morris, Devante, AAM | Syracusefan.com

morris, Devante, AAM

kcsu

Living Legend
Is there any chance that we redshirt all three this year? I hope that at a minimum we can rs morris and devante although i bet that AAM would benefit as well. With Smith Ash Rene and PTG we might not need them.

Is there any chance that we redshirt all three this year? I hope that at a minimum we can rs morris and devante although i bet that AAM would benefit as well. With Smith Ash Rene and PTG we might not need them.
Not a bad idea, as long as Smith and PTG stay healthy. I don't think Broyld is really in play as a true regular TB this year though I could be wrong. If we ever have to see Rene regularly in the backfield I may have Paul Chiarra flashbacks. I'd like to see PTG become the "everydown" TB and Smith as a power back. I think thoase are the obvious roles for them.

The play of PTG [in particular] and the RB group in general thus far suggesmightts that Morris / McFarlane might not need to see the field this year.

In which case, I wouldn't be averse to redshirting both.

I think we do need them. I'm not exactly sure what Smith really brings to the table other than being a bigger guy. I like Gulley a lot more. Broyld is interesting, but he's got kind of novelty uses in the backfield. Rene, meh.

Our fans get really excited about the idea of thunder and lightning backs. One big guy to move the pile, one quicker guy to be a homerun threat. Really though, what we need are two productive backs. I think between Smith, PTG and Broyld we have 1 and 2/3 productive backs.

The runningback pipeline looks pretty solid between AAM, Morris, MacFarlane and Edwards. Let's get some of those guys on the field. Smith, PTG and Broyld really aren't overwhelming right now.

I'm not exactly sure what Smith really brings to the table other than being a bigger guy.
I like Smith out of the backfield catching passes. He seems to have really nice hands, good straight-line speed, and he's no DB's idea of a comfortable tackle in the flat.

So none of these three have been playing specials? If not, Maronne is thinking the same thing.

Are we sure Edwards is going to play running back. If Smith signs would Edwards be a better fit at middle linebacker.

Are we sure Edwards is going to play running back. If Smith signs would Edwards be a better fit at middle linebacker.
I see Edwards as a Hogue type. Could be a good college RB. May even get a shot at RB. Ultimately may end up a NFL LB. No downside either way to me.

I would like to think that we need all hands on deck, and in the future we will land more talented recruits. They can play special teams and compete for time.

Depends. If we stay injury free, maybe none of them play. But if injuries do pop up, I hope we don't play Rene over a more talented guy because we don't want to burn redshirts.

If they don't play, you decide later whether to redshirt, depending on whether or not we've recruited over them.

This board probably needs to get past the redshirt fixation. There are some dumb wastes of redshirt options in the past (Morant as a garbage time WR in 2 games) but if a guy needs to play in a meaningful moment, then he should play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree Chip. I think our running backs have played well considering the optimism at the position. I like the trio we have now. I wouldl be okay if Morris, McFarland and Moore did redshirt up to this point only because of the production Smith, Gulley and Broyld have showed. We did play competitive against the #2 team in the nation. Lets just take it one game at a time. If a redshirt needs to be used for a legitimate reason then use it. Otherwise stick with what is working.

Depends. If we stay injury free, maybe none of them play. But if injuries do pop up, I hope we don't play Rene over a more talented guy because we don't want to burn redshirts.

If they don't play, you decide later whether to redshirt, depending on whether or not we've recruited overseas them.

This board probably needs to get past the redshirt fixation. There are some dumb wastes of redshirt options in the past (Morant as a garbage time WR in 2 games) but if a guy needs to play in a meaningful moment, then he should play.

If they don't play, you decide later whether to redshirt, depending on whether or not we've recruited over them.

True, but I don't want to see an AAM style burning. If Morris plays, he damn well better play often, and start playing before there are 3 games left in the season.

Well two games in none of the 3 has played. Marrone has basically said that McFarlane is going to redshirt.

The other two look like they'll be redshirted barring injury.

I could see burning Morris' shirt getting carries in mop up duty.

Edwards is going to be a RB and he has to the tools to be a good one.

Well two games in none of the 3 has played. Marrone has basically said that McFarlane is going to redshirt.

The other two look like they'll be redshirted barring injury.

I could see burning Morris' shirt getting carries in mop up duty.

Edwards is going to be a RB and he has to the tools to be a good one.

If anyone's shirt gets burned by mop up, I would rather it be AAM.

I am completely OK with having AAM, Mac and GMIII having 3, 4 and 4 years of eligibility remaining next year. That is some quality depth for a loooooong time. :)

I think that AAM will be used this year as it is too long of a season to go with two backs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom