Most underrated player going into next year. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most underrated player going into next year.

I suspect Keita will be the surprise as well, the first year without injury and he's only played about 5 years. He's really just started to learn the game.

Honestly? I think it's Brandon Triche. People have basically written him off as being "he is what he is." He is the lead dog now. I think he will surprise people.
SU periodically comes up with guys who've had decent careers along the way, but as seniors play like men among boys. Would love to see BT step it up to a consistently higher level. Has the physical tools & shown spurts of excellent skill.

Is Moqui, like, a really big dude or something? He's the only one I can think of that has that criticism of Thickburger.
He hasnt exactly shown any SF skills. He hasnt shown the ability to hit the 3-ball with any regularity and when he tried to create off the dribble it resembled a baby deer on ice. I think he has a role but unless he can go right, shoot the 3, and create off the dribble he really is an undersized PF. I think he has talent and can develop these things, but until he does...

I would have to go with Brandon Triche. Many have said "he is what he is" and he hasn't shown the leadership skills. Well, he is a classic example of roles changing, and waiting your turn. It is now his turn and I think he has been groomed for the role.

As for the interesting BMK answer - wrong albanycuse question to break that out. Should have waited for the "Who do you hope does not get big minutes?" question. Because if BMK is getting big minutes it means DC2 is not playing to his potential (much like '10-'11 with Fab). Even then, the BMK answer is still wrong because of J Grant (similar logic but with Rak/Dirty/and CJ in the mix), but at least it's close.

Let them get on the court and settle these questions/opinions the best way possible. You know ,by actually playing basketball for theSUball

I would have to go with Brandon Triche. Many have said "he is what he is" and he hasn't shown the leadership skills. Well, he is a classic example of roles changing, and waiting your turn. It is now his turn and I think he has been groomed for the role.

I hope you're right about Triche's game evolving as a senior, but I know from reading this board that the guy has yet to make a play in a big spot. He may have a fundamentally sound all-around game, but so what? Plus he's missing the "leadership" gene -- he never smiles, slaps the floor, pounds his chest or bellows at the top of his lungs during a game.

I hope you're right about Triche's game evolving as a senior, but I know from reading this board that the guy has yet to make a play in a big spot. He may have a fundamentally sound all-around game, but so what? Plus he's missing the "leadership" gene -- he never smiles, slaps the floor, pounds his chest or bellows at the top of his lungs during a game.
And I don't like to have to say this because I hate when other people put unsubstantiated rumors on the internet, but word is up on the hill that he has "huge personal demons".

And I don't like to have to say this because I hate when other people put unsubstantiated rumors on the internet, but word is up on the hill that he has "huge personal demons".

As opposed to your "average size personal demons" or "huge impersonal demons", so I'm glad you made the distinction.

You just put an unsubstantiated rumor" on the internet guy! Its wrong of you to do so regardless of your SOURCE Unless you know the player personally which,even then doesn't excuse this kind of description which alludes to more than it says in words.Wrong is wrong.:mad:

You just put an unsubstantiated rumor" on the internet guy! Its wrong of you to do so regardless of your SOURCE Unless you know the player personally which,even then doesn't excuse this kind of description which alludes to more than it says in words.Wrong is wrong.:mad:
Cali, I'm pretty sure Sgt Cuse's post was meant to mock previous ridiculous posts on the subject, which have been plentiful on this board for some time. I believe we're all on the same side here.

He hasnt exactly shown any SF skills. He hasnt shown the ability to hit the 3-ball with any regularity and when he tried to create off the dribble it resembled a baby deer on ice. I think he has a role but unless he can go right, shoot the 3, and create off the dribble he really is an undersized PF. I think he has talent and can develop these things, but until he does...

This is the trouble.

Since the invention of basketball, we've seen terrible shooters learn how to shoot, guys who can't drive finally start to take it to the hoop with success. All sorts of other improvements. But it's pretty rare for a young guy to become ambidextrous after having played basketball for his whole life without being able to use one hand.

I'm all for developing new skills, but being able to use both hands is - for most soon-to-be college juniors - one of those "got it or you don't" skills. It's not something you learn this late in your career.

That he can't go right will increasingly handicap C.J., who I predict will continue to work hard on his shooting and become at least a serviceable wing. He'll still probably become a good small forward - when we consider the guys who've come before him, "able to use both hands" and "dribble-drive ability" haven't exactly been a common theme.

It'll be a difficult transition period as the focal point of most defenses, though. Should be interesting to see how well he passes out of trouble - he's always been a smart player, so he could do pretty well.

CJ has some proving to do with certain aspects of his skill set, no question about it, but I disagree with the highlighted statement 100%. He can put the ball on the floor. That he hasn't demonstrated it much in games is different from him not being able to do it. In fact, I think people are going to be shocked when they see how adroitly he handles the ball this upcoming season--he creates off the dribble in practice all the time.

Cali, I'm pretty sure Sgt Cuse's post was meant to mock previous ridiculous posts on the subject, which have been plentiful on this board for some time. I believe we're all on the same side here.
OK Nothing personal all is good.;)

I think Triche has the potential to be a more athletic Edelin in the lane, only he will look to score first pass second. When he gets his spot inside the arc he is a true pound the paint and score type.

As I put in my other posts Triche and CJ are really good transition half court scorers. Which means when they get some space on their man they make things happen. If they ever find the way to get by their man in isolation then look out they both could both be first team all big east.

That being said, I also think this team could benefit widely from passing the ball around and not depending so much on the isolation, but I am not so sure JB would ever plan a team that way running screens and ball movement instead of isolation.

I think Triche has the potential to be a more athletic Edelin in the lane, only he will look to score first pass second. When he gets his spot inside the arc he is a true pound the paint and score type.
Brandon may be many things but there is not one single part of his game or even his potential game that is even remotely reminicent of Edelin's game. If your point was that Brandon could be used to post up smaller guards in the lane I agree. But I can't see Brandon putting the ball on the floor once he's in the paint.

To clarify my point is how effective brandon is when he gets in the paint. Not a edelin-like skillset, but he has a nasty lean in jumper, pretty good dishing skills, and invites physical D.