More Battle, less every other perimeter player | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More Battle, less every other perimeter player

orangenirvana said:
Roberson's and Coleman's roles as they are now are perfectly appropriate. In fact, if anything one could argue they're getting too much playing time.

Roberson averaged 9ppg/8.5rpg last year and was one of the leaders in the country in offensive rebounding which was also the 3rd best season in SU history. I have no idea what has happened this year. But we need that back as he was a monster on the boards in big games and the season ending run.

Pretty sure Sidibe is and he sounds like an upgrade.
My bad was mixing up the guard and the centers, lol. Totally agree about PG and the Green fiasco was a huge kick in the nutz that is going to come back to hurt us huge next year.

cuseguy said:
Battle is not a point guard and will never be a point guard. He was a wing in high school. The staff needs to find someone who can play the point next year.

Same as Howard in HS. At least in the 2 games I saw him play.

If he plays battle and he performs well the Syracuse beat writers and espn experts will talk him out of college real quick IMO. We have the worst beat writers in the country for baiting our players into making that jump.
I was always curious about this. So it's Mike and Donna. Damn, how did I miss this ?

Also, we were outrebounded by 13. Roberson is our best rebounder and DC is probably second.

And as much as Coleman's a matador on defense, he was working hard and seemed pretty effective in the first few minutes of the second half. Thompson was brutal, lollygagged to the corner twice on made shots and was invisible on a few of those late buckets on the block. I like what he brings to the table, but he needed a seat for a little while.

Lydon was great, but this was a funny game not to try him at the five (which isn't something I advocate for).

And as much as Coleman's a matador on defense, he was working hard and seemed pretty effective in the first few minutes of the second half. Thompson was brutal, lollygagged to the corner twice on made shots and was invisible on a few of those late buckets on the block. I like what he brings to the table, but he needed a seat for a little while.

Lydon was great, but this was a funny game not to try him at the five (which isn't something I advocate for).

Yup. Coleman had the left handed jump hook that he made and the play where he battled three Hoyas for a rebound and drew the foul on one of them. I don't think he went back in after that. And Thompson did nothing in the second half. All of his production was in the first half, and it made sense to stay with him as he was producing. But staying with him almost all second half? Just odd. Jimmy might be losing that feel.

Thompson is at least capable of blocking a shot.

That may be true but they still hurt more than they help.

As opposed to who? Thompson? He's way better at this stage than I expected, had a great up and under move, has shown a shooting touch at times. But he was 2-8 with 3 turnovers and only had 4 rebounds in 27 minutes. He hurt us more than he helped us today too. Thought he played too much given what he was doing out there, today.

As opposed to who? Thompson? He's way better at this stage than I expected, had a great up and under move, has shown a shooting touch at times. But he was 2-8 with 3 turnovers and only had 4 rebounds in 27 minutes. He hurt us more than he helped us today too. Thought he played too much given what he was doing out there, today.
Yes, they hurt the team more than Thompson. Thompson has more scoring ability in his pinky than both Coleman and Roberson. And he isn't any worse on defense than Coleman, who may be the worst defensively I've ever seen at Syracuse at the center position considering he's in his 5th year.

Yes, they hurt the team more than Thompson. Thompson has more scoring ability in his pinky than both Coleman and Roberson. And he isn't any worse on defense than Coleman, who may be the worst defensively I've ever seen at Syracuse at the center position considering he's in his 5th year.

Until he does it against a decent team, not sold on that. Roberson has put up double doubles against Duke, and throughout a final four run. He almost averaged a double double. Coleman was keeping us in the game against UConn by scoring.

Thompson has much more potential on that end and I think his offensive production will eventually blow both of there's away...in another year or two. I'd be thrilled if it's sooner. He didn't need to be out there almost that whole second half, doing next to nothing. Too many unproductive minutes for too long today, IMO.

Battle is not a point guard and will never be a point guard.

He was a wing in high school.

The staff needs to find someone who can play the point next year.

I disagree - I think you may have gold in Battle as the point. He has an extremely high basketball IQ, and I think it's worth a try because what's going on now is not working!