Syracuse, Chris McCullough Anxious to Get on Campus (PS; Waters)

Chris McCullough played most of the Mary Kline Classic senior game with a smile on his face.
The 6-foot-10 forward didn't play all that well, hitting a 3-pointer and scoring the occasional fast-break bucket, but the fact that he was playing at all meant the most to him.
McCullough learned this past week that he had
earned a qualifying score on the ACT. The score means McCullough will be able to enroll at Syracuse University for the 2014-15 academic year.
"I was anxious to get my score back,'' McCullough said. "I knew I did good on it. My mom and everybody were telling me I should do good on it because I studied for it.

15094596-mmmain.jpg

Moustapha Diagne is Comfortable Handing the Rock

SU Recruits Diagne and Howard Face Off in Mary Kline Classic (PS; Waters)

Midway through the second half of the Mary Kline Classic's underclassmen game here at West Orange High School on Saturday, Moustapha Diagne picked up Frank Howard on the defensive end of the court.
Diagne got into his defensive stance, clapped his hands and said something to Howard. Both players smiled.
"We were having fun,'' Diagne said after the game.
The two players saw a lot of each other, spending most of the game defending the other. In a little over a year, Diagne and Howard will be teammates at Syracuse University.
Howard, a 6-foot-5 guard from Paul VI High School in Fairfax, Va.,
committed to Syracuselast month. Diagneannounced his decision to attend Syracuseafter the Mary Kline Classic's underclasssmen game on Saturday.

SU Basketball Named One of 12 Programs Primed for Decline by Athlon Sports (PS; Carlson)

The website recently published a list of 12 teams on the decline for next season and Syracuse wound up the poster child, with Jim Boeheim's photo flashed beneath the story's headline.
"Syracuse won't be as good as it was at the start of last season and may not be as bad as it was late," Athlon reporter David Fox wrote. "Still, the middle ground between the two would qualify as a down year for the Orange."

Former Players

15079587-mmmain.jpg

Brandon Triche Plays for Italian Pro Championship (PS; Ditota)

Brandon Triche won a New York state championshipat Jamesville-DeWitt High School. His Syracuse basketball team advanced to the Final Four his senior season. And today, his Aquila Basket professional team from Trento, Italy,will begin its quest to win the Gold League title.
In his rookie year as a pro, Triche has a chance to stamp his extraordinary season abroad with a title.
"I'm just happy and excited I've been lucky enough to compete for a championship," he said via email.
The five-game series starts at 6 p.m. today. Trento plays Capo D'Orlando, a team that finished second to Trento in the regular season. Triche describes Capo D'Orlando as "really tough." Trento has home-court advantage in the series.

Question for SU alums: how are the summer sessions structured?

For example, at my alma mater we had two separate summer "semesters" -- one lasted two weeks [in June], and then a six week session that went through August. So if you took summer courses, you took them either in the compressed June session, the lengthier session, or both.

Just curious after reading the McCullough qualifying article. Now that he's qualified, it would be in his best interest to get to SU as quickly as possible to get a few courses under his belt to lighten the load academically for next season, get used to college life, etc.

Question for SU alums: how are the summer sessions structured?

For example, at my alma mater we had two separate summer "semesters" -- one lasted two weeks [in June], and then a six week session that went through August. So if you took summer courses, you took them either in the compressed June session, the lengthier session, or both.

Just curious after reading the McCullough qualifying article. Now that he's qualified, it would be in his best interest to get to SU as quickly as possible to get a few courses under his belt to lighten the load academically for next season, get used to college life, etc.

What you described sounds similar to what SU does - an early summer session that's underway right now, followed by a second summer session that begins after the July 4th holiday.