Most Heroic SU QB games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most Heroic SU QB games

I remember that day well. I picked you up after your long day of apple picking. You were wearing short pants and a pork pie hat. You had to sit on a turnip crate so you could sit up high enough to see out. We drove down Salina street and you took furious notes recording everything you saw along the way.

We got to the game early, me with a flask of rot gut whiskey tucked in my raccoon skin coat. We stopped at a tailgate on the way up the hill, and I believe it was Dick (who would later move to
Michigan) who gave you your first taste of ginger ale!

We were anxious to see how first year coach Reaves Baysinger would have the boys ready for the new season. You watched the warmups with the serious intent of a old school journalist, writing copious notes in your Felix the Cat notebook.

As the band marched by, prior to the game you leaned over the railing just a little too far, and fell over landing right in one of the tubas. The tuba player, unaware of what had just happened, continued his March alongside the other 99 members of the band and a girl. You ended up riding the tuba all over the field in an event that will never be forgotten in SU marching band folklore. And perhaps the start of your fascination with the sousaphone!

SU won the game that day, defeating Temple 28-12. And so began a lifelong devotion to Syracuse football!
You had to have written the narrative to " A River Runs Through It".

Thanks for posting the video; great to relive that.

Favorite part of that clip is Graves, after he tossed the go ahead TD to Gedney, celebrates by catching a cup thrown at him by a member of the Tooth Brigade and pretends to take a sip from it.

View attachment 208682

The hit Graves took on that option keeper on that drive would've killed a lesser man.

2 hour 35 minute mark
[dont say it dont say it dont say it]

Sorry I can't help myself. I love those uniforms and don't understand why that exact helmet and color scheme can't be our current away jerseys.

1634230388923.png

Most gutless?

Terrell Hunt getting ejected for throwing a cheap shot punch vs. Villanova

Most gutless?

Terrell Hunt getting ejected for throwing a cheap shot punch vs. Villanova
What a nightmare that game was. I still can't believe Nova missed what was essentially an extra point to win the game.

I believe their kicker died of dysentery, and an defensive lineman missed the game after suffering a snakebite. :p
I checked and the account I read of the game was wrong.

Cornell did not go to the Rose Bowl after that season. They never went to the Rose Bowl. In 1939 however, they did go undefeated.

They were invited to the Rose Bowl and might have ended up national champions had they accepted and won. But they decided to stay home and focus on school work and AP voted Texas A&M national champs.

If I remember correctly, All4SU bet a nickel on Texas A&M, won big and bought all the kids in the neighborhood a box of cracker jack. Those were the days!

Correct on the Harris being gone.

But I don't think correct on the switch to 4-3. I don't think that happened until 1995 when Ed Orgeron (yes, that one) joined the staff. I recall him talking Pasqualoni into it, trying the Miami model.

1993 was when Conley went out early with an injury, and we were just so thin and young at the 2 inside linebacker spots. Even moved Kevin Mitchell back there, which made us weaker at NT.

That 1993 WVU game was awful. It was one week after Miami beat us 49-0, and WVU downed the ball inside our 5 instead of making it 50-0. I also recall it being announced over the PA that they were no longer serving alcohol to people wearing WVU apparel.
Could be. I may be off by a year. Maybe it was 1994. I'm pretty sure it happened before 1995. 1995 had a solid defense. I remember the first year we changed we had growing pains.

I checked and the account I read of the game was wrong.

Cornell did not go to the Rose Bowl after that season. They never went to the Rose Bowl. In 1939 however, they did go undefeated.

They were invited to the Rose Bowl and might have ended up national champions had they accepted and won. But they decided to stay home and focus on school work and AP voted Texas A&M national champs.

If I remember correctly, All4SU bet a nickel on Texas A&M, won big and bought all the kids in the neighborhood a box of cracker jack. Those were the days!
Some interesting stats for that game that make his performance seem even more heroic:
Syracuse had 187 yards passing for the game. All in the 4th quarter when Singh took over passing duties.
He completed 7 of 8 pass attempts. 3 of those going for touchdowns.
Syracuse attempted 4 passes through the first 3 quarters. 2 of them were intercepted.
His favorite receiver had one of the greatest names ever for Syracuse football. Dick Banger. He caught 2 of the 3 4th quarter touchdowns including the game winner.