Moore and Smith... Really enjoyed watching these kids get | Syracusefan.com

Moore and Smith... Really enjoyed watching these kids get

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
some yards, another year for Moore in the S&C program, probably less 10-15 pounds and he and Gulley could be a great tandem next year... or Smith who knows, Smith does run hard but he runs high which will leave him exposed for some big hits. Moore could be a real grinder soon, maybe even this year. I expect both to get some big carries the next few weeks

some yards, another year for Moore in the S&C program, probably less 10-15 pounds and he and Gulley could be a great tandem next year... or Smith who knows, Smith does run hard but he runs high which will leave him exposed for some big hits. Moore could be a real grinder soon, maybe even this year. I expect both to get some big carries the next few weeks

Yeah, my guess on Smith is that he ends up elsewhere. I have absolutely no information on that, just a hunch from watching him run. I think it's tough to consistently run as high as he runs and have success, let alone stay healthy. Moore looks good, but I agree, he's in desperate need of a training program. He's not only overweight he at least appears to be really soft. That said, he did look -- in limited opportunity -- like he knows how to run the football.

I am still curious as to why it took this long for each of the them to get 5 carries a game. They are different style backs than Bailey and PTG are. I don't know why, but a part of me thinks that we were holding something back for conference play. Makes no sense to me. We needed some power running and they both can give it to us in spades.

I thought Jerome Smith looked pretty good. Would love to see Smith and Moore get a combined 10-12 carries a game and just start pounding teams with our o-line...end result, Bailey will start busting some long runs and Nassib can start picking teams apart as they creep up to stop the run. Really excited about what this team could be capable of this year if they truly did turn the corner against WVU.

As far as Smith running high - that just might be how he runs and will always run. If you watch Forte of the Bears he runs very upright as well. Not comparing the 2 ability wise just technique. Last year watching him I wasn't that impressed and he has impressed me more each game he plays this year. I think Smith and AAM will be a good tandem next year and we still have Prince in the equation - I haven't been worried about the RB position and I'm still not.

I am still curious as to why it took this long for each of the them to get 5 carries a game. They are different style backs than Bailey and PTG are. I don't know why, but a part of me thinks that we were holding something back for conference play. Makes no sense to me. We needed some power running and they both can give it to us in spades.
Smith was getting a couple carries per game, but I think Moore didn't get any play early in the season because they were trying to redshirt him. But with the PTG injury, they were forced into using him.

Probably had to learn how to block and protect.

I really like The Bus.

And Jerome Smith runs hard.

I would guess it might not be the running that was keeping them off the field earlier in the season... but blocking assignments and knowing what do do when ball is not in hand. Last thing we need is Nassib calling an audible on a defensive set and he gets creamed because our back-up backs can't adjust and execute the blocking schemes properly... Maybe the coaches like their full package of understanding in the offense now?

With regard to Moore everybody wants guys to be "cut" etc some guys it just doesn't work. I agree Moore needs to lose a few pounds but he is always going to be beefy and probably have a bit of gut, I think the guy knows how to run. And I believe he is much stronger than people give him credit for even though he may not be "cut"... Thats for chicks and internet geeks...

There have been a lot of great players who may not look impressive all the time or physcially...

With regard to Moore everybody wants guys to be "cut" etc some guys it just doesn't work. I agree Moore needs to lose a few pounds but he is always going to be beefy and probably have a bit of gut, I think the guy knows how to run. And I believe he is much stronger than people give him credit for even though he may not be "cut"... Thats for chicks and internet geeks...

There have been a lot of great players who may not look impressive all the time or physcially...

This is a big change from your pre-season observation of him being "fat" and inferring he wouldn't amount to much

I was happy to see what Smith did when he had the opportunity to run through a hole. The problem has been that he's getting carries on 3rd and 1, when other teams are putting 10 in the box. He hasn't really had a chance to move in any sort of space. I was encouraged by his runs on Friday. I think Moore will be a 5ypc guy within the next 5 years. Would love to see him run like Ron Dayne (Wisconsin Ron Dayne, not NYG Ron Dayne).

I was down on Smith after some of his earlier games, so it was a pleasant surprise to see him show a little burst against WVU. Amazing what cracks of daylight from the OL will do for a guy.

Moore surprised me too, because he wasn't the fatty-boombalatty some of you made him out to be. He's no DC3, but just looking at him he can be effective hovering around that weight. Turning some of the pudge to muscle will help, for sure, but I was expecting a tub of goo, and he's not that at all.

I was down on Smith after some of his earlier games, so it was a pleasant surprise to see him show a little burst against WVU. Amazing what cracks of daylight from the OL will do for a guy.

Moore surprised me too, because he wasn't the fatty-boombalatty some of you made him out to be. He's no DC3, but just looking at him he can be effective hovering around that weight. Turning some of the pudge to muscle will help, for sure, but I was expecting a tub of goo, and he's not that at all.

Exactly, he is effective with his weight but obviously he could chisel it down a little bit. Once that happens in the next 6 - 12 months he will be a beast I think.

I don't think the kid ever looked totally out of shape... he looked like a kid with some leftover babyfat who is still growing...

Let's not forget, kid is 18 yrs. old...

I'm sure the S&C program will do wonders for him...

This is a big change from your pre-season observation of him being "fat" and inferring he wouldn't amount to much

I never said he wouldn't amount to much I said when he reported to camp he needed to lose weight, he has lost 15 pounds and probably has another 15 to go so he plays at about 235 or so. My point is the kid is never going to be "CUT" as some people like to say here.

I never said he wouldn't amount to much I said when he reported to camp he needed to lose weight, he has lost 15 pounds and probably has another 15 to go so he plays at about 235 or so. My point is the kid is never going to be "CUT" as some people like to say here.

I'm busting your chops a little bit. I agree he's never going to be cut, he is genetically what he is but I've always been okay with that and thought he would still end up being a good player. Others (maybe not you) called him fat, literally, and implied he was another example of a Marrone bust.

AAM if he stays healthy will go down as one of our better backs in the last ten years. the kid has great vision power and is really quick. He dominated HS football in a pretty darn good league. I think Rdayne is spot on for him

Would love to see him run like Ron Dayne (Wisconsin Ron Dayne, not NYG Ron Dayne).

This I hope becomes the reality for the kid. Us fans would be stoked as well. If the staff can continue to upgrade and mold this OL to be beasts, I can see this happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom