Most Improved Part Of The Team | Syracusefan.com

Most Improved Part Of The Team

Shenexon

All American
We've had some impressive elements to the team this year. The offense and special teams were perhaps our best segments consistently, but think our defense showed the most improvement from the beginning to the end of the season. WVU may have been without important parts of their team but they still had great players on the field and we held them scoreless from midway through the 3rd quarter. Kudos to the defensive guys that made 10 wins possible...

We've had some impressive elements to the team this year. The offense and special teams were perhaps our best segments consistently, but think our defense showed the most improvement from the beginning to the end of the season. WVU may have been without important parts of their team but they still had great players on the field and we held them scoreless from midway through the 3rd quarter. Kudos to the defensive guys that made 10 wins possible...
agreed

Not enough credit has been given to Ward IMO. We wanted to bury him and his system after year 2 and couldn't believe Dino didn't make a change I even remember people calling for the AD to step in and save Dino from himself and remove Ward for him. We can't have it both ways have to give him credit also.

IMHO Special Teams was the most improved with D-Line second. Parts of the defense have some work to do and I frankly don't think that the O-Line lived up to preseason hype. Our running game was limited because of blocking for much of the season and ED was getting clobbered in the first half of the bowl game.

Last edited:
Not enough credit has been given to Ward IMO. We wanted to bury him and his system after year 2 and couldn't believe Dino didn't make a change I even remember people calling for the AD to step in and save Dino from himself and remove Ward for him. We can't have it both ways have to give him credit also.

Totally agree. Have to find a way to cut down on so many chunk plays allowed but the improvement was very clear. Near the top nationally in both sacks and turnovers after being near the bottom just a year ago is quite the turnaround

WVU missing their players helped, but SU's D was missing some big pieces too. Robinson, Williams x2...

IMHO Special Teams was the most improved with D-Line second. Parts of the defense have some work to do and I frankly don't think that the O-Line lived up to preseason hype. Our running game was limited because of blocking for much of the season and EG was getting clobbered in the first half of the bowl game.

The OL was not that good indeed. That is why I am not as worried about replacing 3 starters I think there is talent waiting in the wings to hopefully step things up a bit.

The reduction of injuries was the biggest improvement.
Agreed, definitely helps. Kudos to the strength and conditioning staff. But what’s more important is the depth we are starting to build. #32 (I’ll butcher his last name) barely played all year other than specials and he’s came in and balled out yesterday. Cordy is out, trill is out answer he stepped up as the next man. Didn’t miss a beat. He played very well

Don't really think our defense changed that much. Defensively they are still slower than others. And make stupid mistakes that give up yardage. But the difference maker defensively is pressure. Alton and Coleman have wrecked havoc. And this has lead to more sacks and turnovers.

Don't really think our defense changed that much. Defensively they are still slower than others. And make stupid mistakes that give up yardage. But the difference maker defensively is pressure. Alton and Coleman have wrecked havoc. And this has lead to more sacks and turnovers.

You are crazy. Coverage was night and day better this year, and the raw materials of the newcomers is so, so, so much better than prior classes.

IMHO Special Teams was the most improved with D-Line second. Parts of the defense have some work to do and I frankly don't think that the O-Line lived up to preseason hype. Our running game was limited because of blocking for much of the season and EG was getting clobbered in the first half of the bowl game.

The running game was the biggest improvement by far. 38 rushing tds this year vs 16 last year. Way up in total yds and average as well

If you don’t think 38 tds is a big deal it was 8th in the country going into the game between Oklahoma and Navy.

I was part of that group. He grew as a DC this year and geared away from t-2 and more into downhill football. Aggressive calling last 5 games but as a dc he #hould have seen this in week 1 and not after Pitt game. Stop run first on run downs and morph into a pass first team on pass downs. Remember if he had changed in game 3 or maybe four we woulda been 12-1. Downhill and aggressive. Great job coach.

You are crazy. Coverage was night and day better this year, and the raw materials of the newcomers is so, so, so much better than prior classes.

It improved but not nearly as much the pass rush and the turnover margin. We still get beat a ton. Case and point Sills be wide open in that bowl game. The DB guessed. You don't do that ever. things in front of you. Even tho Cisco was always a ballhawk... he went through a lot of freshman growing pain at the beginning of the year. But that was expected. When Scoop Bradshaw leaves I do think this defensive secondary will reach another level. I think he is holding that unit back quite a bit. Once Trill is ready to start consistently I think you will see true improvement out of the secondary.

And of course I think our pass rush really helped our secondary as a whole. Giving QBs less time to throw is huge.

Says something that almost every unit has been called out as "most improved" this year. Season over season is one aspect and seeing a defense that was picked apart last year lead the nation in turnovers this season was immense. But in terms of in season improvement how about some love for that LB corps. Many were ready to bury them in September then Guthrie became a beast, an undersized Whitner really came on and Shy, Armstrong and others provided real depth. Big part of the overall improvement of the D.

Says something that almost every unit has been called out as "most improved" this year. Season over season is one aspect and seeing a defense that was picked apart last year lead the nation in turnovers this season was immense. But in terms of in season improvement how about some love for that LB corps. Many were ready to bury them in September then Guthrie became a beast, an undersized Whitner really came on and Shy, Armstrong and others provided real depth. Big part of the overall improvement of the D.
They all certainly surprised me!

I disagree as we are covering guys way better than in beginning of year. W mich now wouldn’t be close with our backs. We have some really talented guys back there.

Well coach decided to let kids be more aggressive and play downhill at lb. huge difference when ur stuck waiting to read the play and it’s a 5 yd gain or figure the play out at los and have a no gainer or at least a 2 yd gain. This is where Guthrie and Shy stepped up as I think they are natural at that. As Bam told us they kinda shackled the kids there and when they said go we went. That’s why we have a ton of los tackles after Pitt game. We let the dogs out lol

Totally agree. Have to find a way to cut down on so many chunk plays allowed but the improvement was very clear. Near the top nationally in both sacks and turnovers after being near the bottom just a year ago is quite the turnaround

And 3 down conversion rate. Even held WVU to 33%.

Our tackling definitely improved throughout the season. During that Clemson/Pitt stretch, I feared that run defense would be the downfall of this team for the rest of the year. But the linebacker crew as well as some people in the secondary stepped up and our defense looked excellent during the second part of the season because of it.

Also I can't stress enough how stupid it is that Fredrick did not even get an all-ACC honorable mention, he's a fantastic cornerback.

I was one of them. I knew lot of it was due to injuries and depth but the way we ended last year defensively left a bad taste in my mouth. My issue wasnt the system, I had concerns with how hard the kids played and executed in the system. They truly embraced it this year and I saw some big time development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom