More on Maliq..since the closing of most recent thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More on Maliq..since the closing of most recent thread

He is a good defender that has zero O game. He will be a solid piece for Duke just like he was for SU.
I disagree. He moves, the ball very well and passes above average out of the post position. That is all part of a good offensive game.

Perhaps you mean just the part of the offense where he does not have much of a scoring game/skillset, other than around the basket shots and put backs.

I disagree. He moves, the ball very well and passes above average out of the post position. That is all part of a good offensive game.

Perhaps you mean he does not have much of a scoring game/skillset, other than around the basket shots and put backs.
He became a black hole on O for SU once other teams realized he couldnt shoot or put it on the floor. go back and watch the games.

He became a black hole on O for SU once other teams realized he couldnt shoot or put it on the floor. go back and watch the games.

He was so bad that *checks notes* that Duke is paying him to be on their team.

We really showed them with the caliber of transfers we got that *checks notes again* came from Delaware (CAA), Hofstra, (CAA), Georgia St (Sun Belt), and CU.

But his O... that's right... *checks notes yet again*:

Was #1 on our team in PER, FG%, eFG%, TS%, Offensive Win Shares and Offensive BPM.

Ya, we're good.

This Is Fine GIF

We really showed them with the caliber of transfers we got that *checks notes again* came from Delaware (CAA), Hofstra, (CAA), Georgia St (Sun Belt), and CU.

Was #1 on our team in PER, FG%, eFG%, TS%, Offensive Win Shares and Offensive BPM.

Ya, we're good.

This Is Fine GIF

Duke doesn't need him to do what we need.

He'll be fine. We'll be fine.

Ya, we're good.

Maliq was so good on offense, and provided such a unique combination of efficiency / skill that I genuinely think there's a portion of the fanbase that didn't understand what they were looking at.

He also played within himself and was mistake avoidant [kind of like CJ Fair his first two years], which people mistook as having limitations. Example - saying he couldn't shoot, when in limited doses he showed that he not only could knock down jumpers, but that his range extended out to the three point line.

This would have been the year where he had the unlimited green light, and would have showed an expanded offensive game -- much like CJ did his junior year.

But the notion that he was an offensive liability -- patently false. Sometimes, people make the false attribution of "can't" instead of "doesn't."

Maliq was so good on offense, and provided such a unique combination of efficiency / skill that I genuinely think there's a portion of the fanbase that didn't understand what they were looking at.

He also played within himself and was mistake avoidant [kind of like CJ Fair his first two years], which people mistook as having limitations. Example - saying he couldn't shoot, when in limited doses he showed that he not only could knock down jumpers, but that his range extended out to the three point line.

This would have been the year where he had the unlimited green light, and would have showed an expanded offensive game -- much like CJ did his junior year.

But the notion that he was an offensive liability -- patently false. Sometimes, people make the false attribution of "can't" instead of "doesn't."

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Vast vast vast majority are saying Maliq sucks because he went to Duke, not commenting on his actual basketball skills. Certain people wait to pounce on anyone who tries to make it about him as a basketball player. Yes it is a dumb take to act like Maliq is not a seriously good player on both ends of the court and a major loss for us. Also lame as hell to seize every opportunity to heap praise on Duke and a guy who transferred to Duke, while trashing our own current team. That is bs. Duke sucks. Therefore Maliq sucks for going to Duke. It is simple math.

Maliq can ball but we have a top NBA prospect in Donnie Freeman taking that losers spot. We are not a lost cause.

Fkkkkk Maliq.

But if you don't see the abundance of value he adds to a basketball team then your opinion on anything to do with the sport belongs in the trash
I technically agree, but I also fully respect people's rights to trash a Duke player and act like he is not all that. Will certainly be rooting for his failure and hope kcsu's analysis somehow proves to be correct.

I technically agree, but I also fully respect people's rights to trash a Duke player and act like he is not all that. Will certainly be rooting for his failure and hope kcsu's analysis somehow proves to be correct.
Yes, I also hope that he fails miserably and hates every second of his experience.

Right. He's a nice guy for team with those ceiling guys to have - which, maybe, is what he wants.
Teams like that need good bench players to go against in practice.

Which is what Malick will be.

I understand the love for Maliq as he played hard and was a great team player. But to try and say that he was an offensive threat is a joke. His outside shot only got off because he was unguarded. He has no handle. His points all came off of layups, put backs and dunks. He has good vision and was a very good passer until teams started leaving him open and doubling down on other players. Maybe he blossoms and kills it on O for Duke, but I seriously doubt it. Maliq is a tweener more of a center than a forward without the size. He wasn't going to start in front of the 5 star and he can't play the 3 so his role with Cuse was going to be in a backup position for the 4 and 5. Hès a good role player. My point is that he lacks an offensive game.

I understand the love for Maliq as he played hard and was a great team player. But to try and say that he was an offensive threat is a joke. His outside shot only got off because he was unguarded. He has no handle. His points all came off of layups, put backs and dunks. He has good vision and was a very good passer until teams started leaving him open and doubling down on other players. Maybe he blossoms and kills it on O for Duke, but I seriously doubt it. Maliq is a tweener more of a center than a forward without the size. He wasn't going to start in front of the 5 star and he can't play the 3 so his role with Cuse was going to be in a backup position for the 4 and 5. Hès a good role player. My point is that he lacks an offensive game.

Maliq Brown shot 37% from three point range last year.

The notion that he couldn't shoot, couldn't hit jumpers, etc. is bunk. He COULD hit jumpers, but played within the structure of the team's offensive concept, and didn't try to do too much. That he didn't take a ton of shots:
[1] Isn't indicative of inability to shoot the ball; the data proves the opposite, in fact.
[2] Is actually a sign of another positive offensive attribute -- shot selection

"His points all came off of layups, put backs, and dunks..." Untrue, as he also hit jumpers and scored in transition, but let's just consider your claim at face value [and channeling the chants from opposing player intros]-- SO WHAT? WHO CARES?

He shot 69.8% from the field, as a guy playing major minutes -- not just some bit player who scored a high percentage on a limited number of shot attempts. Astronomically high FG% -- another indicator of his offensive prowess that flies in the face of him being "limited" offensively.

He also played all of his minutes at the 4 and 5 -- guys who generally hit a lot of "...layups, put backs, and dunks."

Add in the superlative passing, which was even more impressive considering the position he played -- and we have a well rounded offensive player who isn't nearly as limited as some like to pretend.

This reminds me of the poster who proclaimed, the doubled down for an entire year, that "...CJ Fair couldn't score outside of 10 feet." And then his junior year, CJ Fair shot 49% from three point range, and was an almost automatic jump shooter from 16 feet and in. Oops.

Maliq Brown shot 37% from three point range last year.

The notion that he couldn't shoot, couldn't hit jumpers, etc. is bunk. He COULD hit jumpers, but played within the structure of the team's offensive concept, and didn't try to do too much. That he didn't take a ton of shots:
[1] Isn't indicative of inability to shoot the ball; the data proves the opposite, in fact.
[2] Is actually a sign of another positive offensive attribute -- shot selection

"His points all came off of layups, put backs, and dunks..." Untrue, as he also hit jumpers and scored in transition, but let's just consider your claim at face value [and channeling the chants from opposing player intros]-- SO WHAT? WHO CARES?

He shot 69.8% from the field, as a guy playing major minutes -- not just some bit player who scored a high percentage on a limited number of shot attempts. Astronomically high FG% -- another indicator of his offensive prowess that flies in the face of him being "limited" offensively.

He also played all of his minutes at the 4 and 5 -- guys who generally hit a lot of "...layups, put backs, and dunks."

Add in the superlative passing, which was even more impressive considering the position he played -- and we have a well rounded offensive player who isn't nearly as limited as some like to pretend.

This reminds me of the poster who proclaimed, the doubled down for an entire year, that "...CJ Fair couldn't score outside of 10 feet." And then his junior year, CJ Fair shot 49% from three point range, and was an almost automatic jump shooter from 16 feet and in. Oops.
Maliq Brown has taken about half a 3 pt shot per game for his entire career. He has made 7 total three point shots in his entire career. Again he is a good player but he isnt an offensive threat beyond 5 feet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom