More evidence Pete Thamel is the most ungrateful Syracuse alum ever | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More evidence Pete Thamel is the most ungrateful Syracuse alum ever

The entire rumor mill of the sports industrial complex is fed on anonymous sources. Journalism can be a swap meet of information btw parties that don't want to chat directly.

Pete has built himself a great career. TBH, Syracuse sports are often a three ring circus more so than any other normal program. I feel like he's describing the program the way a normal person would describe it. Not sure he owes the university any favors in terms of positive coverage. Pravda like news coverage is usually more prevalent in the SEC and even when Bob Knight was at IU. He had his guys who made him look good.

I think we get swept away by his success and assume he owes the school positive coverage. If someone can point me to another Newhouse national college sports writer who is super Syracuse positive maybe I can put some perspective on it.
I agree with everything you said, but just to answer the below, Tirico goes above and beyond to praise SU. Yes, he is on BOT, but his support is over and above. The opposite of Thamel, not saying that is good or bad.

How is Syracuse a three ring circus? Honestly its pretty stable and predictable. Place isn't run by a bunch of nutjob donors and coaching and such is pretty predictable.

Agree, if you look at the national landscape, there is a lot of craziness out there.

I agree with everything you said, but just to answer the below, Tirico goes above and beyond to praise SU. Yes, he is on BOT, but his support is over and above. The opposite of Thamel, not saying that is good or bad.

Agree. That’s why in my opinion whatever they say means nothing.

The entire rumor mill of the sports industrial complex is fed on anonymous sources. Journalism can be a swap meet of information btw parties that don't want to chat directly.

Pete has built himself a great career. TBH, Syracuse sports are often a three ring circus more so than any other normal program. I feel like he's describing the program the way a normal person would describe it. Not sure he owes the university any favors in terms of positive coverage. Pravda like news coverage is usually more prevalent in the SEC and even when Bob Knight was at IU. He had his guys who made him look good.

I think we get swept away by his success and assume he owes the school positive coverage. If someone can point me to another Newhouse national college sports writer who is super Syracuse positive maybe I can put some perspective on it.
Ridiculous

I never said bad or wrong.

Is the media above criticism? Every time this topic comes up you get super defensive about it.
Media deserves more scrutiny, but people are incredibly misguided in where the scrutiny needs to lie.

Agree, if you look at the national landscape, there is a lot of craziness out there.

We're on the football board so i should amend my comments. The basketball program is a handful in terms of news coverage, often times negative (in the eyes of national media). We have navigated Bernie Fine, Jim Boeheim accidentally killing someone, Boeheim himself is a news magnet for the comments he makes, probations. I'm not saying any of these events are self evident of a circus but the school sure seems to make alot of news.

To echo what some said, I separate print reporters from Tirico, McDonough. Those guys are positive about the school for sure. it's great. I am not resentful of them doing that and Thamel not doing it. Just different cats. I'd rather them speak highly of the school as an academic institution than carry water for the athletic dept. To me those are different things.

If Thamel is helping younger writers that to me is a better example of character than speaking highly of the individual sports programs.

We're on the football board so i should amend my comments. The basketball program is a handful in terms of news coverage, often times negative (in the eyes of national media). We have navigated Bernie Fine, Jim Boeheim accidentally killing someone, Boeheim himself is a news magnet for the comments he makes, probations. I'm not saying any of these events are self evident of a circus but the school sure seems to make alot of news.

To echo what some said, I separate print reporters from Tirico, McDonough. Those guys are positive about the school for sure. it's great. I am not resentful of them doing that and Thamel not doing it. Just different cats. I'd rather them speak highly of the school as an academic institution than carry water for the athletic dept. To me those are different things.

If Thamel is helping younger writers that to me is a better example of character than speaking highly of the individual sports programs.

You can find this sht at other places, but the media(sometimes purposely) looks the other way.

Media deserves more scrutiny, but people are incredibly misguided in where the scrutiny needs to lie.

Are they? They pick their battles IMO based on where their bread is buttered.

Are they? They pick their battles IMO based on where their bread is buttered.
Talking only about sports at the moment - you mean taking things personally that aren't actually personal? Yes.

Thamel mollests collies.

But he does get scoops before anyone else.

Knowing Pete personally, I can tell you he does not purposely go out of his way to disparage our alma mater. I will say that he does pick at some low hanging fruit from time to time. I do think the fact that he isn't a public Syracuse homer like Tirico, McDonough, et al leaves him open to more scrutiny by fans. But I can say, without a doubt, Pete Thamel wants Syracuse to succeed.

Knowing Pete personally, I can tell you he does not purposely go out of his way to disparage our alma mater. I will say that he does pick at some low hanging fruit from time to time. I do think the fact that he isn't a public Syracuse homer like Tirico, McDonough, et al leaves him open to more scrutiny by fans. But I can say, without a doubt, Pete Thamel wants Syracuse to succeed.

For a lot of people anything less than Sean McDonough-caliber homerism is grounds for a paddlin’.

For a lot of people anything less than Sean McDonough-caliber homerism is grounds for a paddlin’.
I would venture to guess that the PS going the Thamel way of journalism has contributed to the lack of access to the programs.

I think there’s a happy medium, you don’t have to be Uber homer but you don’t have to be TMZ either trying to manufacture drama stories for clicks.

I never said bad or wrong.

Is the media above criticism? Every time this topic comes up you get super defensive about it.
To be fair, you are the one that said 1. he used more unnamed sources ( he doesn't) and that you didn't know whether it was good or bad. That is easy. without unnamed sources, we wouldn't get half maybe less, of the news stories we get. Some people just can't go on the record for any number of reasons. That doesn't mean they are lying. And if they are, that journalist will find himself on the outside looking in very quickly.

I would venture to guess that the PS going the Thamel way of journalism has contributed to the lack of access to the programs.

I think there’s a happy medium, you don’t have to be Uber homer but you don’t have to be TMZ either trying to manufacture drama stories for clicks.
If the Thamel way of journalism is honest journalism, good for them. We have a sports information dept at Syracuse. They can issue all of the good Syracuse news you could ever imagine. it's not the job of the local press to be a P.R. branch for the school. We get too much of that in our society as it it. As for the tmz and trying to manufacture clicks, and sadly, that is happening, that isn't acceptable either.

Okay, Pete.

But in all seriousness. He’s a good writer and I think he tries to toe the line between being objective and an alum. It has to be tough to navigate.

If the Thamel way of journalism is honest journalism, good for them. We have a sports information dept at Syracuse. They can issue all of the good Syracuse news you could ever imagine. it's not the job of the local press to be a P.R. branch for the school. We get too much of that in our society as it it. As for the tmz and trying to manufacture clicks, and sadly, that is happening, that isn't acceptable either.

I'm specifically speaking to the MIchael Cohen era post Rahme/Webb with my TMZ comment, I would define that as scorched earth journalism. The one-sided articles that the staff could not comment on even if they wanted to. I stopped paying attention to the PS after that, so not sure if they are still putting out negative or critical "stories" when they know the staff can't comment, re involving decommitted recruits for example.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom