Most Big East Wins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most Big East Wins

Wow so in the last 42 season we have had ONE year under 19 Ws. That is crazy. 16 Ws isn't even that bad and it is our worst.

3 seasons with 30 or more wins (after post season play) and we could get there this season during the regular season if we win out.

Copied this from a post I made in January discussing the best regular season records in BE history...

UL went 16-2 in 08-09. First loss was against UConn on 2/2. They got to 8-0 before losing.
Taking only schools that finished with 2 or less regular season losses, this is what I found:
UConn 05-06 16-2 Lost their first game of the Big East schedule to Marquette.
UConn 98-99 16-2 Lost to Syracuse after going 10-0.
UConn 95-96 15-1 Lost to Georgetown after going 14-0 in conference play.
UConn 94-95 14-2 Lost to Villanova after winning their first 13 in conference play.
UConn 93-04 14-2 Lost to Syracuse after starting 8-0 in conference play.

That list only goes back to 93-94. I believe no BE schools has ever gone undefeated in regular season league play. The best record ever of the one loss teams is that 15-1 record posted by UConn in 95-96. The Huskies have a chance to keep it that way on Saturday night (assuming USF is unable to shock the world tomorrow night).

Two notes here:

Don't know where you got your records Tom, and the Big East record book (season records on pages 144-146) could be incorrect, but it shows that there was a 16 game schedule in 05-06 and UConn (along with Nova) went 14-2. Only Louisville in 08-09 has won 16 games in the post-expansion era.

Also according to the BE record book, thoe 95-96 season was 18 games. That was one of the years they broke it down into the two division of Big East 6 and Big East 7. Uconn went 17-1 in the BE6.

The only other single loss team in a full conference season was St. John's, going 15-1 in the 84-85 season. In the very first year of the conference, 79-80, there were only 7 teams and they only played each other once. Syracuse, St. John's and Georgetown all finished 5-1.

So, while there have been 5 teams to go through a season with just one loss, the first three don't really count as it was just a 6 game season. Since then, only 2 teams have done it, only 1 has done it in an 18 game season, and nobody had done it post expansion.

3 seasons with 30 or more wins (after post season play) and we could get there this season during the regular season if we win out.

I count 4:

definitely have a school record for wins and winning percentage in our sights to go along with records for longest win streak, best start through 25, 26, 27 and 28 games, and most regular season victories.

BTW, I believe the last time the school went undefeated at home was 2002-03.

The UConn highs have been higher, but the lows have been much, much lower--even since the arrival of Calhoun.

Let's be honest; with last year's title out of nowhere, UConn passed us (at least for the time being). We MUST get another title soon. We definitely need to rack up a couple more final Fours in the next few years. The difference between 1 title and 3 is a HUGE gap. We must narrow it before JB retires.

Calhoun, however, is probably in his last year. I just can't see him hanging around next year for a post season ban, and the likely loss of Drummond and Lamb and another weak recruiting class. Calhoun leaving is going to turn UConn into UMass, if they don't get the right hire. If they go with Kevin Ollie, I think they are toast as a program. They need to hire an established guy or it will be all over for them, just a matter of time.

Don't know where you got your records Tom, and the Big East record book (season records on pages 144-146) could be incorrect, but it shows that there was a 16 game schedule in 05-06 and UConn (along with Nova) went 14-2. Only Louisville in 08-09 has won 16 games in the post-expansion era.

Pomeroy agrees with this, fwiw.

Louisville winning 16 games that year was quite the accomplishment, not to mention they won the BEt, so they were 19-2 in a league with 3 1 seeds. 9 of their 19 BE wins were against Pomeroy top 25 teams. (And Gtown was 27). Not to take anything away from us, but we have 3 pomeroy top 25 wins in conference.

are you here to bask in the light of your overtime thriller against 11-15 nova, who was without there best player?

I am, no but seriously better than losing in OT or regulation. Yeesh I can't imagine how giddy you would have been if that had happened. ;)

Syracuse has by a fairly wide margin the most Big East wins all time. They are the only team that has been consistently good for the entire history of the conference.
bewins200612.jpg

What is truly remarkable about this list is the HUGE separation between the last >.500 (UConn - 22 games over) team and the first <.500 team (Cincy - 12 games under).

That really underscores how crappy the bottom of this league has been.

What is truly remarkable about this list is the HUGE separation between the last >.500 (UConn - 22 games over) team and the first <.500 team (Cincy - 12 games under).

That really underscores how crappy the bottom of this league has been.

Or how tough the upper half truly has been.

Cheers,
Neil

Wait so - UConn has the most Big East Regular Season Titles, Big East Championship Titles and the most National Titles but Syracuse is the best program in Big East history?

UConn also has the best used laptop program this side of The People's Republic of China.

And, yes, for the record, our shite don't stink.;)

The UConn highs have been higher, but the lows have been much, much lower--even since the arrival of Calhoun.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by much, much lower?

The last losing season UConn had was 1987 and UConn has only missed the NCAAs 5 times since 1990 (93, 97, 01, 07, 10) which is the same amount of times Syracuse has missed the tournament since 1990 (93, 97, 02, 07, 08).

UConn also has the best used laptop program this side of The People's Republic of China.

And, yes, for the record, our shite don't stink.;)

Laptop joke! Come on man...at least give me some APR stuff :)

How's this for a high/low:

SU is riding a wave of wins & recruiting into a stable conference. In five years, we'll be generating crowds of 30,000 and drawing national TV coverage for Duke and UNC.

UConn is going to miss the tourney this year, are banned from it next year, the coach who single handedly willed them into national prominence is probably going to retire, and they are stuck in a colossal white elephant of a conference that is likely to collapse. In five years, you will be playing in mostly empty gyms against SMU and Boise St.

Copied this from a post I made in January discussing the best regular season records in BE history...

UL went 16-2 in 08-09. First loss was against UConn on 2/2. They got to 8-0 before losing.
Taking only schools that finished with 2 or less regular season losses, this is what I found:
UConn 05-06 16-2 Lost their first game of the Big East schedule to Marquette.
UConn 98-99 16-2 Lost to Syracuse after going 10-0.
UConn 95-96 15-1 Lost to Georgetown after going 14-0 in conference play.
UConn 94-95 14-2 Lost to Villanova after winning their first 13 in conference play.
UConn 93-04 14-2 Lost to Syracuse after starting 8-0 in conference play.

That list only goes back to 93-94. I believe no BE schools has ever gone undefeated in regular season league play. The best record ever of the one loss teams is that 15-1 record posted by UConn in 95-96. The Huskies have a chance to keep it that way on Saturday night (assuming USF is unable to shock the world tomorrow night).

Isn't it ironic that UConn's rise in the BE is directly tied to SU's probation years and to the one key recruit JC swiped from JB (Donyell Marshall) as a result of that probation? And isn't it even more ironic that UConn has been caught with worse offenses since and was never on probation? Different eras, I guess.

Not saying that to start a message war, it's just weird to think of the ironies. Take SU and UConn away from the BE over the last 20 years, and the basketball side looks, eh. No offense to Pitt fans. Louisville doesn't count because they are an expansion team. None of the other programs really accomplished anything of lasting consequence.

The last losing season UConn had was 1987 and UConn has only missed the NCAAs 5 times since 1990 (93, 97, 01, 07, 10) which is the same amount of times Syracuse has missed the tournament since 1990 (93, 97, 02, 07, 08).
SU has not had a losing season since 1969.

UConn's recent BE numbers have not been good--6-10 in '07; 7-11 in '10; 9-9 in '11. Plus this year isn't looking so good. Wasn't there a year recently you went to no post-season tournament at all?

And, I can get as selective about eras as you can. Rather than going back to 1990, let's try 1980. How many year's have your Huskies missed the big tournament now?

Wait so - UConn has the most Big East Regular Season Titles, Big East Championship Titles and the most National Titles but Syracuse is the best program in Big East history?
Your mom goes to UCONN.

Because from the third post in on this thread the focus has mainly been about the three teams (UConn, G'Town, and SU) legacy in the Big East. You do realize that the Huskies are an original member of the league and that their record from 78-79 through 88-89 has as much weight as what they have done since 89-90, right?

Btw, I am one of those Orange fans who believes UConn will come of out of the dark tunnel they are heading into again in about 4 years time and will come back on the scene as strong as ever. I also believe that sometime in the next decade the Huskies will join us in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom