Most emotional sports moments | Syracusefan.com

Most emotional sports moments

Vshukla

Walk On
The entertainment discussion about Brian’s Song made me think about sports evoking emotion.

What is the most emotional sports moment for you that does not involve winning (tears of joy) or losing (tears of sadness)?. Rather something that happened that hit you in the heart.

For me is has to be the Mike Piazza home run after 9/11. That entire game was emotional from the opening ceremonies to Mike’s blast. When he came to bat you just knew something magical was going to happen and it did. Even now, watching video of it still makes me tear up.

Any others?

Another one for me was Tom Seaver's return to the Mets in 1983. The school bus dropped me off and I ran home to turn on Channel 9 (WOR). Seeing #41 on the mound at Shea was magical.
It didn't make up for me locking myself in the bathroom and crying on June 15, 1977 when the Mets traded the Franchise but it felt like the world was right again for a little bit.

The entertainment discussion about Brian’s Song made me think about sports evoking emotion.

What is the most emotional sports moment for you that does not involve winning (tears of joy) or losing (tears of sadness)?. Rather something that happened that hit you in the heart.

For me is has to be the Mike Piazza home run after 9/11. That entire game was emotional from the opening ceremonies to Mike’s blast. When he came to bat you just knew something magical was going to happen and it did. Even now, watching video of it still makes me tear up.

Any others?
Cal Ripken's last game, which I attended. When he took the lap around the field, just special.
Also, when he homered in the game: 1. before he broke Gehrig's record, 2. the day he tied it, and 3. the day he broke it; was pretty special.

As a tennis fan, the match that comes to my mind is the 1995 Australian Open quarterfinal between Pete Sampras and Jim Courier. Pete found out earlier that day that his beloved coach, Tim Gullickson had terminal brain cancer. In the 5th set of the match, Pete broke down hysterically crying for a good ten minutes. He regained his composure and ended up winning the match but I remember the raw emotion and humanity Sampras showed in front of thousands of people. Was a big fan of his until he retired.

Anytime Aroldis Chapman takes the mound.

Maybe that's more of a stomach thing, and not a heart thing.

Some of mine:
- Derek Redmon crossing the finish line, injured, with his dad helping him. That crushed me back when I was younger and now, being a dad, it's an order of magnitude more impactful.
- Bo Kimble hitting the lefty FT in honor of Hang Gathers.
- Dale Earnhardt dying (he was, is and always will be my favorite NASCAR driver and I will never have another favorite like the intimidator)

Cuse-related:
- McNabb's final intro for his last home game against Miami
- The Cuse/Aub football game after 9/11 was a crazy emotional event

Watching Iowa in 1993 with my dad when they were playing their first game after Chris Street was killed in a car accident and came back from 15 down in the last 3 minutes at Michigan St to force OT and then won in OT.

GIF by SB Nation

It’s not on the same level as the others, but the Yankee Stadium crowd chanting Paul O’Neill was pretty cool.

heres sort of an odd one, although its sports related.

NY Giants SuperBowl XLII Parade.

i was in HS & College for the 2 Parcells ones, so i was old enough to properly celebrate and remember them, but this one got me.

and at that point i had also been to 1 Ranger parade and 4 Yankee ones, so these things were sorta old hat. i knew how to do them, ie: when to get on the subway and head down to get a spot near a bathroom and how much booze to bring etc.

but to not belabor the point, when we were all out on Broadway...drinking, singing, throwing a football from one side of the street to the other, guys on the Soprano's were just walking around inside the ropes shaking hands and taking selfies etc...when all of a sudden from the wrong way on Broadway a roar started coming. as we all looked up going what the fluck is happening...i noticed a bus coming down, as it got closer you see Pat Hanlon standing in front in the window...holding the Lombardi. people were going nuts...and when i saw him with that, it literally took my breath away and i started to tear up.

multiple times throughout that parade i had to collect myself.

been to 1 more Giants and another Yankee parade after, but that one got me.

Miracle on Ice
Great call. The game was broadcast on delay and word had spread. Even still watching the end of the game and the celebration got your heart racing, complemented by possibly the greatest announcing moment in sports history.

heres sort of an odd one, although its sports related.

NY Giants SuperBowl XLII Parade.

i was in HS & College for the 2 Parcells ones, so i was old enough to properly celebrate and remember them, but this one got me.

and at that point i had also been to 1 Ranger parade and 4 Yankee ones, so these things were sorta old hat. i knew how to do them, ie: when to get on the subway and head down to get a spot near a bathroom and how much booze to bring etc.

but to not belabor the point, when we were all out on Broadway...drinking, singing, throwing a football from one side of the street to the other, guys on the Soprano's were just walking around inside the ropes shaking hands and taking selfies etc...when all of a sudden from the wrong way on Broadway a roar started coming. as we all looked up going what the fluck is happening...i noticed a bus coming down, as it got closer you see Pat Hanlon standing in front in the window...holding the Lombardi. people were going nuts...and when i saw him with that, it literally took my breath away and i started to tear up.

multiple times throughout that parade i had to collect myself.

been to 1 more Giants and another Yankee parade after, but that one got me.

I was at that parade as well! Always the slight chance we drunkenly high fived while enjoying the moment as I did with many a stranger.

My kid waiting to check in to his first varsity hoops game as a sophomore end of season call up in the playoffs. Might be my favorite moment ever.
I’ll also say the worst moment ever was seeing his high school hoops career come to an end in the state title game, and not being able to console him after the loss due to stupid Covid restrictions. We watched the stream in our basement.

I’ll also say the worst moment ever was seeing his high school hoops career come to an end in the state title game, and not being able to console him after the loss due to stupid Covid restrictions. We watched the stream in our basement.
That is bad. Fricken Covid. Worst was probably Thurman Munson passing away and 2nd worst was Cuse losing to Vermont. Indiana national championship game had more implications but Vermont I was there up close and personal so it was emotionally draining. No fun driving home after that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom