Most interesting Stat I saw after the Toledo game | Syracusefan.com

Most interesting Stat I saw after the Toledo game

Alsacs

Living Legend
HCDM is 15-14 in his SU career, but when SU scores 21 points or more SU is 12-1 (lone loss 56-31 garbage to UConn). So if we can score 21 usually we outshoot our opponents. When SU doesn't score 21 they are 3-13 under Marrone.

What does that tell you? If our defense, especially the secondary, performed better the offense should not need to score >21 pts to win games.

Secondary is young, I'm optimistic they improve as the season moves on.

"What does that tell you? If our defense, especially the secondary, performed better the offense should not need to score >21 pts to win games.

Secondary is young, I'm optimistic they improve as the season moves on."
Tells me the opposite. College Football is a game built on offenses. If our offense can score a reasonable amount of points, then our defensive strategy is more than adequate to win those games. 21+ points from an offense in college is nothing. It's kind of scary that in 29 games we've scored less than 21 points 16 times.

I think the bigger thing to focus on is that we are allowing 30 in the last 5 games yet went 4-1 because we are actually starting to score. Uconn/BC/UL beat use because we couldn't score 29 pts. Thats only 1 more td a game. We need to get closer to 400 yds, which will probably start to yield the extra pts we need. If you looked at just the scoring drives its strange how easily we score and then struggle to get a first down.

If you looked at just the scoring drives its strange how easily we score and then struggle to get a first down.

I agree. I've noticed win this team that we seem to easily get in the end zone on a four play drive but just as easily can go 3 and out.

HCDM is 15-14 in his SU career, but when SU scores 21 points or more SU is 12-1 (lone loss 56-31 garbage to UConn). So if we can score 21 usually we outshoot our opponents. When SU doesn't score 21 they are 3-13 under Marrone.

The thing is that those stats are based more on the defenses of the 2009 and 2010 squads, which I believe had better defensive units than this year's team. As such, scoring 21+ points this year doesn't mean we're odds-on to win.

What does that tell you? If our defense, especially the secondary, performed better the offense should not need to score >21 pts to win games.

Secondary is young, I'm optimistic they improve as the season moves on.

Secondary is young, I'm optimistic they improve as the season moves on."
Tells me the opposite. College Football is a game built on offenses. If our offense can score a reasonable amount of points, then our defensive strategy is more than adequate to win those games. 21+ points from an offense in college is nothing. It's kind of scary that in 29 games we've scored less than 21 points 16 times.
I'm 100% with Lits on this. Offense under the Marrone regime has barely been adequate, which is frustrating when you look at how easy it seems to be for other programs to punch it in the end zone five times a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom