Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

Recruiting

2a2251d66fd5d4538971738ee6ef70e3

Top NJ RB Dontae Strickland Verbals to Syracuse (PS; Bailey)
Listed at 6 feet, 180 pounds by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., the South Brunswick (Monmouth Junction, N.J.) product is rated three stars across the board and chose Syracuse over Indiana, West Virginia, Virginia and Rutgers, among others.

Strickland becomes the ninth verbal commitment in SU's Class of 2015 and third running back, joining Jordan Fredericks and Tyrone Perkins.

Rutgers Death Spiral Continues as Penn State Takes Top DB Hartfield From Hapless Knights (philly.com; Breen)

Penn State went into Rutgers territory to grab its 16th commitment of the Class of 2015 as defensive back Myles Hartsfield made an oral pledge on Sunday morning to the Nittany Lions.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder narrowed his college choices last week to Rutgers and Penn State. He attends Central Jersey's Sayreville High School, which is less than 10 miles from Rutgers' campus.

Hartsfield also had offers from Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Temple, West Virginia, and others. ranks him as a three-star recruit and the No. 10 prospect from the Class of 2015 in New Jersey. He racked up 44 tackles and four interceptions last season. As a running back, he rushed for 1,586 yards and 24 touchdowns in his junior season.

SU News

-1931fff5b45e3641.JPG

Scoff Shafer Happy to See Work Being Done on New SU IPF (PS; Carlson)

It has been 466 days since Syracuse announced it would build a new indoor football practice facility, and the school said earlier this week it has cleared the final legal hurdle and has started preparing the site for construction.

Shafer, the university's head football coach, has followed the progress of the latest facilities upgrade for his program and is happy to see progress being made. He was also asked about the new stadium proposal that circulated this past winter but said that is "outside my core."

"The way I look at it is I can't control everything, so I'm just going to control the controllables and I'm happy to see there's work being done out there. Nothing but good things. There's a lot of permits, a lot of things you have to go through when you're building a building like that. For me, I'm just happy that they're working on it and I look forward to seeing the progress just like the rest of us.

"As far as dates go, right now the only day I'm really worried about is August 29 and Villanova."

15053672-mmmain.jpg

Kelly/Shorts Stadium

Kickoff Time/TV Announced for Central Michigan Game (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse and Central Michigan will kick off at noon on Sept. 13, according to the CMU athletics website. The game will be broadcast on either ESPNU or ESPNNews.

Single-game tickets for the matchup went on sale Tuesday, and can be purchased by phone at 1-888-FIRE-UP2 (347-3872).

Adult tickets cost $22. Youth and senior tickets cost $15. There is a group package for 10 or more seats that costs $10 per ticket, and a four-pack for $65 total.

Parking at Kelly/Shorts Stadium is $10.

Syracuse to Receive $20.8 Share of ACC Revenue (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse and the 13 other full Atlantic Coast Conference members with receive $20.8 million respectively in revenue, according to ESPN.com. The payouts do not include each school's individual multimedia rights deals, according to the article.

The total revenue, $291.7 million for the 2013-14 fiscal year, is up $56.6 million from last year's 12-member conference.

That expansion — the ACC is now a 15-member conference with Notre Dame as a basketball-only school — gave the ACC an opportunity to renegotiate its television deal for more money.

Last season, each of the 12 full conference members took home $19.6 million.

15141612-mmmain.jpg

The 'Big Three' SU Recruiters (McDonald, Lester, Smith)

Why No Camps in NYC This Summer? (PS; Mink)

ACC Rule Puts Syracuses at a Competitive Disadvantage

Syracuse football will start holding on-campus, one-day camps next Friday, the first of eight camps from June 13-26.

One change is that none of the camps will be held off site. Last year Syracuse set up shop at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn and at SUNY Maritime in the Bronx, a camp attended by tight end Chris Clark and defensive end Malachi Felder. Both were offered scholarships in the 2015 recruiting class.

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why Syracuse is staying home this year.

It has to.

"It's actually an ACC rule," head coach Scott Shafer said. "There's no off-site camps for the ACC, so we're bringing everyone in here."

Indeed, under Article VIII of the ACC manual it states "football coaching staffs may not conduct, attend, or be involved with any football camps/clinics, including camps/clinics for non-prospect aged individuals, during the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sunday through Saturday) that includes days of those months off their institution's campus."

Last edited: