money for facilities | Syracusefan.com

money for facilities

upperdeck

Living Legend
we now have an ex player making many millions a year who knows exactly what facilities upgraded are needed and has complained in the past about people giving back to the program. he also knows what kind of money is needed to make stuff happen.. will he Pony up?

how much does he bleed orange?

we now have an ex player making many millions a year who knows exactly what facilities upgraded are needed and has complained in the past about people giving back to the program. he also knows what kind of money is needed to make stuff happen.. will he Pony up?

I don't think he makes enough or has the job security needed to donate a big enough nest egg to get the ball rolling.

If he lights it up in Buffalo and gets a good pay raise on his second deal, I could see him throwing us a bone (assuming we hadn't received it from someone else yet).

Or someone needs to look at getting someone in there that can actually get the job done, it's obvious whoever is responsible now for fundraising isn't getting the job done

When I win mega millions 1/3 goes to charity and 1/3 goes to SU football

I don't think he makes enough or has the job security needed to donate a big enough nest egg to get the ball rolling.

If he lights it up in Buffalo and gets a good pay raise on his second deal, I could see him throwing us a bone (assuming we hadn't received it from someone else yet).
russ brandon gets paid millions to run a team that blows while saying ontario over and over. maybe he can write a check for hiring the coach away from the school he "advises"

you guys would've laughed hard if you listened to his self congratulatory coronation last week. he knows all about winning championships from st john fisher baseball and having i mean delivering a cup of coffee for the florida marlins

DM made 5 million + at SU. he was a pro OC making decent money. His pro contract will bring in 15-20 Million over the 4 years.

he doesn't have to give millions. But to cut a check and create some good buzz after hawking for money for the last 4 years would be a pretty good and promotion for the ath Dept that is trying to get money for facilities.

he knows where the money is needed and direct access to make something happen. work with Gross to direct money towards something. it may lead to a few more ex's donating.

Or someone needs to look at getting someone in there that can actually get the job done, it's obvious whoever is responsible now for fundraising isn't getting the job done

may be a true statement. but 1 of them was marrone himself who also failed. so i don't think it has been the efforts, its' been the results.

may be a true statement. but 1 of them was marrone himself who also failed. so i don't think it has been the efforts, its' been the results.
Without seeing the behind the scenes and how the operation is run I don't think that's a fair statement. Have to be given the tools and products to be successful.

I am all for its the lack of talent, not the total lack of effort.. there is a whole list of things they could do that would help that just don't get done. If you want it done right you need to have people who care, not just people who see it has a job. Its no different than any other job. the tools to the do the job right are very minimal but they dont even do the little things right.

We've actually had former players make much much much... much more than Marrone. See McNabb and Freeney. I wouldn't expect them to throw in $20 million or anything, but hopefully they're giving back to the school that helped them get to where they are. They may be already, I have no way of knowing. Or how about guys like Bob Costas, who've made their career in sportscasting?

That may be true, but you can't force people to give their own money. I think part of the problem is that so many of the wealthy alumni have no emotional ties to the football program. Do Oregon or Oklahoma State have to beg Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens for their money or are they such huge fans that they invest in the schools they support?

I am all for its the lack of talent, not the total lack of effort.. there is a whole list of things they could do that would help that just don't get done. If you want it done right you need to have people who care, not just people who see it has a job. Its no different than any other job. the tools to the do the job right are very minimal but they dont even do the little things right.

Maybe they haven't been doing the little things at all (hyperbole, clearly). Perhaps they have focused so much of their fundraising energy on hitting a homerun donation that they have neglected those singles and doubles.

As others have suggested, maybe a "small ball" approach to fundraising is what we need.

totally agree that part is on Marrone. I recall seeing how Juli Boeheim did some work raising money for Melo Center, but the fact that the common fan doesn't even know lack of financial support is a major issue is troubling in its own right . There has been nothing creative done, and the fact that only 180k or so has been raised since August shows just how troubling this is . Do you see any drastic changes coming in the near future? And didn't you say that Gedney was doing some analysis for a different game while Syracuse was playing in te pinstripe bowl? Either way you look at it whoever is responsible is not showing results . If any of us were so underperforming at our jobs we would be replaced as well. A change needs to be made immediately. I actually saw a very well written letter on anther site written to Nancy Cantor and this point was emphasized as well . Hopefully there is something drastic done and the average fan can get educated on the subject

Maybe they haven't been doing the little things at all (hyperbole, clearly). Perhaps they have focused so much of their fundraising energy on hitting a homerun donation that they have neglected those singles and doubles.

As others have suggested, maybe a "small ball" approach to fundraising is what we need.

Don't know all the details but I tend to agree with you. But, I do not know the precise process either. There doesn't appear to be a concerted effort labeled for the IPF and the common fan/donor. Maybe the facility efforts have to be approved first? Maybe the approval for fundraising hasn't been given because we are still short on fundraising efforts for other facilities and upgrades? Maybe before it gets approved for a fundraising campaign there has to be evidence of "seed money" meaning those 1-2 people who will pony up bigger bucks than most? Maybe that is what they have focused on and been unsuccessful?

I think it may be part of the culture as well. Down here in the South, football is the center of the universe. Even for crappy schools...

Whereas up North, football is not worshipped like it is in the South...therefore your donors up North have been "raised" in the same football worship culture that Southerners have...

hare krishna! hare krishna!
honestly the constant droning on and on for money around here lately is worse than those airport weirdos.

I think it may be part of the culture as well. Down here in the South, football is the center of the universe. Even for crappy schools...

Whereas up North, football is not worshipped like it is in the South...therefore your donors up North have been "raised" in the same football worship culture that Southerners have...
Bingo!

hare krishna! hare krishna!
honestly the constant droning on and on for money around here lately is worse than those airport weirdos.

Haven't seen one of them in a long time...

Bingo!

Went to FSU games this past season and saw for the first time how much football is ingrained in thee culture down here...I have basically lived here 12+ years, so always knew football was a religion, but when I went to those FSU games I saw how much of a religion it really it is...the stadium was cathedral like and the atmosphere was almost like that of a rock concert...Just way different than the Syracuse football games I went to when I was a kid...Hell, I even got swept into the moment a couple times and did the tomahawk chop!!

I think Syracuse fans will be in for shock when they experience this at FSU and Clemson and other Southern ACC schools...the "Southern" Big East schools do not count...

Don't know all the details but I tend to agree with you. But, I do not know the precise process either. There doesn't appear to be a concerted effort labeled for the IPF and the common fan/donor. Maybe the facility efforts have to be approved first? Maybe the approval for fundraising hasn't been given because we are still short on fundraising efforts for other facilities and upgrades? Maybe before it gets approved for a fundraising campaign there has to be evidence of "seed money" meaning those 1-2 people who will pony up bigger bucks than most? Maybe that is what they have focused on and been unsuccessful?

Interesting questions

Marrone was the lead fund-raiser for the football facility... just as Boeheim was the lead fund raiser for the Melo Center.