More to come... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More to come...

6'-6"/7" with 4.4 speed that's an offer as an ATH even if he is a project. If he has stone hands at WR you could switch him to CB turn him into a shutdown corner with that much size, speed and (not to give you flashbacks of basketball broadcasts) LENGTH and WINGSPAN. :). Many teams in the ACC have one tall receiver that will present a challenge very few have two, you put a 6'6" guy on their 6'5" WR it totally eliminates his jump ball advantage which many of those tall receivers and their associated QB's rely on against a pressure defense like ours. Special teams off the edge to block field goals and punts perhaps? If he turns out to be a reliable WR at that size even better.
Maybe they would take a flyer on him without a workout if he was a HS senior but he's going to be a Junior with 3 to play 2. The coaches have stated they only recruit jucos that they think can start.

I don't think I've ever seen a 6'7" CB, and there's probably a reason why.

Haha yeah 4.4 speed is great, but I'd have to imagine a guy that tall is not gonna be able to cut as quickly or be nearly as agile as a 5'9"-6'1" guy.

Thanks for the report DC always look forward to them.

Is this kid a 2013 or 2014?
What's the story and why haven't we offered?
6'6/6'7 wide receiver with 4.40 speed, no brainier-sign him!
Feeling th CUSE swag...

I believe Daoust and Moore were going to be working him out sometime this week before deciding whether to offer or not

Thanks for the feedback. Hope it was worth the wait :)

I added some more from when you saw it as I lost some when first posted.

Thanks DC, that was great.

Moskal is pretty buff. Wonder if the shorter height is holding the offers back

I will post later on recruits seen at the Spring Game, but two quick predictions and a few quick hitters...

IF we get any commits out of this weekend, I will say they could very well be:
1) Zaire Franklin
or
2) Colton Moskal

Zaire Franklin and Colton Moskal: those are two really busy highlight reels -- Zaire forcing fumbles left and right, running back a pick-6, Colton rushing the passer, then making the tackle downfield, blocking kicks. Both guys seem to make a lot happen. Watching them play in the dome would be more fun than a chubby pair of West Virginia sisters and a whole bottle of Crisco.

Moskal is pretty buff. Wonder if the shorter height is holding the offers back

6'1 215 with wheels is the same size or bigger then most of our current LB's. Seems like average college olb size.

Mike 5m
Syracuse coaches visiting some of their top prospects in the coming days.

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald23 Apr
#TurnigStoneSpa feeling rejuvenated and ready to attack recruiting thanks @Coach_Shafer
Awesome.. these guys really seem to gel well. Never heard of a HC sending his coordinators to a spa... probably happens more often that I would know, but that is truly being a CEO..pamper your workhorses.

6'1 215 with wheels is the same size or bigger then most of our current LB's. Seems like average college olb size.

If you believe the listed height. People I know who saw him said he was short...6-0

I'm not saying that's bad but it would hold back offers this early from a lot of schools who are looking for bigger taller linebackers. He's a kid in my opinion who could get more attention late in the game, dec/jan

If you believe the listed height. People I know who saw him said he was short...6-0

I'm not saying that's bad but it would hold back offers this early from a lot of schools who are looking for bigger taller linebackers. He's a kid in my opinion who could get more attention late in the game, dec/jan

are you sure they weren't talking about Malagrino the other LB recruit who we haven't offered yet? I stood by both I thought Moskal was a legit 6'1, but the other kid was maybe 5'9

What did they say about Franklin? If you look in the group photo Moskal looks slightly taller than him and Franklin is listed at 6'1 everywhere.

Ok, sorry for the delay. but family and some work commitments got in the way (how dare they? ;)

First off, great to see all the SyrFan.com contingent that made it to the game again. Hopefully more lurkers/board mates will try and reach out and meet the crew at future events. Always nice getting to know the person/face behind the board handle and personality.

For the most part, good job to SU Athletics and marketing for the Spring Game. Could more have been done? Absolutely!! But to those who made it out, I think it was an entertaining and well-run event.

So nice to see recent players like Alec Lemon, Justin Pugh, Shamarko Thomas and Brandon Sharpe out and engaging with the fans. As others have said, great way to build good relations with the fans and community as a whole. Also nice to see Bruce Williams & Derrell Smith. One personal comment again on Alec. As everyone knows Alec and his family were regulars at the Fine Lot tailgates and definitely friends to SyrFan.com. Got a chance to speak briefly with Alec in the hallway and can't say enough what a class act he is and what a great representative he is for Syracuse Athletics (Sean and Ellen, you are commended for raising such a great kid!!). He wanted to say again thanks for the support that we all have given him during his time at SU. He is excited and nervous for his future. Has had a few private workouts, but no trips to visit teams as of yet. Hope he lands in a great opportunity for him!!!!!

2013 Commits:
Austin Wilson was up and brought one of his WRs, highly regarded Sam Marshall, 6'5, 185 lbs. Seems quiet and reserved, but definitely seemed like he enjoyed what he saw.

Nas Howard -- Local kid, so not surprising to see him there.

Mitch Kimble with Corey Winfield. Like Wilson with Marshall, I seemed to always see Kimble paired with Winfield. Kimble brought a lot of family with him on this visit.

Isaiah Johnson - Based solely on his twitter personality I expected a more outgoing personality. Seemed very quiet, but very polite when some fans engaged him. Big dude.

Wayne Williams with Kendall Moore. They were hanging out together and definitely a pair I would not want to get behind in the buffet line. Both of their listed sizes are not exaggerated.

Chauncey Scissum was once again here (he came to the open practice three weeks ago). I noticed him talking to Shamarko a bit and asking some questions.

Corey Cooper -- Completely missed him, but based on twitter sounds like Corey is pumped to get up here and bonded a little bit with Alec Lemon.

2013 Prospect:

Daniel Marc-Sears -- Tall, big WR from ASA college (listed as 6'6" 200lbs). Think Brandon Coleman from Rutgers. Not sure if he has an offer yet. He was accompanied by a New Rochelle assistant coach named Keith Fagan. Daniel didn't go to NRHS so not sure of the connection.

2014 Prospects:

AJ Long and KJ Williams -- Obviously these two were joined at the hip the entire time (a common thread here QBs hanging with preferred WRs), but have to love AJ. This kid is a one man recruiting machine. Not only was he showing KJ things around the dome, but he was also doing his best to meet other prospects and work on specifically Zaire Franklin, 6'1" 215 lb Linebacker prospect from Lasalle HS in Philly. Talked a little with Jarrod West's family who are very excited for next season and the opportunity that Jarrod has. They did say while it will be tough they like our chances on signing KJ. KJ is from Liberty HS where Jarrod played (in case some of you were unaware). Back to Zaire, saw him near the end on the field with Coach Lea his wife and little baby. At one point, Coach Lea had Zaire hold the baby for him (very cute moment). Looks like they have established a good relationship already.

Colton Moskol: Big LB from Ill. Listed at 6'2", 210 on . I'd peg him closer to 6-6'1", but definitely closer to 230 (big arms). Was having a ball and even had a bag from Manny's to bring home some souvenirs of the trip.

Eric Shute: Another Big kid (6'5", 265lbs) who is an OL from Glen Ellyn, IL. Likes what he sees, but not likely a decision any time soon. Seen talking with Coach Lester about where he is from in IL.

Tariq Cole - 6'6" 375 lb OL/DT from Lido Beach, NY (Long Beach HS). Arguably the biggest kid (SU football players included) on the turf post-game. No small task given that Wayne Williams was also there. Another gentle giant who seemed to be more "just taking it all in." He seemed to be there with his grandmother.

Ryan Malagrino -- LB prospect from Nottingham HS in Hamilton, NJ. Didn't see much of him, but saw this interesting article about him while doing research. Also with him was Josh Lajeunesse. Doesn't seem like a D1 kid to me, but always nice for PR to get more kids up to at least see and experience the SU football program and campus.

Tyler Cavenas -- DE out of Mahonoy City, PA. Don't have much on him.

Other under the radar types:

Hassan Rainey -- RB out of Schenectady

Malachi Newall -- From Farrell Steelers (Rob Trudo's alma mater)

Aaron Golub -- Newton HS in Mass

Other tidbits non-recruiting
  • Expect some meet and greet type of events hopefully this summer to get the staff involved with the community and meet some of the fans.
  • Still waiting on renderings for the IPF. Still expect the facility to be done "in the next year"
  • Possible alumni game (maybe 7-on-7) at future Spring Games

Thank you for the info great job!! Any word on junior days in future!!

What did they say about Franklin? If you look in the group photo Moskal looks slightly taller than him and Franklin is listed at 6'1 everywhere.

beats me but Franklin is probably around 6-1. Nobody stuck a tape measure on Moskal, he's probably 6-0 to 6-1. The picture is a bit skewed because he's in the fore front of the photo.

beats me but Franklin is probably around 6-1. Nobody stuck a tape measure on Moskal, he's probably 6-0 to 6-1. The picture is a bit skewed because he's in the fore front of the photo.
I would say these heights are prob pretty close to reality.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Maybe they would take a flyer on him without a workout if he was a HS senior but he's going to be a Junior with 3 to play 2. The coaches have stated they only recruit jucos that they think can start.
Fair enough you would only have so long to make it a successful project true.

Awesome.. these guys really seem to gel well. Never heard of a HC sending his coordinators to a spa... probably happens more often that I would know, but that is truly being a CEO..pamper your workhorses.
I think it's an outstanding idea, but some grinch will probably view it as wasting program funds.
You gotta figure our staff were uprooted and moved to Syracuse with little notice, and had to immediately hit the recruiting trail hard (which was extended well past LOI day with the signing of the evaluation of the various JC players). Then they had to transition right into spring camp. This is probably one of the few times of the year they can ease off the gas pedal, and get rejuvenated.

I think it's an outstanding idea, but some grinch will probably view it as wasting program funds.
You gotta figure our staff were uprooted and moved to Syracuse with little notice, and had to immediately hit the recruiting trail hard (which was extended well past LOI day with the signing of the evaluation of the various JC players). Then they had to transition right into spring camp. This is probably one of the few times of the year they can ease off the gas pedal, and get rejuvenated.

it's actually evaluation period, there really isn't much time to take of the pedal. The assistants are going to be all over the country. This was probably a quick pit stop, and who knows maybe HCSS sent them on his own dime?

They passed on DSM.

I'm curious about that, supposedly since we're out of room for 2013. Don't know why they'd have him visit in the first place if that was the case. I wonder if there's some one else for 2013 we don't know about yet.

Doug...doubled down on the bologna sandwiches to keep the coaches motivated.

I'm curious about that, supposedly since we're out of room for 2013. Don't know why they'd have him visit in the first place if that was the case. I wonder if there's some one else for 2013 we don't know about yet.
I agree very cloak and dagger. Maybe they wanted to float a walk on spot and he balked so they pulled away?