Most important position QB | Syracusefan.com

Most important position QB

kcsu

Living Legend
Watching Cincy go from a team that on any day could play with most teams in the country to what i witnessed yesterday i would have to say DM should place major emphasis on the QB position. I really hope that after next year we see the start of a true dual option QB. At this point i would much rather take a great running QB average passer over a good passer who isnt mobile.

Watching Cincy go from a team that on any day could play with most teams in the country to what i witnessed yesterday i would have to say DM should place major emphasis on the QB position. I really hope that after next year we see the start of a true dual option QB. At this point i would much rather take a great running QB average passer over a good passer who isnt mobile.

Great poost and it seems like the direction we are heading with Kinder, Miller (if he comes back), Hunt and Broyld in the fold.

From some of the recruiting articles it also looks like we are talking to another from the same mold in Maryland (Milan Collins) and OE posted an article last week about another 2013 QB from NYC area that was of the same mold (I forget his name)

Lets not get carried away ... they were absolutely manhandled by a middling SEC team in Tennesee ... but you are correct that QB is a critical position ... glad those top teams like Bama, LSU, Okie State, Boise ... um oh wait they don't have overly mobile QBs ... I know that Jefferson for LSU is a nice change up ... but lets face it the others aren't exactly fleet of foot .. neither is Barkley, Luck, Landry Jones or some of the other top QBs out there ... even Moore at Boise ... mobile QBs are ideal for some systems ... not others.

The teams you mentioned have elite talent year in and year out. Their QB's job is to run the O and get the all to the playmakers. The differance is that we do not have elite talent and cant in my opinion to play 10 on 11 against the opposing D's. A mobile QB evens the field and makes all of the other skill players better by forcing the D to account for him. Syracuse needs a mobile QB and i think we have two on the roster and soon to be three in man child AB. Why not give them a shot?

The teams you mentioned have elite talent year in and year out. Their QB's job is to run the O and get the all to the playmakers. The differance is that we do not have elite talent and cant in my opinion to play 10 on 11 against the opposing D's. A mobile QB evens the field and makes all of the other skill players better by forcing the D to account for him. Syracuse needs a mobile QB and i think we have two on the roster and soon to be three in man child AB. Why not give them a shot?

I'm not saying we don't give them a shot ... and I am not saying the QB position is not important however this magical theory that a mobile QB instantly makes us better amazes me ... FWIW Munchie is just as mobile as Collaros if not more so ... and look at what it got them. The edict that everyone loves the backup QB never ceases to exist I suppose.

Basically, our QB doesn't compare to some of the elite college kids out there. It's night and day seeing Collaros play and that back-up Munchie or whatever. Nassib is just a pinch better than Munchie.

Basically, our QB doesn't compare to some of the elite college kids out there. It's night and day seeing Collaros play and that back-up Munchie or whatever. Nassib is just a pinch better than Munchie.
Come on. I know some people dont like Nassib but Ryan is not that bad. Munchie had about seven passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage. He is a better runner than Nassib but at this point he is not nearly as good a quarterback. Way too many people want to blame this year on Nassib. Start with the terrible secondary and a very average running game at best, then get back to me on Nassib. Ryan is a decent college quarterback. If he played in a better system and had better players a top 25 team would be fine with him. Do you really belive the QB from Alabama is that much better than Ryan. Sorry to rant but Ryan Nassib is the least of this teams problems. If every kid on this team was as hard of a worker as Ryan we would be 7-3 at the worst.

Having a great athlete at the position that touches the ball every play is a must.

Having a great athlete at the position that touches the ball every play is a must.
Sure (no news there), but our principal gaps haven't been at the QB spot this year. Most of the top 20 teams have a much better #2 runner; a much better WR pairing; much better LBs. Ryan is having an above average year (compared to QBs in the Big East) -- can't say the same for several other key positions.

Sure (no news there), but our principal gaps haven't been at the QB spot this year. Most of the top 20 teams have a much better #2 runner; a much better WR pairing; much better LBs. Ryan is having an above average year (compared to QBs in the Big East) -- can't say the same for several other key positions.

True.

Defense has been the primary concern.

But right now the subject seems to be the QB position.

For the program to advance we have to get better at the QB position - as much as I respect and like Ryan Nassib.

An athletic QB can cover for deficiencies in other positions. I'm not sure Ryan can do that at this point.

True.

For the program to advance we have to get better at the QB position - as much as I respect and like Ryan Nassib.

An athletic QB can cover for deficiencies in other positions. I'm not sure Ryan can do that at this point.
I agree with the main point (dual threat QB), and we have that in the mix with Broyld, maybe Hunt, and ideally another running QB in the class of 2013. It looks like Marrone already got your message.

For next year, we have Nassib -- and I hope we have a couple of useful RBs and an upgrade at WR for him to work with.

I'd have to agree. Cincy scored 3 points vs rutgirlz which is atrocious. SU offense scored 6 points against Rutgirlz in regulation 9 points if you include overtime which is equally atrocious. Point being are offense is atrocious

I'd have to agree. Cincy scored 3 points vs rutgirlz which is atrocious. SU offense scored 6 points against Rutgirlz in regulation 9 points if you include overtime which is equally atrocious. Point being are offense is atrocious

Yep and we turned the ball over three more times than Cincy did and if I recall correctly 2 or 3 times in scoring position. If we don't we put up a lot more points.

yeah and one should have been caught on the slant for a TD ...
thats an int in the redzone even worse.. plus it was to a freshman wide receiver number 87 who rarely plays in games, who didn't make any plays of note in the ernie davis scrimmage, who was probably in for blocking...His audible to quick slant was not his best decision..

True.

Until our offensive line (several meanings) is upgraded significantly, no QB is going to look good.

thats an int in the redzone even worse.. plus it was to a freshman wide receiver number 87 who rarely plays in games, who didn't make any plays of note in the ernie davis scrimmage, who was probably in for blocking...His audible to quick slant was not his best decision..

And yet you continue to miss my point ... :bang: I didn't realize Nassib had control over who saw the field ...

I simply want the most talented, fastest and strongest players SU can get on the team. The qb position is important no doubt but if you can surround the qb with talent and have a qb that doesn't lose games but can make some plays for you, you'll have a very good team. I firmly believe if SU can get a playmaker on offense and improve their o-line than they will have a very good season next year.

On another note, can anyone name or claim that any SEC qb is really above average?

Stephen Garcia was a Heisman candidate...

A lot of hype and he was very inconsistent. 12 schools and he was one of the top, this is why I'm a firm believer in getting all around talent as the key and a solid qb that won't lose games for you and make a play or two. It's kind of funny but Tennessee has Manning for 4 years and doesn't win it all, gets Martin and wins it all.

A lot of hype and he was very inconsistent. 12 schools and he was one of the top, this is why I'm a firm believer in getting all around talent as the key and a solid qb that won't lose games for you and make a play or two. It's kind of funny but Tennessee has Manning for 4 years and doesn't win it all, gets Martin and wins it all.
This was a joke. Stephen Garcia was nowhere close to a heisman candidate. Probably one of the worst QBs in the country.

This was a joke. Stephen Garcia was nowhere close to a heisman candidate. Probably one of the worst QBs in the country.

Not to mention no longer even on the team since Spurrier finally booted him for good a month or two ago...

On another note, can anyone name or claim that any SEC qb is really above average?

fanfanclubclub informed me that both LSU QBs are first day NFL draft picks ... obviously you are mistaken :bat: